BC Forestry Being Proactive

nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

BC Forestry Being Proactive

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Nice to see BC Forestry being proactive in regard to forest maintenance. Haven't seen this since the early 2000s when things started to be contracted to contractors and large companies by BC Liberals. That's when nothing was being done and we had fires every year all around the province.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/ ... ear-Lytton
lumorris

Parliamentary committee to investigate B.C. forestry giant

Post by lumorris »

Parliamentary committee to investigate B.C. forestry giant - maybe they can find out where all the BC forests are going. All the old growth. I think it would be a good thing for us to know. I think they know but they don't want to tell us. And what are they going to do when they find out? It sounds to me like China owns our forests. I am so sick of what the government is doing with our resources. Where can we find honest, intelligent, forward thinking people to run the government.
DarbyD
Übergod

Parliamentary committee to investigate B.C. forestry giant

Post by DarbyD »

Investigating a Forestry Giant with strong ties to China:
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/419034 ... stry-giant
“We will be asking owner Jackson Wijaya to testify about links to Asia Pulp and Paper (APP) and Chinese government financing. We need these hearings asap.”

The probe comes following a months-long journalistic investigation conducted by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) — including media partners Glacier Media, the CBC, the Halifax Examiner, Le Monde and Radio France — into the company’s overseas ties.
Glacier Media's review of shipping data showed pulp shipments from Canada have gone to buyers with opaque corporate ownership in Indonesia and China. Through satellite images and marine tracking technology, Glacier Media traced a pulp shipment from a mill in British Columbia to Shanghai, which ended up at a company with corporate links to APP. The Asian conglomerate denied ever buying pulp “directly” from Paper Excellence.
What a World !
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: BC Forestry Being Proactive

Post by GordonH »

Holy :swear: BC still has Forestry Minister, with the amount of mills shutting down I’m kinda surprised.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gertlush
Übergod

Post by gertlush »

Dont worry bout China, we mismanaged these forests all by ourselves.

That stuff about Paper Excellence is just muckraking - whats the actual issue theyve identified? Ooo scary, they once had a loan from China, and sold their pulp to the largest pulp buyer in the world, scandalous!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bumped up

Another industry looking to remove more people from the payroll.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/427886 ... try-future
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote: May 21st, 2023, 8:48 am Bumped up

Sounded more like same number of operators but they are working from a safer place.
You should always treat those with mental illness with compassion, but you shouldn't elect them president twice
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote: May 21st, 2023, 9:02 am
GordonH wrote: May 21st, 2023, 8:48 am Bumped up

Sounded more like same number of operators but they are working from a safer place.
Over years fewer and fewer fallers are needed, those jobs are gone. As it is seeing more and more Sawmills closing in BC, it’s sad.
Curious though were is all lumber coming from for the amount of new construction happening, okay to US mills and brought back for sale.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

It's all about survival now, more than ever.

I've seen huge changes in the industry, all brought on by eliminating people. Part of it is the push by unions for ever increasing wages, but now it's the shortage of timber.

Mills are closing because the timber is gone. AACs cut, fires, mountain pine beetle, environmental movements forcing more timber to be set aside as parks or wilderness, competition from foreign lumber producers.
These pressures are forcing even more automation upon companies.

I am so glad to be out of it.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)
My pronouns are Sir/Mr.
XY ≠ XX
gertlush
Übergod

Post by gertlush »

Yup, the idea that ChatGPT is somehow going to fix everything is ridiculous.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: May 21st, 2023, 9:37 am
We kinda figured you were out of it! :biggrin:
You should always treat those with mental illness with compassion, but you shouldn't elect them president twice
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: May 21st, 2023, 9:37 am I am so glad to be out of it.

Same and would not recommend forestry as a career at the moment.
GordonH wrote: May 21st, 2023, 9:10 am Over years fewer and fewer fallers are needed, those jobs are gone.
yep but some are still required in certain situations.
I was out today with a friend and fell a couple for firewood. Cuts lined up and was happy.

used to be steep side hls were felled by hand, now we have this :https://www.falconforestryequipment.com ... ch-assists
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Bsuds wrote: May 21st, 2023, 10:54 am
Babba_not_Gump wrote: May 21st, 2023, 9:37 am
We kinda figured you were out of it! :biggrin:
Yup, more pickups, no more busting through the bush, no more listening to whining union workers, office workers, logging contractors, janitors, bosses.

Feet up, coffee or beer in my hand, only one boss to listen to now. :hailjo:
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)
My pronouns are Sir/Mr.
XY ≠ XX
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

BC Wildfire Service is being more proactive with "feelings" rather than safety nowadays - I hear...
a previous practice was to give "newbies" different coveralls than the more seasoned firefighters.
Then new management put in a policy to get rid of that "shaming", or pleb mentality... and change to the same outfit for all and get rid of the "discrimination".
The ignorant thing is (and it makes total sense to me) when a new fire fighter is in the middle of an active fire surrounded by various fire fighters that may be from different regions of the province, perhaps even from another province or country to assist, they won't be able to distinguish an experienced fighter vs a newbie and might hand him/her a chainsaw and due to the inexperience may fall a tree in the wrong direction, kill/injure him/herself, or others :(
.. just one hypothesis I know... but there are more than enough others out there but you get the point.
Censorship may lead to lack of information and subsequent development of apathy, ignorance, conformism and general stagnation. It may threaten democracy and encourage subversive activities.

Return to “B.C.”