Vancouver cleans up sidewalk tent city

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Vancouver cleans up sidewalk tent city

Post by Catsumi »

I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw this. A turnabout!

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#419799
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Vancouver cleans up sidewalk tent city

Post by Even Steven »

"Vancouver shuffles bums around"

Here's the true headline [icon_lol2.gif]
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

They should open up the former Riverview Hosptal for the homeless. They can have their own little village and be supplied food. Security could be hired to keep the peace.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I wonder where the 'rug' is.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

6 months late but Good on them to do this. Hope it sets a precedent and the homeless now set up in places other than street sidewalks.

What a disgusting mess.
Mark5 wrote: Apr 5th, 2023, 11:57 pm They should open up the former Riverview Hosptal for the homeless.
The ones that have mental challenges where operating in society is a challenge, need a Riverview, homeless or not.
Unfortunately two things happened in the past, governments realize this is expensive and bleeding hearts said they should be integrated into society.

This is the result....and not just in Vancouver, we see it up and down the Okanagan.
How to square the challenged ones that have recently arrived from other provinces to be admitted into BC's care at BC's expense.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

The government was able to have power over folks health when covid came. Time to do the same for those suffering g mental health issues and attempting suicide over and over. Arrest them all under the mental health act and don’t release them. Make it an arrestable offence to block a sidewalk or occupy public space.
Enough!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Catsumi wrote: Apr 5th, 2023, 9:11 pm I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw this. A turnabout!

Here’s the last few paragraphs from that article.
The VPD says it has also "identified concerns about sexual violence in the area," with respondents to a recent Atira Women’s Society survey stating they felt unsafe and had "experienced violence, including sexual assault."

Police have also reported a "nine per cent increase in assaults in the DTES since last August when the encampment began, with the encampment zone accounting for 28 per cent of all assaults."

There has also been an increase in weaponsfrom tents in the zone being used in the commission of crimes, according to the VPD.

Ryan Sudds, with Stop the Sweep Coalition, was on scene for the dismantlement and says a lot of people’s homes are being taken without a place for them to go.

“People don’t want to leave because they don’t have the housing that they want,” he says. “They don’t have another safe location to go to.”
Pitiful isn’t it? They don’t want to leave because the don’t have the housing they want
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

Catsumi wrote: Apr 6th, 2023, 6:59 pm
Catsumi wrote: Apr 5th, 2023, 9:11 pm I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw this. A turnabout!

Here’s the last few paragraphs from that article.
The VPD says it has also "identified concerns about sexual violence in the area," with respondents to a recent Atira Women’s Society survey stating they felt unsafe and had "experienced violence, including sexual assault."

Police have also reported a "nine per cent increase in assaults in the DTES since last August when the encampment began, with the encampment zone accounting for 28 per cent of all assaults."

There has also been an increase in weaponsfrom tents in the zone being used in the commission of crimes, according to the VPD.

Ryan Sudds, with Stop the Sweep Coalition, was on scene for the dismantlement and says a lot of people’s homes are being taken without a place for them to go.

“People don’t want to leave because they don’t have the housing that they want,” he says. “They don’t have another safe location to go to.”
Pitiful isn’t it? They don’t want to leave because the don’t have the housing they want
In 2018, the Liberals created what has become known as “catch-and-release” bail in Canada. It is now Canadian law that anyone arrested in this country — even if they are arrested for a repeat violent offence — must be released as quickly as possible, except in the rarest circumstances.

Although the Liberals won’t acknowledge the folly of this bleeding-heart law, it surprises no one else that it has led to a spike in violent crime. Preliminary statistics from the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police and other sources show that nearly half of violent crimes being committed in Canada are now being committed by people out on bail, parole or statutory release.

D’uh.
"If I find out who's been running this country for the last 8.5 yrs into the ground, there will be hell to pay",,,,,,,,,Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Tents will be back as soon as the homeless get new ones from donors.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

they need to create a Camp site for these people with a public shower/bathroom/laundry facilities, but it won't be close to the downtown core which I think is not want many of them want. But this can no longer be tolerated out of safety. The Fire Chief said last yr they took out something like 1600 propane tanks and 50 with this move out, she said that a 100 lb propane tank exploding in an enclosed in area like that would be devastating and cause massive deaths and injuries.
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

That is half the problem, calling them 'the homeless' isn't an accurate portrayal of what society is dealing with. Yes some are people with no fixed address, but the vast majority are just leeches on society. Too lazy to work, living off the avails of crime, drug and alcohol addicted criminals.

They cleaned up the tent city on Hastings St and only 8 people accepted housing they were offered. Goes to show you how things really roll out.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

blueliner wrote: Apr 7th, 2023, 8:49 am That is half the problem, calling them 'the homeless' isn't an accurate portrayal of what society is dealing with. Yes some are people with no fixed address, but the vast majority are just leeches on society. Too lazy to work, living off the avails of crime, drug and alcohol addicted criminals.

They cleaned up the tent city on Hastings St and only 8 people accepted housing they were offered. Goes to show you how things really roll out.
:up:
Getting the mentally ill out of there and you'll only put a small dent in the population. You're still stuck with the addicts who are a large portion of those living there, along with the leaches and dealers.
Oh yes then there's all the "charities" surviving off these dregs of society.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

blueliner wrote: Apr 6th, 2023, 4:47 pm The government was able to have power over folks health when covid came. Time to do the same for those suffering g mental health issues and attempting suicide over and over. Arrest them all under the mental health act and don’t release them. Make it an arrestable offence to block a sidewalk or occupy public space.
Enough!
10/10 :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

In the news ..
'Cruel and dehumanizing': B.C.'s largest union says of East Hastings decampment
https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/04/0 ... ecampment/

I suggest, move them to CUPE offices then. :biggrin:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

BC Landlord wrote: Apr 9th, 2023, 8:51 am In the news ..
'Cruel and dehumanizing': B.C.'s largest union says of East Hastings decampment
https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/04/0 ... ecampment/

I suggest, move them to CUPE offices then. :biggrin:
If CUPE is willing to provide homes for these street campers, I say go for it.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “B.C.”