Vancouver cleans up sidewalk tent city

BC Landlord
Guru

Re: Vancouver cleans up sidewalk tent city

Post by BC Landlord »

GordonH wrote: Apr 9th, 2023, 8:56 am If CUPE is willing to provide homes for these street campers, I say go for it.
The thing is, they never walk the talk.
Posters who once get on my ignore list do not get off it easily. They would have to demonstrably improve their behavior.
Current # of posters on my list: 2
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

BC Landlord wrote: Apr 9th, 2023, 8:51 am In the news ..
'Cruel and dehumanizing': B.C.'s largest union says of East Hastings decampment
https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/04/0 ... ecampment/

I suggest, move them to CUPE offices then. :biggrin:
:smt045 :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

One of the very best shops is located on that street, a sewing goods shop that has been there for decades. It had everything you could think of for making costumes, ballet supplies, fabrics and miscellaneous goods. I wonder if they are still open or simply disappeared underwater when no one could enter or exit their shop.

Funny that CUPE condemns removal of the tent town and bleats sympathy for the “homeless”,but hasn’t an iota of sympathy for the businesses that pay city taxes and their CUPE paycheques

Imagine too, being in a business there with the thought in the back of your mind that those tent-critters, high as kites or doped into complete stupidity, have propane tanks in their possession. :200:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

And for years there was a great little seafood restaurant at 20 East Hastings. Long gone now though, a victim of its neighbourhood.
png0616-only-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)
My pronouns are Sir/Mr.
XY ≠ XX
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Apr 9th, 2023, 10:06 pm And for years there was a great little seafood restaurant at 20 East Hastings. Long gone now though, a victim of its neighbourhood.
png0616-only-1.jpg
I remember that place. Had lunch there once or twice many years past. It was good!
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Ah, the mystery meat...
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I remember a little place just off Pigeon Square that served corned beef sandwiches. No seats, no inside access, just a window on to the sidewalk. Best sandwich ever. Ancient history now.
When asked what he thought of Western civilization, Mahatma Ghandi replied "I think it would be a very good idea."
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I remember seeing it, but never went in for a try.

That area was once so colourful and interesting with different cultures represented. I remember a couple of furniture shops with gorgeous Japanese screens, beautifully carved woodwork oval tables and dressers made from exotic woods from China, Chinese “dollar stores” where you could buy art brushes, paper, paint. In fact, there was an art supply shop for professionals on one of those corners, clothing stores and wasn’t Army and Navy nearby as was Woodwards.

Darn, felt young again going for a walk down memory lane of late 1970’s.

Unknown
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

My Dad was a barber. He had a shop at Main and Hastings for years. I went with my dad (almost) every Saturday when I was in grades 1 & 2. I had to sweep the floors and wash the windows.
It was nothing for me to walk up Main St. at 7 years old, and alone, 1 block and get us 2 ice cream comes on those days.

Today, I wouldn't walk that far without a collapsible baton under my coat.

The kids today have missed the best years in our history.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Well, well, well. Who’d have thunk it?

Seems that there was a remarkable and noteworthy fallout as soon as the Vcr E. Hastings Street cleanup and removal of the entrenched tent folks.
The City of Vancouver says its fire department reports a "marked improvement" in safety and sidewalk accessibility along a Downtown Eastside street where a large tent encampment was recently removed.

The city has issued a statement updating its actions related to the dismantling of the Hastings Street encampment on April 5 and 6, and continued sweeps of the area in the following days to ensure campers did not return.

It says Vancouver Fire and Rescue received 27 fewer overdose-related calls during the week of the sweep than during the final week of March, and 82 fewer than it received between March 20-26.

The update also says police have recorded no stabbings or serious assaults in the encampment area since April 5, and there are indications that street-level assaults are declining.

Planning about the camp removal was described in the statement as "discreet" because the city says it had to reduce safety risks to the public and staff, and it says the health authority was "provided information and time to plan for service continuity."

Of those living in the 94 "entrenched structures" removed from the camp since April 5, Vancouver officials say 18 residents have accepted shelter offers
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/421375 ... mp-removal

Unknown
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Knowing that many of those tents had 1 or more propane tanks, it was explosion just waiting to happen.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

GordonH wrote: Apr 14th, 2023, 6:50 pm Knowing that many of those tents had 1 or more propane tanks, it was explosion just waiting to happen.
Agreed. An explosion could have terminated the life of a passerby, just wanting to shop at a particular store. Or worse yet, kill a child accompanying that person.

Why this situation was allowed to go in as long as it did defies logic.

Unknown

Return to “B.C.”