Are you prepared for the coming B.C. heatwave?

ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Are you prepared for the coming B.C. heatwave?

Post by ferri »

Nedroj wrote: May 25th, 2023, 11:42 am
Hope it works better than most others in the summer. I have a heat pump and it can't keep the place cooler than 25 when it's over 35 outside.
We had that problem a few years ago. The man installed ours said to turn the heat pump down a few degrees lower than you normally would at night and let it run. That cools everything off inside the house, then the next day when you turn it to your normal temperature it won't have to "catch up". It worked!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

ferri wrote: May 25th, 2023, 12:07 pm
Nedroj wrote: May 25th, 2023, 11:42 am
Hope it works better than most others in the summer. I have a heat pump and it can't keep the place cooler than 25 when it's over 35 outside.
We had that problem a few years ago. The man installed ours said to turn the heat pump down a few degrees lower than you normally would at night and let it run. That cools everything off inside the house, then the next day when you turn it to your normal temperature it won't have to "catch up". It worked!
yes.. its about cooling the structure... not just the air. starting an a/c when it is 35 is like trying to start a fully loaded truck up a steep hill from a stop
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Bring the heat on! More beach time! And my A/C is works just fine. Fridge, too!
Last edited by BC Landlord on May 28th, 2023, 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

BC Landlord wrote: May 27th, 2023, 12:40 pm Bring the heat on! More beach time! And my A/C works just fine. Fridge, too!
I picked up a portable ice maker last year on Amazon marketplace. It works great, so I have unlimited ice for my bevvies!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

mullyman wrote: May 26th, 2023, 10:27 pm yes.. its about cooling the structure... not just the air.
Isn't the whole purpose of insulation to be able to heat/cool only the air inside, rather than the structure itself?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

BC Landlord wrote: May 28th, 2023, 3:51 am
mullyman wrote: May 26th, 2023, 10:27 pm yes.. its about cooling the structure... not just the air.
Isn't the whole purpose of insulation to be able to heat/cool only the air inside, rather than the structure itself?
Hopefully the builder added enough insulation in outer walls and attic space. If not building will be cold in winter and hot in the summer, plus utilities will be high.

Of course contractors never cut corners. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Yes and no. It's similar to placing a lot of room-temperature items in a well-insulated freezer, versus placing the same bulk of refrigerated items into the same freezer. Regardless of how well insulated the freezer is, it'll have to work harder to cool the thermal mass and take longer to get the internal temperature of the freezer back down.

The "thermal mass" effect of passive heating that helps us use less "paid for" heat in the winter can be reversed in the summer by not allowing the internal structure and furnishings of the building to gain heat during the daytime.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

yes.. but there is a lot of mass on the inside of the the insulation envelope
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

mullyman wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:07 am yes.. but there is a lot of mass on the inside of the the insulation envelope
Which should be maintained at the same temperature as the air inside. But if that "heat pump" can't catch up with that task, without requiring extra layers of insulation ($$$), then it's a substandard product. In comparison, my traditional A/C is doing its job just fine. Same as my (gas) furnace.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

BC Landlord wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:16 am
mullyman wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:07 am yes.. but there is a lot of mass on the inside of the the insulation envelope
Which should be maintained at the same temperature as the air inside. But if that "heat pump" can't catch up with that task, without requiring extra layers of insulation ($$$), then it's a substandard product. In comparison, my traditional A/C is doing its job just fine. Same as my (gas) furnace.
Most heat pumps do just fine. I had one in the house I sold, very happy with it, and now waiting for a new one to be installed in our condo. A mini-split with two interior units.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Yes, I love my clean-burning natural gas furnace and my beautiful traditional air conditioner. Both highly efficient and great for the environment!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The Green Barbarian wrote: May 29th, 2023, 5:25 pm
Yes, I love my clean-burning natural gas furnace and my beautiful traditional air conditioner. Both highly efficient and great for the environment!
Me too!

Unfortunately we rarely hear about other parts of the world that are currently experiencing colder weather. They did not get any memo in regards to "coming heat waves", and mainstream media ignores the facts as usual.

https://notrickszone.com/2023/05/28/col ... ed-spring/

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/05/28/ ... ed-spring/

1) Alaska has had their 4th historically coldest winter in a row. Four year cooling trend.
2) More and more cold records being set in Australia. Australia has been cooling for the last 6 years.
3) May snow in Europe and Spain.
4) Heavy snow not just on the alps.
5) UK - the year without a spring. An extra long winter.
6) Snow in Kashmir.
7) Frost hits Europe
8) Deadly snowstorm in Mongolia - 80,000 children in need of aid (213000 total) and 700000+ livestock dead.
Last edited by Jlabute on May 31st, 2023, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Jlabute wrote: May 30th, 2023, 10:01 am
The Green Barbarian wrote: May 29th, 2023, 5:25 pm

Me too!

Unfortunately we rarely hear about other parts of the world that are currently experiencing colder weather. They did not get any memo in regards to "coming heat waves", and mainstream media ignores the facts as usual.

https://notrickszone.com/2023/05/28/col ... ed-spring/

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/05/28/ ... ed-spring/

1) Alaska has had their 4th historically coldest winter in a row. Four year cooling trend.
2) More and more cold records being set in Australia. Australia has been cooling for the last 6 years.
3) May snow in Europe and Spain.
4) Heavy snow not just on the alps.
5) UK - the year without a spring. An extra long winter.
6) Snow in Kashmir.
7) Frost hits Europe
8) Deadly snowstorm in Mongolia - 80,000 children in need of aid (213000 total) and 70000+ livestock dead.
Could this have something to do with that glowing ball in the sky that all enviro-kooks want everyone to ignore? Until they figure out how to monetize "sun credits" so that the IPCC can push it and fat pigs like Al Gore can make more billions hawking said "sun credits" and the gullible fools out there can tell us all that "sun scientists" have "peer reviewed" docs showing the sun is going to kill us all, unless we tax poor people.
Last edited by The Green Barbarian on May 30th, 2023, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Bsuds wrote: May 27th, 2023, 1:16 pm
BC Landlord wrote: May 27th, 2023, 12:40 pm Bring the heat on! More beach time! And my A/C works just fine. Fridge, too!
I picked up a portable ice maker last year on Amazon marketplace. It works great, so I have unlimited ice for my bevvies!
We bought one as well and keep it in the 5th wheel. Gotta have cubes for the vodka tonic !! It makes cubes every few minutes.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Noisy Boater wrote: Aug 17th, 2023, 5:30 pm
We bought one as well and keep it in the 5th wheel. Gotta have cubes for the vodka tonic !! It makes cubes every few minutes.
That's where ours is as well.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “B.C.”