Vancouver gas stove ban proposed will not happen

mullyman
Board Meister

Re: Vancouver gas stove ban proposed will not happen

Post by mullyman »

seewood wrote: Jun 7th, 2023, 7:02 am
mullyman wrote: Jun 7th, 2023, 6:44 am but it did.. my understanding is that new builds are not allowed to use gas..
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouv ... al-gas-ban

I believe they tried to ban gas but the motion failed.

Perhaps it was for cooking and furnaces only but gas hot water is not allowed?

As a side note, chatted with another dog walker the other day who had an older heat pump in the house when they bought it.
Pump packed it in and was quoted $18,000.00 to replace it. They changed course and hooked up to gas with a high efficiency furnace, gas hot water, gas range for a little less than the new heat pump. Their monthly utilities, gas and electric, are now half of what it was prior.
Electric is great, but for heating things, it is pretty inefficient and expensive.

Why do politicians seem lately to be trying to legislate higher living costs for citizens ??
the motion was to completely ban gas.. a good source told be you cannot get a building permit for a new build using gas ..
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

mullyman wrote: Jun 7th, 2023, 6:44 am but it did.. my understanding is that new builds are not allowed to use gas..
Apparently it was shot down for now.

https://www.renewablecities.ca/vancouve ... il%20fuels.
You should always treat those with mental illness with compassion, but you shouldn't elect them president twice
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

Bsuds wrote: Jun 7th, 2023, 7:14 am
Apparently it was shot down for now.

https://www.renewablecities.ca/vancouve ... il%20fuels.
did a little more reading.... vancouver has a bylaw that forbids the use of natural gas for space and water heating in all new build permits , but didn't apply to stoves, and fireplaces .. the motion was a complete ban, and failed.. the bylaw is still in place for space , and water heating .. so , in essence we , the public , are being mandated to use a more expensive method to heat our homes , and water
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

mullyman wrote: Jun 7th, 2023, 7:24 am
did a little more reading.... vancouver has a bylaw that forbids the use of natural gas for space and water heating in all new build permits , but didn't apply to stoves, and fireplaces .. the motion was a complete ban, and failed.. the bylaw is still in place for space , and water heating .. so , in essence we , the public , are being mandated to use a more expensive method to heat our homes , and water
Interesting, I guess I won't be buying a new home anytime soon in Vancouver.
You should always treat those with mental illness with compassion, but you shouldn't elect them president twice
polelady
Board Meister

Post by polelady »

Yes I see your thoughts and it makes zero sense,,,, however the stupidity from Vancouver somehow seems to blow over the mountain's and land here in Kelowna.. just a matter of time and black outs etc... with our power system and then what ? lol
No Natural Gas so burn the furniture to keep warm and boil water.. hehehe
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

polelady wrote: Jun 7th, 2023, 7:50 am Yes I see your thoughts and it makes zero sense,,,, however the stupidity from Vancouver somehow seems to blow over the mountain's and land here in Kelowna.. just a matter of time and black outs etc... with our power system and then what ? lol
No Natural Gas so burn the furniture to keep warm and boil water.. hehehe
Speaking of blowing over the mountains. It is interesting how the echo chamber has echo-stats. This time the appeal is more subdued since it has been previously beaten down and found to be misleading. Homes are full of particulate and VOCs from many sources. Even electric stoves can let off bird killing Teflon. Just because someone lives in a home with a gas stove, that is no indication of how long they have lived in that home as well.

Once again, the real purpose of the fake study, and if anyone wants to see anything really murky, just read the article::
Brauer said much of the buzz around gas stoves may be linked to their association with climate change and that may be a better reason to stop using the appliances, which are connected to a supply system that leaks tiny amounts of the greenhouse gas methane.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... say#432209
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
Mazdatruck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Mazdatruck »

Remember when news of this broke over a year ago and everyone said "Oh look the MAGA hat people are worried about a conciciacry that doesn't exist"

Just like vaccine passports within 12 months the conspiracy comes true.

The rich elite ruling class people will still has gas ovens in the multi million dollar houses outside the 15 minute city limits. The rules will not apply to their favorite restaurants either.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Bigbacardi wrote: Jun 6th, 2023, 10:10 am Now BC may be an exception to the rule… how many are aware how almost half of the worlds electricity is generated?
By steam generators burning either coal or nat gas!!!!
Hmmm
Doesn’t seem quite as green when that is brought into the situation…
BC is not an exception as this province generates 6,714.9 Gwh using Thermal Power Generation ie Conventional Steam, Internal Combustion and Combustion Turbine methods. We do not use Nuclear power in BC

Canada's Power Sources in GWh:
Hydro: 347,417.8
Wind: 3,665.7
Tidal: 27.7
Thermal - Conventional Steam: 104,190.8
Thermal - Nuclear: 85,219.9
Thermal - Internal Combustion: 1,073.4
Thermal - Combustion Turbine: 25,164.3

If we started switching all Wood and Coal-fired powerplants to Natural Gas that would be a good start while we build more Hydro Electric dams and Nuclear Power plants.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Leftist politicians have nothing tangible to offer. Among them, it's a contest in out-crazing each other.
Posters who once get on my ignore list do not get off it easily. They would have to demonstrably improve their behavior.
Current # of posters on my list: 2
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Nedroj wrote: Jul 5th, 2023, 8:15 am BC is not an exception as this province generates 6,714.9 Gwh using Thermal Power Generation ie Conventional Steam, Internal Combustion and Combustion Turbine methods. We do not use Nuclear power in BC

Canada's Power Sources in GWh:
Hydro: 347,417.8
Wind: 3,665.7
Tidal: 27.7
Thermal - Conventional Steam: 104,190.8
Thermal - Nuclear: 85,219.9
Thermal - Internal Combustion: 1,073.4
Thermal - Combustion Turbine: 25,164.3

If we started switching all Wood and Coal-fired powerplants to Natural Gas that would be a good start while we build more Hydro Electric dams and Nuclear Power plants.
BC will never build another hydro electric dam again. They actually just removed a hydro dam on the Shuswap recently. It's too politically toxic to build more. Same goes for nuclear. BC will in the future rely on less woke places for electricity like Alberta and Wyoming for future growth.

BTW, BC also generates electricity by diesel. ie. Internal Combustion.

Eg. Anahim Lake, Atlin, Bella Bella, Dease Lake, Takla Landing, Sandspit, Masset, etc.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Glacier wrote: Jul 5th, 2023, 12:05 pm
BC will never build another hydro electric dam again. They actually just removed a hydro dam on the Shuswap recently. It's too politically toxic to build more. Same goes for nuclear. BC will in the future rely on less woke places for electricity like Alberta and Wyoming for future growth.

BTW, BC also generates electricity by diesel. ie. Internal Combustion.

Eg. Anahim Lake, Atlin, Bella Bella, Dease Lake, Takla Landing, Sandspit, Masset, etc.
The power generated in BC is more than what BC uses to the point where we sell a bunch of it to the USA.

Nuclear is actually quite renewable, safe, and virtually zero waste with the modern SMR ones.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Nedroj wrote: Jul 5th, 2023, 2:51 pm The power generated in BC is more than what BC uses to the point where we sell a bunch of it to the USA.
It actually doesn't work that way. Grids in North America are interconnected. The power flows back and forth in between jurisdictions all the time, as per need. Sometimes we get power from Washington, sometimes from Alberta, and sometimes they get power from us, or any combination in between. It's not like trading other goods.
Posters who once get on my ignore list do not get off it easily. They would have to demonstrably improve their behavior.
Current # of posters on my list: 2
countmeout
Übergod

Post by countmeout »

Nedroj wrote: Jul 5th, 2023, 2:51 pm The power generated in BC is more than what BC uses to the point where we sell a bunch of it to the USA.

Nuclear is actually quite renewable, safe, and virtually zero waste with the modern SMR ones.
British Columbia (B.C.) was a net importer of electricity for seven out of the past eleven years. However, B.C. has had a positive trade revenue balance since 2011 due to its additions of generation over the last few years and its ability to buy electricity when prices are lower (e.g. during the night or during spring) and sell when prices are higher (e.g. during peak hours).

For example, in 2014, companies in B.C. exported 7.4 terrawatt-hours (TW.h) of electricity and imported 9.7 TW.h.Footnote1. B.C. firms sold these exports for $388 million and purchased these imports for $306 million, resulting in net export revenue of $82 million despite net energy imports of 2.3 TW.h.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

BC Landlord wrote: Jul 5th, 2023, 3:03 pm
It actually doesn't work that way. Grids in North America are interconnected. The power flows back and forth in between jurisdictions all the time, as per need. Sometimes we get power from Washington, sometimes from Alberta, and sometimes they get power from us, or any combination in between. It's not like trading other goods.
ok fair however we do sell more than we "buy" and we only "buy" power when the prices are low to save our reservoirs not that we actually need it.
In addition to selling B.C.’s surplus power, Powerex also purchases power from the wholesale market. Buying electricity when prices are low helps to conserve water in our reservoirs for periods of high demand, like during the winter months.
In years with average or greater water inflows, our system has the capacity to produce a surplus of electricity. This surplus of clean power can be sold by Powerex to its trading partners within the Western Interconnection. Powerex will export electricity when our system has more power than we need to meet demand in B.C., and when market prices are high. This provides additional revenue and helps keep our rates low.

The surplus of energy in our system on an annual basis makes Powerex a net exporter of electricity, meaning they sell more than they purchase.
countmeout
Übergod

Post by countmeout »

Nedroj wrote: Jul 5th, 2023, 3:14 pm ok fair however we do sell more than we "buy" and we only "buy" power when the prices are low to save our reservoirs not that we actually need it.
Actually, most years we don't. We import.

Return to “B.C.”