Conservative leadership master thread

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Conservative leadership master thread

Post by rustled »

Barney Google wrote:Interesting that there were reported 500 attendees at the debate and 250 across the street at the

same time listening to Kevin speak.

I get Kevin's beefs about the format but at some point if he's truly serious,

he's gonna have to "play ball", at least some of the time, the way the Conservative want it played.

I think there are far too many candidates in the Con Pool right now and some weeding needs to be done.

Out of 750, you have one third willing to ditch the 13 to listen to one? That is interesting indeed. (Or were you speaking metaphorically? I'm not paying close attention to this, so I'm quite gullible in this department.)

The US citizens elected a president who wasn't playing ball, so there may be some interest among the party faithful in doing things differently, thinking outside the box.

Fourteen is a crazy number of candidates.Will be interesting to see how they manage this.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

rustled wrote:Out of 750, you have one third willing to ditch the 13 to listen to one? That is interesting indeed. (Or were you speaking metaphorically? I'm not paying close attention to this, so I'm quite gullible in this department.)

The US citizens elected a president who wasn't playing ball, so there may be some interest among the party faithful in doing things differently, thinking outside the box.

Fourteen is a crazy number of candidates.Will be interesting to see how they manage this.

The number of attendees, Rustled, were quoted from a CBC radio report about the events around 5:30 this morning.

I think Canadian politics need to do some very serious 'thinking outside the box'.

Thankfully, Canadians are a different 'breed' of thinkers than our southern American kinfolk.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Thx for the stats clarification, Barney.
:130:

In my experience, we're not so different. Seems to me we're all tired of the same things, and yearning for the same things, and wanting a leader who will do better. That's what JT had going for him in the last election, but he made promises he shouldn't have made, and if more voters had given serious thought to his promises perhaps the results would have been different. Now we're disenchanted again.

Not so different to what happened south of us, just a different group who were "most fed up" with not feeling heard.

I've been thinking lately of the difference in who we choose as leaders now, compared to the days when all we had to rely on was print media. Robert Stanfield wasn't as charismatic as PET, Joe Clark didn't look or sound like a prime minister, etc. While it's important to have a leader who can respond effectively to questions and represent us well, there's more to the job than that.

At least, there should be, IMO.

We're a superficial bunch, getting more and more superficial and less and less about substance.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I hope Bernier wins leadership, he seems level headed.
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

If Maxime Bernier can cement the support of the libertarian side of the party, he could follow Harper's path to the leadership. It would be nice if Maxime would embrace O'Toole's CANZUK proposal, though.

Speaking of O'Toole, Canada's media have done a good job of poisoning public opinion about Donald Trump, making it unlikely that anyone will manage to ride Trump's populism into office in Canada, but candidates who try to use DT as a bogeyman to try to frighten the impressionable away from other candidates do themselves no favors with intelligent CPC voters.

Erin O'Toole's "Ours Can Be The Political Generation That Silences Intolerance" is the kind of confused rhetoric one might expect from a Green Party candidate. I hope he didn't intend it as a smear against Kellie Leitch, Kevin O'Leary or their supporters, as that would be small-minded and unhelpful.

Young Conservatives on who they support for party leader - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZU3v4AccOs
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

- Douglas Murray
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

The Imam might not have much use for Christians, Jews, Gays, transvestites or other 'deviants' but he likes Michael Chong. Michael must be thrilled. :135:

Shaykh Omar Subedar publicly endorses the Conservative leadership candidate MP Michael Chong and calls on Canadian Muslims to become members of the Conservative Party and vote Michael Chong as the party leader.

Subedar explained his support of Michael Chong by saying that Chong was one of the couple of Conservatives who voted in favour of M-103 (anti-Islamophobia motion), he “promotes ethics and values all Canadians can be proud of” and voting for him is important to stop MP Kelly Leitch from becoming the next leader of the Conservative Party.

http://en.cijnews.com/?p=214598
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

2conservative-leadership-index-mar-23.jpg
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Bernier sat down with the good folks of the ccfr. That gives him the edge for me
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

d0nb wrote:
2conservative-leadership-index-mar-23.jpg

There are WAY too many horses in this race and it's muddying the track...at least half of the pack needs weeded out.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Apparently, those who are still subscribed to the CTV 'news' channel can see the conservative candidates on the Power Play show starting Monday, April 3.

CTV's Power Play host, Don Martin is a painfully inept interviewer who recently offered this non sequitur:

"Conservative bellyaching which insists the Trudeau government gets a coddled ride from an adoring media is invariably baseless and increasingly tiresome. But there are exceptions."
:135: :135: :135:

The ability of the candidates to cope with the inane will be tested.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol if frenchy is best the cons can do then i see jt growing old and retiring as our pm :130:

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 31st, 2017, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic

Return to “Canada”