$2 Billion investment in Canada deal by Tech Company

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: $2 Billion investment in Canada deal by Tech Company

Post by The Green Barbarian »

justincase wrote:You cannot look forward without looking backward. So, it's important to talk about economic, social and environmental policies of both parties to know what to expect moving forward in the 2019 election. I know which party the scientific sector will be voting for!

I do too - the Conservatives, obviously. Why would you vote for a party that just wants to keep raising taxes and stupidly spending money on SJW garbage. It's really not that hard to understand.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
justincase
Board Meister

Post by justincase »

The Green Barbarian wrote:I do too - the Conservatives, obviously. Why would you vote for a party that just wants to keep raising taxes and stupidly spending money on SJW garbage. It's really not that hard to understand.

Hahaha! Conservative record on science: Gaging scientists, destroying decades-long climate science records, opinion based policies, religious-based policies. Funding cuts. Research cuts......

Well, you can't say our government is over-educated.
1 PHD out of 39
11 Law degrees
3 MBAs
7 science Majors
5 drop-outs (including Jason Kenny and Peter Penashue)
11 no post secondary education-Yet they are now in charge of critical portfolios. These include:

Marjory Lebreton (leader of the government in the Senate)

Gerry Ritz (agriculture)

Denis Lebel (transport and infrastructure)

Leona Aglukkaq (health)

Peter Kent (environment)

Gail Shea (national revenue)

Julian Fantino (international cooperation)

Bernard Valcourt (minister of state for Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)

Lynn Yelich (minister of state for western economic diversification)

Ted Menzies (minister of state for finance)

Tim Uppal (minister of state for democratic reform)
1) People forget conservatives used to be fiscally conservative. After harper, they have become fiscally liberal and socially racist. Fascism is the only thing they wish to conserve.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

let's play nice and not call people idiots. thank you.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
justincase
Board Meister

Post by justincase »

removed. comment or need help contact an admin or use the report button. Easy!
1) People forget conservatives used to be fiscally conservative. After harper, they have become fiscally liberal and socially racist. Fascism is the only thing they wish to conserve.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

One could now compare your presumptive list with Liberal cabinet ministers, compiling lists of who we could presume to have any post-secondary and who we know has no experience as an MP, and get into an interesting discussion about whether their education helps them when they have no experience as an MP, but hey, let's not.

Because this thread's about a $2B investment in Canada, right? So let's take your one point that could be germane to the discussion, those "gagged" scientists. What information were they finally able to release to us when JT took over? If you're to posit that this is a significant part of them choosing to invest now, it would certainly be nice to see some proof.

Meanwhile, and although I doubt it will do the least bit of good, I'd point you to a document that explains the responsibilities of government-funded scientists to the governments that fund them: http://issp.uottawa.ca/sites/issp.uotta ... lities.pdf
I suspect it won't be to your liking to know that those responsibilities must, by necessity, continue under JT.

So while it's certainly good news for Canada when other countries invest here (other than China, apparently, LOL), and you are of course entitled to your opinion that it's happening because Harper's gone and JT's in charge, I don't find it remotely likely that's the reason for this good news.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I’m sure you’re aware of, but deliberately omitting, the reasons why Chinese investments were different from other countries investments and why they’re not considered good for Canada.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Omnitheo wrote:I’m sure you’re aware of, but deliberately omitting, the reasons why Chinese investments were different from other countries investments and why they’re not considered good for Canada.

My goodness, how interesting that this is the part of my post you'd choose to respond to!

Go off on that tangent if you wish, but it's clearly a deflection from the issue at hand: lack of reasonable evidence to support the theory that this is all because the government-funded scientists are now responsible to a different government. I'd suggest you read the paper defining those responsibilities, but I get why this is unlikely. In my experience, it isn't popular with people whose need to feel virtuous seems to trump their willingness to understand as much as possible.

Funny how reality is seldom as salacious as the sordid narratives people adopt en masse as "the truth".
Now, :topic: Good news for Canada, a foreign tech co makes a $2B investment.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
justincase
Board Meister

Post by justincase »

rustled wrote: One could now compare your presumptive list with Liberal cabinet ministers, compiling lists of who we could presume to have any post-secondary and who we know has no experience as an MP, and get into an interesting discussion about whether their education helps them when they have no experience as an MP, but hey, let's not.

Fair enough, I guess in your opinion, a formal education isn't really important when talking about science.

Because this thread's about a $2B investment in Canada, right? So let's take your one point that could be germane to the discussion, those "gagged" scientists. What information were they finally able to release to us when JT took over? If you're to posit that this is a significant part of them choosing to invest now, it would certainly be nice to see some proof.

It used to be that if you wanted to talk to a federal scientist who was monitoring salmon stocks in B.C. or studying the impacts of climate change on glaciers, you just called them up.

Sometimes they would answer the phone in the field or at a busy conference and they'd interrupt their work to answer a reporter's questions, feeling a responsibility to communicate their findings to the public.

They were the experts, after all, and who better to speak than those who had spent years studying complex issues, using public funding?

And then Stephen Harper became Prime Minister and a dark curtain fell across Canadian science.

Science has been freed by the new government in Ottawa, just as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau promised in the Liberal election platform.

Still, it came as a shock to the scientists who are suddenly released, after all these years, to speak about the topics they are experts on.

"I can say that for me, this is very exciting news," Dr. Miller-Saunders said in an e-mail exchange that was not approved by a media spokesperson.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/br ... e27171269/

Meanwhile, and although I doubt it will do the least bit of good, I'd point you to a document that explains the responsibilities of government-funded scientists to the governments that fund them: http://issp.uottawa.ca/sites/issp.uotta ... lities.pdf
I suspect it won't be to your liking to know that those responsibilities must, by necessity, continue under JT.

I recommend that you read that document yourself so you understand how the Westminister system works.

So while it's certainly good news for Canada when other countries invest here (other than China, apparently, LOL), and you are of course entitled to your opinion that it's happening because Harper's gone and JT's in charge, I don't find it remotely likely that's the reason for this good news.

As I explained earlier: it's the perfect storm of revitalized government investments in Tech, Low Canadian dollar, an access to an abundance of highly educated tech trained personal and universities, and now that Trump has canceled the "Genius" visa has now made this an attractive destination for the worlds smartest individuals seeking to advance their careers! Even the Late, Great, Stephen Hawking worked in Canada (of which I was lucky enough to correspond with while he was working in Waterloo Ontario)!
Though not everything is because of, or exclusive to Trudeau, there are some definite perks for industry and those brilliant individuals seeking refuge within Canada!
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

^^You've misstated what I posted. :1422: Either you are not particularly adept with your guesswork, or you are off to a bad "Cathy Neuman" style start with your post.

As to the rest, if you can't be bothered to learn to quote other sources properly, you cannot expect people to try to navigate your posts. I've made the attempt this time, and I have to say, since that opinion piece appeared I've been utterly underwhelmed with the volume of withheld information the newly un-gagged government-funded scientists have flooded us with. I'm not alone in this. As others have noted:
http://torontosun.com/2016/08/08/muzzle ... c5e3e761bf

I'd suggest that while electing JT, and/or electing the Liberals, and/or not electing Harper, and/or not electing the Conservatives may all be contributing factors in recent decisions to invest in Canada, I think it's sensible to recognize these are unlikely to be primary motivators when you're talking about tech in the global economy. JT's lack of support for (and impediments to) some sectors is having a cooling-off effect on investment in those industries, so we shall see how it all balances out over the course of his term.
justincase
Board Meister

Post by justincase »

rustled wrote:^^You've misstated what I posted. :1422: Either you are not particularly adept with your guesswork, or you are off to a bad "Cathy Neuman" style start with your post.

As to the rest, if you can't be bothered to learn to quote other sources properly, you cannot expect people to try to navigate your posts. I've made the attempt this time, and I have to say, since that opinion piece appeared I've been utterly underwhelmed with the volume of withheld information the newly un-gagged government-funded scientists have flooded us with. I'm not alone in this. As others have noted:

Pretty sure I copied and pasted your comment

YOU HAD BETTER CHECK THE DATES OF THE ARTICLES YOU LINK TO!
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

justincase wrote:
rustled wrote:^^You've misstated what I posted. :1422: Either you are not particularly adept with your guesswork, or you are off to a bad "Cathy Neuman" style start with your post.

Pretty sure I copied and pasted your comment

YOU HAD BETTER CHECK THE DATES OF THE ARTICLES YOU LINK TO!

Here's the part you misstated:
justincase wrote: Fair enough, I guess in your opinion, a formal education isn't really important when talking about science.

We were talking about a formal education related to cabinet ministers. Weird leap you made there, and you leapt wrong.

You didn't show what in the middle section was quoted from the Globe and Mail. It's a courtesy to show readers what you've written, and what others have written. Not saying you have to, of course, just pointing out some of us aren't patient with trying to figure out who wrote what.

Yes, I'm well aware of the date in what I'd linked to. Your piece showed how excited scientists were at their unmuzzling in 2015. The piece I linked to was about what had changed several months later. Not sure why you felt the need to shout about that.
justincase
Board Meister

Post by justincase »

rustled wrote:-

Environment Minister Catherine McKenna wrote that "while media requests (to speak to scientists) on policy, enforcement and international affairs require departmental approvals, this is not the case for science requests."
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

justincase wrote:
rustled wrote:-

Environment Minister Catherine McKenna wrote that "while media requests (to speak to scientists) on policy, enforcement and international affairs require departmental approvals, this is not the case for science requests."

You're missing the point. Entirely.

We ought to have been deluged with all the stuff scientists were no longer prevented from talking about.

We weren't.

We suspected the gagging was yet another tempest in a teapot construct of the outraged left, and nothing has happened since the gag was lifted to convince us otherwise.

Incidentally, I'm pleased you were able to correspond with Stephen Hawking while he worked in Canada. I was curious about the timeframe on that.https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018 ... unity.html Kinda interesting to see him sitting with Harper, huh?
:topic: Good news for Canada, as tech investments continue!
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

rustled wrote:
We suspected the gagging was yet another tempest in a teapot construct of the outraged left, and nothing has happened since the gag was lifted to convince us otherwise.

what I can't believe is how many supposed rational thinking people fell for this garbage Rustled. That's the part that is truly scary.
justincase
Board Meister

Post by justincase »

rustled wrote:We suspected the gagging was yet another tempest in a teapot construct of the outraged left, and nothing has happened since the gag was lifted to convince us otherwise.

Incidentally, I'm pleased you were able to correspond with Stephen Hawking while he worked in Canada. I was curious about the timeframe on that.https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018 ... unity.html

Because it doesn't fit with your narrative, it doesn't mean it's a big conspiracy theory, but I am guessing you are a charter member of ATS (Above Top Secret)?
Thank you, I didn't realize the significance (to me) messaging with Stephen Hawking would be! RIP.....

Politicians pose with anybody and everybody, Look, both harper and Trudeau posed with and embraced the former Indian terrorist, radical Narendra Modi.

Return to “Canada”