Pierre!

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Pierre!

Post by The Green Barbarian »

hobbyguy wrote: May 19th, 2023, 11:15 am Pierre is playing silly fool games around bail.
Actually, he's playing great games around bail. Pierre is making the Liberals look like massive fools, and he's skewering the scum responsible for letting out multiple offenders. Pierre we need you right now to save Canada from Liberal scum, who are making everyone in Canada unsafe.

Go Pierre!!!
There's no such thing as gay rights, minority rights, trans rights or women's rights.

There are only individual rights. Either we all have the same rights, or we're just groups of special interests fighting for preferential treatment.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Mr Poilievre is 100% right about C-48. It does nothing to make bail tougher for violent, repeat offenders.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Chinese diplomat Zhao had also been observed meeting in Toronto with a number of constituency staffers for Liberal MPs, including an assistant for International Trade Minister Mary Ng
Spiff
Übergod

Post by Spiff »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: May 19th, 2023, 3:59 pm
hobbyguy wrote: May 19th, 2023, 3:07 pm

Typical Poilievre dumpster fire stinker of a position. David Johnston was appointed Governor General of Canada based on the nomination for the post by Stephen Harper. Doesn't get much more impartial than that.

Poilievre is a useless twit who thinks cranking out little videos in his basement serves anyone or anything but Pierre's fragile little man ego.
Hmm, thought about it but no, I won't respond. People can see this comment for what itis.
Well I guess what it is is Blanchet can take all the credit come Tuesday.
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

Gone_Fishin wrote: May 19th, 2023, 7:30 pm Mr Poilievre is 100% right about C-48. It does nothing to make bail tougher for violent, repeat offenders.

It should include all repeat offenders not just violent ones
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Sabrina Maddeaux: Left-wing caricatures of Poilievre have failed to convince Canadians

While future platforms and local candidates will play a role in the next federal election, anyone who thinks large portions of the electorate cast their vote based on little more than vibes is kidding themselves. Often, vibes decide elections — in particular, the vibes of party leaders.

A new national poll out of Abacus Data reveals how perceptions of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who is adamant he’ll lead the Liberals into the next election, and Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre are evolving. The results show Trudeau on increasingly shaky ground, with key vibing opportunities opening up for Poilievre.

Trudeau, back in 2015, rode “sunny ways” all the way to 24 Sussex — or as close as he could get without risking life and limb to feral rodents and asbestos. While the mood surrounding Trudeau’s leadership has since been on steady decline, voters decided Conservative challengers in 2019 and 2021 didn’t exactly provide a dopamine rush, either.

Next election could be the first time Trudeau goes up against an opponent with vibes greater than his own, and it could well be his undoing.

From the start of the CPC leadership race, it was clear Poilievre had this potential. Large crowds, record membership sales, a decisive victory and energized support from unexpected demographics suggested as much. However, many remained skeptical about whether these vibes could ripple beyond the party base and into the general electorate.

Abacus’ survey suggests they are. “We found that Poilievre holds significant advantages over Trudeau in terms of competence, judgment, and empathy (understanding people like me),” reads Abacus’ report . The polling firm asked 2,500 respondents across Canada to evaluate Trudeau and Poilievre on several characteristics.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/sa ... ecb1&ei=15
There's no such thing as gay rights, minority rights, trans rights or women's rights.

There are only individual rights. Either we all have the same rights, or we're just groups of special interests fighting for preferential treatment.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

The Green Barbarian wrote: May 20th, 2023, 10:33 am
Sabrina Maddeaux: Left-wing caricatures of Poilievre have failed to convince Canadians

Abacus’ survey suggests they are. “We found that Poilievre holds significant advantages over Trudeau in terms of competence, judgment, and empathy (understanding people like me),” reads Abacus’ report . The polling firm asked 2,500 respondents across Canada to evaluate Trudeau and Poilievre on several characteristics.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/sa ... ecb1&ei=15
Now that is the understatement of the year.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)
My pronouns are Sir/Mr.
XY ≠ XX
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: May 20th, 2023, 1:21 pm
From the Abacus poll.
According to David Coletto: The poll results indicate that the Liberals and Trudeau have a challenging road ahead when competing against Poilievre. Many people have not yet paid much attention to their political choices, but among those who have formed an opinion, Poilievre maintains a considerably stronger image than Trudeau. He surpasses the sitting Prime Minister in terms of judgment and competence among those who have an opinion and holds a slight lead among all Canadians, including those unfamiliar with Poilievre.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)
My pronouns are Sir/Mr.
XY ≠ XX
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Pierre should be concerned about how many votes Max will take away in next Federal election. I strongly suspect JT hopping enough so his candidate slips past.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

GordonH wrote: May 25th, 2023, 6:30 pm Pierre should be concerned about how many votes Max will take away in next Federal election. I strongly suspect JT hopping enough so his candidate slips past.
would be nice if Max and Pierre could form a similar relationship as Justin and spineless Jagmeet. RIght now a vote for the NDP is a vote for the horrible Liberals and that can't be sitting well with any NDP voters that want to see their far Left extremist views represented in Ottawa. If the Green Party could ever get over their irrational hatred of Jews they'd really pick up a lot of votes on the Left, I'd say.

hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water

Post by hobbyguy »

GordonH wrote: May 25th, 2023, 6:30 pm Pierre should be concerned about how many votes Max will take away in next Federal election. I strongly suspect JT hopping enough so his candidate slips past.
Plus Pierre is a polarizing enough figure that the CIC group may just decide, in September, to launch a progressive conservative center right party.

That would place Pierre and the CPC in the same boat as the Liberals, with direct competition on both flanks.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/people-s-pa ... -1.6396260

"People's Party of Canada Leader Maxime Bernier aims to run in Manitoba byelection"

That development may present some serious problems for Pierre. A first real test for Pierre's leadership. Well sort of, in that in the by election already held in Ontario, Pierre was MIA, and the CPC lost....
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
rustled
Buddha of the Board

Post by rustled »

hobbyguy wrote: May 26th, 2023, 8:00 am
Plus Pierre is a polarizing enough figure
This is the narrative.

However, the only people I'm hearing it from in "real life" are people who wouldn't vote Conservative regardless of their leader, still think Canada's doing fine with Trudeau (they shrug off anything he does), and are OK with the NDP propping his government up.

IMO the objective of telling us he's "polarizing" is to get people to believe it.

Meanwhile, the people I talk to who went from supporting left-wing parties to joining the Conservatives because they wanted Poilievre to win the leadership because they want him to be our next PM firmly believe he will prove less "polarizing" than our current PM but, more importantly, he will prioritize ordinary Canadians' long-term best interests.

They like how he stands up to the Liberal double-speak bafflegab, and they like that he's very quick on his feet, too. (He doesn't come across as a dummy trying to cover up his own incompetence.) Harping on about "polarizing" certainly won't sway them.
The intelligent man is not the man who holds such-and-such views but the man who has sound reasons for what he believes and yet does not believe it dogmatically.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

rustled wrote: May 26th, 2023, 9:03 am

This is the narrative.

However, the only people I'm hearing it from in "real life" are people who wouldn't vote Conservative regardless of their leader, still think Canada's doing fine with Trudeau (they shrug off anything he does), and are OK with the NDP propping his government up.

IMO the objective of telling us he's "polarizing" is to get people to believe it.

Meanwhile, the people I talk to who went from supporting left-wing parties to joining the Conservatives because they wanted Poilievre to win the leadership because they want him to be our next PM firmly believe he will prove less "polarizing" than our current PM but, more importantly, he will prioritize ordinary Canadians' long-term best interests.

They like how he stands up to the Liberal double-speak bafflegab, and they like that he's very quick on his feet, too. (He doesn't come across as a dummy trying to cover up his own incompetence.) Harping on about "polarizing" certainly won't sway them.
Yes. Well said. As soon as I see someone who claims to be "a centrist" and who "hasn't made up their mind" babbling on about how Pierre is "divisive" and "polarizing" I know that person is just lying their butt off as they are of course voting Liberal and are freaking scared of Pierre. I really like how Pierre stands up to woke idiot reporters who are (like with all Conservative leaders) always trying to "trap" him with gotcha questions, while lobbing softballs at our current idiot PM. Pierre always sees it coming and always nails them, hard, like in this example:

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ ... -poilievre

Reminds me of the days of the last Conservative government, when guys like John Baird would have to put idiot CBC reporters in their place for asking really stupid questions, that of course now they would never ask the Liberals, as their mandate changed from "attack all the time" to "protect no matter what" when it comes to governments. Go Pierre!!

hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water

Post by hobbyguy »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: May 20th, 2023, 1:27 pm
Babba_not_Gump wrote: May 20th, 2023, 1:21 pm
From the Abacus poll.
According to David Coletto: The poll results indicate that the Liberals and Trudeau have a challenging road ahead when competing against Poilievre. Many people have not yet paid much attention to their political choices, but among those who have formed an opinion, Poilievre maintains a considerably stronger image than Trudeau. He surpasses the sitting Prime Minister in terms of judgment and competence among those who have an opinion and holds a slight lead among all Canadians, including those unfamiliar with Poilievre.
The actual poll presents a somewhat different and more in depth picture: https://abacusdata.ca/canadian-politics ... ay-2023-2/

In terms of competence, PP 48, JT 44.

Most folks are judging Pierre on performance as opposition leader. That is an entirely different role, and not subject to the bounds of real world actions. As a combatant in question period? Ya, Pierre is and always has been a tough cookie. Folks may have forgotten what a poor job Pierre did as a cabinet minister which may or may not be trotted out during an election campaign.....

Neither of them hits the 50% mark - and the differential is actually quite small. One would hope that such leaders could at least have 60% ratings as competent (C+ sort of rating) and hopefully much higher... but sigh, the choices are what they are.

Pierre is a very good attacker, but as we have already seen on several occasions, Pierre is very weak on defense. When questioned, Pierre either runs and hides, or deflects off into an attack on someone else.

By nature, the role of PM places JT in the defense position. All other parties are taking pot shots - some genuine, but many are disingenuous spin nonsense. Regardless, a PM is constantly chipped away at not just by the official opposition, but all other parties. My view is that JT is not a defensive tactician, and being on defense is not his forte. When I think back, Chretien had that defense skill set, that ability to defuse attacks. I still remember Chretiens adroit comeback over the pepper spraying of demonstrators: "Me? I put da peppar on my plate". That said, JT is much more adroit when on offense, which is why, while trailing in all 3 elections, JT has brought the Liberals up out of the hole and to a successful position. Can he do it a 4th time? Debatable, but I wouldn't bet against it.

Similarly but more favorable to PP is "judgement": PP 45, JT 37

Not surprising to see that result. JT has been prone to "what were you thinking?" moments. PP is actually largely untested in that regard, unless, like the old wrinkled elephant, one remembers what poor judgement Pierre showed as a cabinet minister.

Either way, both leaders are actually in the C- to D range. It would have been interesting to see all the other party leaders rated in this poll. Personally, I think the only party leader with a fairly strong "judgement" rating would be Blanchet - probably around a C+ to B- rating.

The next ranking is important to Canadians as well, kindness: PP 42, JT 58.

Finally a rating where one of them gets into a C+ range. JT is obviously a more kind person and Pierre is, by nature, an unkind person.

Kindness matters to more caring people, which may explain part of why JT does so well with demographics where kindness is perceived as a key attribute.

The next ranking is "is too extreme"; PP 44, JT 35.

A strong C+ for JT, and a C for Pierre. The caveat here is that PP has yet to reveal an actual policy set, and JT has. As we saw with O'Toole, any attempt to present a moderate platform for the CPC is unworkable. It will be interesting to see what PP will actually reveal as a policy set/platform - which thus far PP has done less than zero.

The ranking for "represents Canadian values well": PP 44, JT 43

A statistical tie with both in C- to D territory. This is unsurprising. One of the strengths of Canada is its diversity and culturally broad nature. There are many groups within Canada that will not see either of them as reflecting their values. They are both white men for starters, and both are entrenched in the unique socioeconomic bubble of a capital city privileged life. My view of "Canadian values" will be different from my neighbor(s) etc.

"Genuinely cares about making Canada better": PP 50, JT 48

A statistical tie, and neither with a strong ranking. Interesting to see that JT who ranks so highly in kindness is not perceived better in this category. Perhaps this ranking reflects a general distrust of the motivations of politicians.

"Hides his true views to make him more acceptable": PP 40, JT 56

"Understand what life is like for people like you": PP 40, JT 30

This last one is pretty abysmal for both of them, reflecting that people perceive both of them as part of the "political elite" - which is true.

In all of this a key factor that is in play. In terms of PP, about 18-20% have not yet made up their minds/haven't paid attention. JT is "known" much more consistently by Canadians, with only 6-8% of Canadians not having made judgements on JT. That is, in part, because Pierre has not yet been on the defense, which he will be in a campaign, and especially when Pierre has to reveal an actual plan - a platform, which is the real substance that thus far is entirely missing with Pierre.

At this point, Pierre is puling ahead. Scheer did as well.

In actual fact that all Canadians are judging based on an incomplete picture and "black box' in terms of actual policy gives Pierre an advantage. Unless one happens to remember what a dismal cabinet minister Pierre was.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

hobbyguy wrote: May 26th, 2023, 9:48 am

The actual poll presents a somewhat different and more in depth picture: https://abacusdata.ca/canadian-politics ... ay-2023-2/

In terms of competence, PP 48, JT 44.
How is the idiot Justin at "44". Is that score out of 1 million? Pierre is going to wipe the floor with that stumblebum idiot. Go Pierre!! :up:

rustled
Buddha of the Board

Post by rustled »

The Green Barbarian wrote: May 26th, 2023, 9:33 am
rustled wrote: May 26th, 2023, 9:03 am

This is the narrative.

Yes. Well said. As soon as I see someone who claims to be "a centrist" and who "hasn't made up their mind" babbling on about how Pierre is "divisive" and "polarizing" I know that person is just lying their butt off as they are of course voting Liberal and are freaking scared of Pierre. I really like how Pierre stands up to woke idiot reporters who are (like with all Conservative leaders) always trying to "trap" him with gotcha questions, while lobbing softballs at our current idiot PM. Pierre always sees it coming and always nails them, hard, like in this example:

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ ... -poilievre

Reminds me of the days of the last Conservative government, when guys like John Baird would have to put idiot CBC reporters in their place for asking really stupid questions, that of course now they would never ask the Liberals, as their mandate changed from "attack all the time" to "protect no matter what" when it comes to governments. Go Pierre!!
:up: :up:
The intelligent man is not the man who holds such-and-such views but the man who has sound reasons for what he believes and yet does not believe it dogmatically.

Return to “Canada”