45%

Total votes: 87

Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Re: Should the West separate?

Post by Homeownertoo »

dudlee wrote:One reason to Separate.

Subject: About our OAS pension

URGENT ATTENTION About Our OAS pensions Bill C-428 An Act to Amend the Old Age Security Act ( residency requirements)

This bill had first reading in the house on June 18, 2009. When I saw the video on U tube, I heard that it was seconded by Bob Rae. MP Ms Dhalla who introduced the bill represents the riding of Brampton whose population is mainly east Indian. Right now you have to have lived in Canada for 10 years in order to qualify for Old Age Security. She wants the time reduced to 3 years. So you could come here when you are 62 years old, never work or contribute to this county’s tax system etc and qualify for full Old Age Security benefits. Can you believe this. 10 years is a stretch!!

The bill has been killed for now. BTW, no one would qualify for full OAS benefits after 3 years, they would qualify for the OAS program after 3 years, a significant difference. Still, I am very much opposed to this proposed change, though I expect some day it will be the law.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

I've talked to people from Alberta that want to separate - they say they don't want to take the rest of the West with them, especially BC, because we are all welfare sucking lazy unionist pot smokers. That's the impression most Albertans have of us. Of course, we think they are all racist dumb rednecks so I guess it balances out. It would help if we weren't lazy unionists and if BC hadn't for all of those years been a net transfer payment receiver as opposed to payer (not sure how true that is but that's what Albertans think anyway) like Alberta always is. So there you go - separation isn't as easy as we think - we have to convince our stronger economic cousins like Alberta and Saskatchewan to take us with them, and give up a lot of what we hold dear here in BC - like our laziness and expectations of being paid a "living" wage no matter how menial the task we are performing. Our neighbours aren't so big on these things, and really hate the high taxes we seem to have no problem paying to support our unionized welfare state here in BC.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

I'm not ready to go down the separation road but if we did, the association with Alberta would do BC a lot of good. It should dilute some of the knee-jerk leftism that infects our politics and introduce a dose of principled conservatism here. But first they have to turf Steady Eddy and the PCs, and get back on track with a Wildrose gov't.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Liberty and Truth

Homeownertoo wrote:I'm not ready to go down the separation road but if we did, the association with Alberta would do BC a lot of good. It should dilute some of the knee-jerk leftism that infects our politics and introduce a dose of principled conservatism here. But first they have to turf Steady Eddy and the PCs, and get back on track with a Wildrose gov't.

a reality wake up call would do a lot of BC'ers a lot of good. If we joined with Alberta BC Hydro would be privatized about 10 seconds later, there's no way the Albertans would stand for all of that unionized laziness and corruption. I know people inside BC Hydro, they laugh when some idiot comes out in the media crying about "Campbell's going to sell out our future!" whenever the Libs talk about privatizing that money eating behemoth. The BCGEU spends a ton of dough perpetuating that myth and scare-mongering the panicky sheep about privatization to protect all of those lazy union jobs. My friends inside say that the levels of laziness, sloth and money wasting that goes on inside BC Hydro are just unprecendented, and would NEVER be tolerated if actual accountability were brought in. Every time they see someone screaming about the horrors of privatization they know it's either a union plant or just a pathetic mush-head who has bought into the scare tactics. Anyway - like I said - a lot of "sacred cows" in BC would have to fall if a union with Alberta were to ever work, and I doubt we are ready for that here.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Liberty and Truth wrote:
Homeownertoo wrote:I'm not ready to go down the separation road but if we did, the association with Alberta would do BC a lot of good. It should dilute some of the knee-jerk leftism that infects our politics and introduce a dose of principled conservatism here. But first they have to turf Steady Eddy and the PCs, and get back on track with a Wildrose gov't.

a reality wake up call would do a lot of BC'ers a lot of good. If we joined with Alberta BC Hydro would be privatized about 10 seconds later, there's no way the Albertans would stand for all of that unionized laziness and corruption. I know people inside BC Hydro, they laugh when some idiot comes out in the media crying about "Campbell's going to sell out our future!" whenever the Libs talk about privatizing that money eating behemoth. The BCGEU spends a ton of dough perpetuating that myth and scare-mongering the panicky sheep about privatization to protect all of those lazy union jobs. My friends inside say that the levels of laziness, sloth and money wasting that goes on inside BC Hydro are just unprecendented, and would NEVER be tolerated if actual accountability were brought in. Every time they see someone screaming about the horrors of privatization they know it's either a union plant or just a pathetic mush-head who has bought into the scare tactics. Anyway - like I said - a lot of "sacred cows" in BC would have to fall if a union with Alberta were to ever work, and I doubt we are ready for that here.

:dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:

good stuff.!! Thanks i needed a good laugh.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Liberty and Truth

flyerfan2 wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote:

:dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:

good stuff.!! Thanks i needed a good laugh.

no problem.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

:137: Ben - did you accidently swallow a bottle of stupid pills this morning ???
Liberty and Truth

steven lloyd wrote::137: Ben - did you accidently swallow a bottle of stupid pills this morning ???

SL - quite possibly. That being said - I am just relating what BC Hydro people are telling me. So I guess they are chewing stupid pills too. :129:
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

I was referring more to the general and generous reliance on rhetoric throughout your last few posts on this thread. Anyways ... another "lazy" day at work ahead for another "slack" union worker.

Later :bump:
Liberty and Truth

steven lloyd wrote:I was referring more to the general and generous reliance on rhetoric throughout your last few posts on this thread. Anyways ... another "lazy" day at work ahead for another "slack" union worker.

Later :bump:

Sweet. Yeah good point on the rhetoric. To sum up - Alberta doesn't like us very much - we are too lazy, too much in love with our unions and welfare programs, so I don't forsee a separation from Canada any time soon happening that has us paired with Alberta. That's it.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Liberty and Truth wrote: Yeah good point on the rhetoric. To sum up - Alberta doesn't like us very much - we are too lazy, too much in love with our unions and welfare programs, etc., ...

Ya, I see you got the point :127:
Liberty and Truth

steven lloyd wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote: Yeah good point on the rhetoric. To sum up - Alberta doesn't like us very much - we are too lazy, too much in love with our unions and welfare programs, etc., ...

Ya, I see you got the point :127:

I got it - just bugging you. :9923:
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

:130: Is it too early for beers ? (I gotta a union job and don't have to "work")
Liberty and Truth

steven lloyd wrote::130: Is it too early for beers ? (I gotta a union job and don't have to "work")

man how do I get one of these jobs? :wink:
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Liberty and Truth wrote:
steven lloyd wrote::130: Is it too early for beers ? (I gotta a union job and don't have to "work")

man how do I get one of these jobs? :wink:

That's a union secret.

Return to “Canada”