$102,186 a year with summer, Christmas and Spring Break off

logicalview
Guru

$102,186 a year with summer, Christmas and Spring Break off

Post by logicalview »

Ontario college teachers to vote on ‘terrible offer

Anxious to avoid a strike Feb. 11, Ontario’s community colleges will go directly to teachers for a vote on the latest contract offer as soon as possible, and the union says it will not stand in the way.

“We expect it will be rejected – it’s a terrible offer –Ted Montgomery, chair of the negotiating team for the Ontario Public Service Employees’ Union (OPSEU).

Hmm, terrible offer. What does the employer have to say?

“We are asking that the offer go to a vote because we think the faculty should have an opportunity to have their say,” said Rachel Donovan, chair of the colleges’ bargaining team. She said the offer includes a 5.9 per cent pay hike over three years, bringing a college teacher’s maximum salary to $102,186 by Sept. 1, 2011, an increase of $5,650 over the previous collective agreement.

Sounds lucrative.

But how many really want to give up big time cash in favour of even bigger big time cash?

Only 57 per cent of faculty in January voted in favour of a strike, although Montgomery said that represents 1,000 more teachers who voted for than against.

Those pesky teachers.

The union is asking for 7.5 per cent more over three years, plus more decision-making power in everything from schedules to how students are tested; a change they say would make the system more “collegial.”

Image=collegial
Not afraid to say "It".
Al Czervic
Guru

Re: $102,186 a year with summer, Christmas and Spring Break off

Post by Al Czervic »

Yet another example of the greed of Canada’s Public Sector Unions. People are losing jobs across the country and these greedy Unionists are demanding a 7.5% pay raise. Absolutely no shame.
Back with a vengeance
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

shame? A Union suffering shame from demanding more money during an economic downturn? Shame?? What's that? Facing reality? What's that?
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

I'm curious, how you guys can come to these conclusions without knowing the complete pay scale, or even some kind of average.

What is actually shameful is the logic employed to come to the conclusion that the union's actions are shameful based on the percentage of the salary increase, or the maximum salary. My tuition just went up, is the university shameful too?

My apologies to anyone that has actually looked up the relevant numbers and reached their conclusion before posting.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

It’s not unlike members of the BCTF here in B.C A few weeks back I posted the truth that the average teacher in this district is making close to $ 70,000 a year for nine months work. People challenged me and said this was not so. I provided the links that clearly indicate it is precisely accurate. Next time you hear about “not enough money for education” and “rising tuition fees” that are making education out of reach for average students just remember where ALL of the money is going.

Don’t treat these raises so lightly because it is our scarce tax dollars that pay for them. Here is my question. Why is there some sort of entitlement to a raise every contract including full benefits and pension simply because you happen to work for the taxpayer? How about for once showing the taxpayer some respect and asking for a wage freeze ?
Back with a vengeance
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Teachers - who needs them? What do they do for our society anyways?

I'm sure all you capitalistic anti-union people would love to see teachers paid peanuts - unless they were teaching YOUR KIDS that is. But you have money - you can send them to private school right?

Remember if it wasnt for unions all you blue collar trades people would be making min wage - and kissing your bosses *bleep* for the chance to even have a job. Otherwise - you might get blacklisted and never work in this town again.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Al Czervic wrote:It’s not unlike members of the BCTF here in B.C A few weeks back I posted the truth that the average teacher in this district is making close to $ 70,000 a year for nine months work. People challenged me and said this was not so. I provided the links that clearly indicate it is precisely accurate. Next time you hear about “not enough money for education” and “rising tuition fees” that are making education out of reach for average students just remember where ALL of the money is going.

...to pay for the Olympics?

Colleges are the private sector. They raise their prices because they hold the monopoly on life. Profits. The government provides you with a high school education that gets you a job at McDonalds - want anything better than 14 bucks a hour? Go to college - aw cant afford it? - well there are 10 people behind you with rich parents so get out of the way.

After all we cant all succeed, who with serve the hamburgers and pump the gas?
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Dunestraits wrote:Teachers - who needs them? What do they do for our society anyways?

I'm sure all you capitalistic anti-union people would love to see teachers paid peanuts - unless they were teaching YOUR KIDS that is. But you have money - you can send them to private school right?

Remember if it wasnt for unions all you blue collar trades people would be making min wage - and kissing your bosses *bleep* for the chance to even have a job. Otherwise - you might get blacklisted and never work in this town again.

I am not begrudging teacher’s what they make. I am pointing out that wages have indeed risen significantly much as education spending has also risen and our ability to pay is becoming challenged. Those are simply the facts and yet they are often distorted by various teacher’s Unions trying to pretend that education funding has been decreased. This is both a lie and an insult to taxpayers.
Back with a vengeance
mekathy
Übergod

Post by mekathy »

What I can't stand is pay raises across the board based on seniority rather than productiveness. There are some amazing teachers that are making alot less than some dinosaurs that should have jumped ship long ago. That is why I abhor unions. I don't think anyone deserves a raise just because they breathe... Perhaps if they were given raises based on performance you would see more and more amazing teachers.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

Al Czervic wrote:It’s not unlike members of the BCTF here in B.C A few weeks back I posted the truth that the average teacher in this district is making close to $ 70,000 a year for nine months work.

Any chance you checked how much an equivalent private school teacher makes?
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

Dunestraits wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:It’s not unlike members of the BCTF here in B.C A few weeks back I posted the truth that the average teacher in this district is making close to $ 70,000 a year for nine months work. People challenged me and said this was not so. I provided the links that clearly indicate it is precisely accurate. Next time you hear about “not enough money for education” and “rising tuition fees” that are making education out of reach for average students just remember where ALL of the money is going.

...to pay for the Olympics?

Colleges are the private sector. They raise their prices because they hold the monopoly on life. Profits. The government provides you with a high school education that gets you a job at McDonalds - want anything better than 14 bucks a hour? Go to college - aw cant afford it? - well there are 10 people behind you with rich parents so get out of the way.

After all we cant all succeed, who with serve the hamburgers and pump the gas?

Colleges are the private sector eh? That's why the college profs are represented in this negotiation by the Ontario Public Service Employees’ Union? Try getting your facts straight, and giving your angry head a shake. DeVry is a private sector school. Community colleges are funded by the province. So when the professors demand a raise - guess who pays for it? Not the private sector. We do.

What's with all this "rich parents" rhetoric anyway? You just sound like every other bozo out there with a chip on their shoulder because they are too lazy to scrimp and save up to pay for a college education and work their butt off and then are angry because you can't get a decent job, so you just put down all those out there who do. College tuitions are affordable if you work at it - and there is plenty of "help" available financially to students who can't afford it. Just be thankful you live in a country that offers you so much accessability to education - try living in a country less fortunate for awhile - you'd see people in those countries would give their right arm to get the kind of education you take for granted here in Canada.

I just worry that our soft governments and bad negotiating are giving too much away to the public sector unions and causing the quality of our educational system to slowly but surely get peed down the proverbial drain, as unions drain the government coffers and professors and teachers forget that their priority is teaching, not constantly worrying about adding another 5 minutes to their coffee breaks and another two days a year to their "PD" days.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Liberty and Truth wrote:
I just worry that our soft governments and bad negotiating are giving too much away to the public sector unions and causing the quality of our educational system to slowly but surely get peed down the proverbial drain, as unions drain the government coffers and professors and teachers forget that their priority is teaching, not constantly worrying about adding another 5 minutes to their coffee breaks and another two days a year to their "PD" days.

Very well said. Could not agree more.
Back with a vengeance
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

mekathy wrote:What I can't stand is pay raises across the board based on seniority rather than productiveness. There are some amazing teachers that are making alot less than some dinosaurs that should have jumped ship long ago. That is why I abhor unions. I don't think anyone deserves a raise just because they breathe... Perhaps if they were given raises based on performance you would see more and more amazing teachers.

Performance based pay before performance based raises.

Simply amazing that these unionists *bleep* about a $102,000 salary. They don't deserve the job nor the salary that goes with it.

Set the vote date for mid-summer.
Not afraid to say "It".
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

nolanrh wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:It’s not unlike members of the BCTF here in B.C A few weeks back I posted the truth that the average teacher in this district is making close to $ 70,000 a year for nine months work.

Any chance you checked how much an equivalent private school teacher makes?

I don't think anybody cares how much private school teachers make. It's their business what they pay them. But when taxpayers start paying for someone's wages, especially when we talk about 1,000s of employees, it's their right to ask questions. And this is what's going on.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

nolanrh wrote:Any chance you checked how much an equivalent private school teacher makes?

I don't know about teachers, but public sector employees make about 30% more than those in the private sector (including benefits) [1]. Public sector employees who are compensated the most tend to be federal government employees, females, and individuals at the lower tail of the wage
distribution. Provincial employees are compensated less than Federal, but more than local government employees. In addition, the gap between private and public sector wages has been widening over time [2,3].

As an aside, when the three levels of government employees are broken down by gender provincial male employees are compensated less than their private sector counterparts [3].

[1] http://www.cfib-fcei.ca/cfib-documents/rr3077.pdf
[2] http://www.cfib.ca/research/reports/WW_Canada_e.pdf
[3] Mueller R.E. Public-private sector wage differentials in Canada: Evidence from quantile regressions. (1998) Economics Letters, 60 (2), pp. 229-235.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Canada”