The Eviction of Non-Natives

Russ79
Board Meister

The Eviction of Non-Natives

Post by Russ79 »

I cannot believe this is allowed to happen. I'm sure the Mohawk government was more than happy to accept money from the non natives to buy houses on their land and to throw them out is brutal. Of course its buyer be ware when you buy on native land. I just get *bleep* off when i hear stories like this. Our taxes go to the natives, they drive on our roads, go to our schools, use our utilities, we go to the same stores and restaurants. They have all the comforts of a modern living (in most cases)
I never took their land nor did my parents or my grandparents. Why should i pay for what happened along time ago... My point is if they want to have land claims, evict non natives from their homes well then we should take back our lifestyle. They can live in Tee Pees and their traditional way of life and we will live ours.. I am not a racist but when you hear this same old poor me story" the white man took everything" you kinda get sick and tired of it. We are ALL Canadians now. We should all work and pay taxes equally. We should remember were we all came from but leave the past in the past and lets move forward. Forever demanding compensation for something that happened long ago and to which no one is alive today who committed these acts is getting old. I dunno what does everyone think?? I know its a touchy subject and I apologize to anyone i have offended.. but there it is.
If you are reading this thank your teacher.
If you are reading this in english thank a vet.
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Re: The Eviction of Non-Natives

Post by justmyopinion »

I would have to agree with most of that Russ...I don't think it's fair, especially with the purchasing of homes on native land....and lots of the natives taking advantage of the "breaks" are not even full natives....I don't have a problem with a full on native getting a bit of a tax break if they are on "thier" land, but come on, even those who are only half native?? maybe they should only get half a break!
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I have to agree with you 100%. The natives are sure happy to adopt the luxuries of being Canadian but then take advantage of white man and his weaknesses financially. Maybe we all just need to sit around a camp fire and get drunk and sort it all out like the old days.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
TimmyE
Board Meister

Post by TimmyE »

I thought the days of confrontation gave way to reasoning and what makes sense. This story just confirms this nagging thought I have about dealing with native and native bands.
maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

I agree......enough is enough. We've put up with these free-loaders for too long. My suggestion would be: once any first nation achieves self government, give them a year to get their ducks in a row and then let them pay federal and provincial taxes like everyone else. There shouldn't be a native only fishery or any reference to 'our traditional territory'. There shouldn't a *insert special group's name* only anything. The world is a competative place. If you can't compete, too bad. Why should we subsidise their cluture of laziness. Before I get scolded by the bleeding hearts out there, I realize that there are some 'natives' that are successful however, their success is partially built on the backs of the 'lesser' band members.

Let the backlash begin.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

It kind of reminds me of the old kicking blacks off the buses days. :200:
They say you can't believe everything they say.
enough

Post by enough »

From the sounds of the story I highly doubt that the non-native tenents were owners of homes seeing as:
"It's been a longstanding custom that the community of Kahnawake is for the members of Kahnawake, and according to Mohawk custom code, tradition and Mohawk law reinstituted again in 2004, people of anything other than Mohawk unless they've transferred into our membership files can't live in Kahnawake," Delisle said." Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story ... z0eUfs6Npg

Also Delisle said:
"Grand Chief Michael Delisle said the non-native residents have become a growing concern in the community just south of Montreal on the banks of the St. Lawrence River." Whos to say that they were not evicting non-desirable tenents with cause. We don't know.

I wonder how much notice the tenents were given? and what is the justification of the eviction if it was just because they are on Mohawk reserve or if it is another reason. I would like to hear more about this story.
"After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box."
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

Delisle said everyone in the community is strongly encouraged to marry a Mohawk or at least someone with native blood, otherwise their partners could be evicted from the reserve.

That is bizzarre.
Why is this posted in Kelowna threads?
Is there any concern in Kelowna or West Kelowna that non-natives will be evicted from WFN lands?

Do you think this is a precedent?
Russ79
Board Meister

Post by Russ79 »

That is bizzarre.
Is there any concern in Kelowna or West Kelowna that non-natives will be evicted from WFN lands?

Do you think this is a precedent?[/quote]

Who knows could be.. Point is its wrong, and its racism. They want equal rights and opportunity, we demand the same. Imagine if a white neighborhood kicked out all the indians... there would be hell to pay...
The native issue effects all of Canada, Kelowna threads included
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

Russ79 wrote:That is bizzarre.

Do you think this is a precedent?

Who knows could be.. Point is its wrong, and its racism. They want equal rights and opportunity, we demand the same. Imagine if a white neighborhood kicked out all the indians... there would be hell to pay...
The native issue effects all of Canada, Kelowna threads included

What I would like to know is WHY? Why do they want to evict the non-natives.
Why do they insist that the non-natives marry the natives in order to not be evicted.
Makes no sense.
Russ79
Board Meister

Post by Russ79 »

I dont know why the mohawks would want non natives to marry natives to not be evicted. Maybe to keep blood lines in the future.... thats my guess
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

I would suggest that if it was about that, they would forbid mixed marriages, not encourage them.

Anyways, until I know WHY, I cannot make any judgement or comments about it, because I do not have the full story, therefore, I do not understand.

There are many caucasan folk with 1/16 or 1/8 native ancestory, who benefit from the aboriginal programs in our public schools.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Advocate wrote:
Anyways, until I know WHY, I cannot make any judgement or comments about it, because I do not have the full story, therefore, I do not understand.

Exactly. For all we know the majority of the Caucasian population on that reserve may be engaged in criminal activity and could be capitalizing on the general lack of law enforcement on reserves and also taking advantage of vulnerable members of that particular band.
Back with a vengeance
maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

Al Czervic wrote:
Advocate wrote:

Exactly. For all we know the majority of the Caucasian population on that reserve may be engaged in criminal activity and could be capitalizing on the general lack of law enforcement on reserves and also taking advantage of vulnerable members of that particular band.

Yes, you're right....they could be just emulating what the band council is doing.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

maxx wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:
Advocate wrote:

Yes, you're right....they could be just emulating what the band council is doing.

Touché!
Back with a vengeance

Return to “Canada”