Importation of Protestors?

Al Czervic
Guru

Re: Importation of Protestors?

Post by Al Czervic »

Harvey Oferfeld commneted on the protestor's today...here is the second half of his comments...

Let’s face it … we will NEVER totally solve the homeless problem. Some homeless, for various reasons, cannot and do not want to be housed. They have rights too that must be respected.

What about the rest?

If Vancouver, the B.C. government and the federal government came up with enough dough (taking even more out of your pocket, by the way, to do it) and gave EVERY homeless person in Vancouver his or her own furnished, room, rent free … do you really believe that would be the end of it?

No … within weeks, another 1,000 homeless and all kinds of others too would make their way here from all over the country to seek B.C.’s “free housing”.

And as word got out … they would keep coming. And where would the money come from? Aren’t both the province and federal governments already oprating with deficits.

Are we to reduce spending on health care, education etc just to provide a massive free housing program for those unable to or unwilling to work?

Even a national “free housing program” costing BILLIONS would still see Vancouver inundated, thanks to its much milder climate, by people attracted to the idea of FREE housing on the Pacific!

Talk to our homeless: see how many are from the city or elsewhere is B.C. and I believe you’ll be struck by the huge numbers from back East. And who can blame them! Are we really to become the nation’s free housing centre?

Many people are unaware that BC already has housed more than 4,600 homeless people and has spent nearly $130 million to purchase 45 apartment buildings, townhouses buildings and single room occupancy hotels around B.C.. That alone added 2,000 housing units for the disadvantaged.

There are indeed more homeless who still need help. But how much more are YOU willing to pay in extra taxes to fund free housing … for all Canadians who want it?

The realities surrounding the homeless and supported housing question in B.C. raise some very difficult societal and financial issues.

But Pivot will do nothing to aid the cause by putting the poor on display and exploiting them for political purposes.

Harv Oberfeld

Back with a vengeance
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

This may come as a bit of a shock to you, L&T, but the people in Sochi have TVs. Yes, it's true my friend. Russia allows it's citizens to own TVs. When the Olympics are on they will be watching the Olympics. When the TV coverage shows how many people are *bleep* right off by having the Olympics here, hopefully Sochiites will take notice and realise what a scam it is.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

old-bushman wrote:This may come as a bit of a shock to you, L&T, but the people in Sochi have TVs. Yes, it's true my friend. Russia allows it's citizens to own TVs. When the Olympics are on they will be watching the Olympics. When the TV coverage shows how many people are *bleep* right off by having the Olympics here, hopefully Sochiites will take notice and realise what a scam it is.

You're missing a few facts here Bushman but what are facts really worth in a debate.

1. I was being tongue in cheek about the Gulags - hello!
2. I know Russians have TV's. I have been to Russia and have seen it myself.
3. The Russians haven't hosted an Olympics since 1980 and half the world didn't show up due to their little misunderstanding (tongue in cheek again - weird eh?) with Afghanistan back then.
4. They've been dying to show the world how much they've changed since those nasty old commie days
5. Unlike the worker's paradise of Vancouver, the Russian labour costs are a bit more reasonable. I do see your point about the Olympics being a rip-off, and I just don't see any country that has powerful unions and unreasonably high labour costs ever being able to make money on the Olympics. I think Russia may go over on costs, but I doubt they'll be anything close to the cost over-runs that Vancouver and London will have, because their costs for labour won't be even in the same galaxy as the heavily unionized/unreasonably priced costs of labour that Vanc and London will have.
6. If the Russians happen to see any protestors, I know they'll laugh heartily. Look at those little Canadians protesting their government - dah - they have problems all right. Nyet!
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

While the labour costs may be lower in Russia, the level of corruption is what will do them in.
Liberty and Truth

old-bushman wrote:While the labour costs may be lower in Russia, the level of corruption is what will do them in.

that is a good point - their corruption level is on par with Montreal in 1976.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Montreal is still bad. Tried to build a road out there lately? 25% more expensive than anywhere else in Canada
Liberty and Truth

old-bushman wrote:Montreal is still bad. Tried to build a road out there lately? 25% more expensive than anywhere else in Canada

nope that is one thing I haven't done. But I am not surprised in the least.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Meanwhile, getting back on topic, I think Canadians are too laid back to protest effectively.

"Don't bother me with your concerns right now, there's a hockey game on" type attitude.
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Post by quietlywatching84 »

old-bushman wrote:Just as long as they spend lots of cash while they're up here. It will be good for our economy. Foreign investment, trade surpluses, and all that kind of thing. I wonder if Gordo himself organised these protesters. You know he will do whatever he can to help the BC economy.

LOL, thought the exact same thing. Make sure they buy something while they are here and we'll let them off as "annoying tourists".
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.

Return to “Canada”