Deceivin' Stephen jumps left - after prorogue

I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10439
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Deceivin' Stephen jumps left - after prorogue

Post by I Think »

So without an opportunity for debate, our illustrious supreme commander has taken a huge jump to the left. Tho I suspect that the upcoming new rules for mortgage lending may be a good thing, I am very much against Flaherty sneaking in the new rules which take effect in April of this year without giving Canadians a chance to hear debate of the pros and cons in the light of day.

Raising the requirements for obtaining a mortgage especially for owners of multiples of property in order to stave off a possible housing bubble aka the US is probably needed, but so is public debate.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3922
Joined: Nov 8th, 2007, 8:16 pm

Re: Deceivin' stevin jumps left - after prorogue

Post by grumpydigger »

Harpo realizes that he must move to the left, for him to ever have a chance of having a majority government...........the George Bush type right wing thinking has been proven to be highly destructive to governments..........

The prorogue has made many Canadians extremely angry,and even his minority may be slipping away.........
Static
Guru
Posts: 6808
Joined: Nov 11th, 2008, 4:47 pm

Re: Deceivin' stevin jumps left - after prorogue

Post by Static »

It will cool the housing market. What else it to debate? Harper is educated in Economics and basically wrote the Conservative scripture, he is well aware of the implications and I am welcoming it.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10439
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: Deceivin' stevin jumps left - after prorogue

Post by I Think »

The point is, it is a major change that will affect many, made with no chance at any discussion.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
quietlywatching84
Übergod
Posts: 1870
Joined: Sep 17th, 2006, 3:47 pm

Re: Deceivin' stevin jumps left - after prorogue

Post by quietlywatching84 »

I doubt that the only thing the opposition would say is that he didn't do enough, probably in the area of the minimum downpayment in particular.

I think when all the dust settles, this will be good for the country.
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
Al Czervic
Guru
Posts: 7805
Joined: Nov 29th, 2004, 10:30 pm

Re: Deceivin' stevin jumps left - after prorogue

Post by Al Czervic »

It is a smart and prudent move by Harper. Everyone knows that the interest rates ARE going to rise, it is only a case of when. These changes will ensure that less financially stable people are not going to be trying to keep their heads above water when that occurs.

Also lowering the housing market prices through some reduced demand as a result of this policy is also a positive as artificially high prices are unhealthy. If housing prices drop to the point that they are less than the mortgage value than there is no equity left and people simply walk away. This is when things get very, very bad for your economy....look no further than the US to see why.
Back with a vengeance
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10439
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: Deceivin' stevin jumps left - after prorogue

Post by I Think »

You guys may be (prolly are) right, but should he have done it without debate?
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
quietlywatching84
Übergod
Posts: 1870
Joined: Sep 17th, 2006, 3:47 pm

Re: Deceivin' stevin jumps left - after prorogue

Post by quietlywatching84 »

Nibs wrote:You guys may be (prolly are) right, but should he have done it without debate?


Probably would have been better. Harper has a bit of a history of having difficulty following his economics training, particularly that "Canada isn't in recession" gaff from 2009/2008. He was probably holding the chart upside down.

Now would the opposition actually suggest something productive on this particular policy move is another question entirely.
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
User avatar
westsidebud
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3808
Joined: Jul 18th, 2009, 11:36 pm

Re: Deceivin' stevin jumps left - after prorogue

Post by westsidebud »

quietlywatching84 wrote:
Nibs wrote:You guys may be (prolly are) right, but should he have done it without debate?


Probably would have been better. Harper has a bit of a history of having difficulty following his economics training, particularly that "Canada isn't in recession" gaff from 2009/2008. He was probably holding the chart upside down.

Now would the opposition actually suggest something productive on this particular policy move is another question entirely.

exactly. harper knows about as much about the suubject as gordo does, which equals nadda.

ill be glad to see harper go and even tho it will mean iggy , ill take that over the bush wanna be
GO CANUCKS GO
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Deceivin' stevin jumps left - after prorogue

Post by NAB »

Seems to me there is no reason for debate unless there is a desire to change existing legislation under which government operates (manages the country). These changes have been made under existing legislation and powers granted to Ministers. Besides, they are pretty minor changes anyway - more in the form of sending a signal than doing anything significant. Just a shot across the bow as it were. Not much will result from them other than (hopefully) a bit of improved market stability in the face of rising interest rates.

Most people will see it as a non-issue I think.
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
westsidebud
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3808
Joined: Jul 18th, 2009, 11:36 pm

Re: Deceivin' stevin jumps left - after prorogue

Post by westsidebud »

NAB wrote:Seems to me there is no reason for debate unless there is a desire to change existing legislation under which government operates (manages the country). These changes have been made under existing legislation and powers granted to Ministers. Besides, they are pretty minor changes anyway - more in the form of sending a signal than doing anything significant. Just a shot across the bow as it were. Not much will result from them other than (hopefully) a bit of improved market stability in the face of rising interest rates.

Most people will see it as a non-issue I think.

you hope. but the facts are harpers days are numbered, better get you iggy pin out :coffeecanuck:
GO CANUCKS GO
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Deceivin' stevin jumps left - after prorogue

Post by NAB »

westsidebud wrote:
NAB wrote:Seems to me there is no reason for debate unless there is a desire to change existing legislation under which government operates (manages the country). These changes have been made under existing legislation and powers granted to Ministers. Besides, they are pretty minor changes anyway - more in the form of sending a signal than doing anything significant. Just a shot across the bow as it were. Not much will result from them other than (hopefully) a bit of improved market stability in the face of rising interest rates.

Most people will see it as a non-issue I think.

you hope. but the facts are harpers days are numbered, better get you iggy pin out :coffeecanuck:


LOL. An "Iggy" pin is the last thing I would display. As for Harper's days being numbered, we shall see what we shall see :-) As far as I know there are no "facts" pointing in that direction at the moment. The only "fact" right now is that the opposition will soon be in a position to force an election should they choose to. The big question is... have they got the guts to do it?
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
westsidebud
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3808
Joined: Jul 18th, 2009, 11:36 pm

Re: Deceivin' stevin jumps left - after prorogue

Post by westsidebud »

NAB wrote:
westsidebud wrote:
NAB wrote:Seems to me there is no reason for debate unless there is a desire to change existing legislation under which government operates (manages the country). These changes have been made under existing legislation and powers granted to Ministers. Besides, they are pretty minor changes anyway - more in the form of sending a signal than doing anything significant. Just a shot across the bow as it were. Not much will result from them other than (hopefully) a bit of improved market stability in the face of rising interest rates.

Most people will see it as a non-issue I think.

you hope. but the facts are harpers days are numbered, better get you iggy pin out :coffeecanuck:


LOL. An "Iggy" pin is the last thing I would display. As for Harper's days being numbered, we shall see what we shall see :-) As far as I know there are no "facts" pointing in that direction at the moment. The only "fact" right now is that the opposition will soon be in a position to force an election should they choose to. The big question is... have they got the guts to do it?

i disagree with forcing a election now. i say let harpers term run out and then see where the chips fall
GO CANUCKS GO
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Deceivin' stevin jumps left - after prorogue

Post by NAB »

westsidebud wrote:
NAB wrote:
westsidebud wrote:
NAB wrote:Seems to me there is no reason for debate unless there is a desire to change existing legislation under which government operates (manages the country). These changes have been made under existing legislation and powers granted to Ministers. Besides, they are pretty minor changes anyway - more in the form of sending a signal than doing anything significant. Just a shot across the bow as it were. Not much will result from them other than (hopefully) a bit of improved market stability in the face of rising interest rates.

Most people will see it as a non-issue I think.

you hope. but the facts are harpers days are numbered, better get you iggy pin out :coffeecanuck:


LOL. An "Iggy" pin is the last thing I would display. As for Harper's days being numbered, we shall see what we shall see :-) As far as I know there are no "facts" pointing in that direction at the moment. The only "fact" right now is that the opposition will soon be in a position to force an election should they choose to. The big question is... have they got the guts to do it?

i disagree with forcing a election now. i say let harpers term run out and then see where the chips fall


Yup, that's probably the way it will play out. I rather doubt the Liberals have the stomach to try to take over management of the economy until such time as we have fully emerged from the meltdown and are back on solid ground. IMO that's going to take at least another 5 years, and hopefully by then Mr. Iggy will have moved on to something else.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Deceivin' stevin jumps left - after prorogue

Post by steven lloyd »

westsidebud wrote: ill be glad to see harper go and even tho it will mean iggy ,

that would really be iggyotic (sorry - old joke)

Return to “Canada”