Lyrics to O Canada Might be Changed

NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: Lyrics to O Canada Might be Changed

Post by NAB »

Interesting. I didn't realize that "Oh Canada" didn't become Canada's OFFICIAL national Anthem until 1980, and I know the version I learned to sing is not the same as the current version, so I end up struggling with the words now.

Excerpt:

"O Canada" was proclaimed Canada's national anthem on July 1, 1980, 100 years after it was first sung on June 24, 1880. The music was composed by Calixa Lavallée, a well-known composer; French lyrics to accompany the music were written by Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier. The song gained steadily in popularity. Many English versions have appeared over the years. The version on which the official English lyrics are based was written in 1908 by Mr. Justice Robert Stanley Weir. The official English version includes changes recommended in 1968 by a Special Joint Committee of the Senate and House of Commons. The French lyrics remain unaltered."

Lots of history and versions of it here:
http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/symbl/anthem-eng.cfm
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Wingnut250

Post by Wingnut250 »

I think it sounds just great the way it dose. change it once sooon everyone will want there part in it. I do remember members of the hindu population wanted a portion of the anthem in their language for the olympics. I get tongue tied when that second verse dose the suprise switch to french. Id like to see Stan Rogers tune Northwest Passage which is commonly known unofficaly as our 2nd anthem be made official.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Perhaps it should start like "Oh Canada, our home and (the center of disputes over) native land?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

These lines I interpret as a reference to those who originated elsewhere in the world being commanded to adopt new allegiance to, and stand on guard for, their chosen country.

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

While these words command those who came here from somewhere else, and produce children born here, to instil in those children patriotism and love for their land of birth, not the land their parents or grandparents etc came from.

True patriot love in all thy sons command.

The "problem" appears to be that we have come to see the word "sons" in just the masculine, while in my youth it was accepted as being the same as "children" or rather "offspring" or something similar - but none of that fit the music well.

Perhaps the easiest solution is to simply change the word "sons" to "kids" ;-)

As for this line..
"O Canada! our home and native land!"

...I have a real problem with the suggestion to change the "and" to "on", for it is my understanding that applying the word "native" to first nations peoples is generally despised by them. I think it is a neutral word and appropriate as it is, since I consider myself born in England, but currently a native of Canada, currently a native of BC, curently a native of XXXXXX city, ....and formerly a native of Ontario and YYYYYYY community.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

The whole thing is assinine. They have already changed the lyrics for God knows what reason.

If they want to go gender neutral, how about "In all our SPAWN'S command ?"

Ridiculous. Doesn't our government have better things to do than to once again bow to the politically correct? Now wonder other countries think we are weaklings.

I personally have never liked the anthem, even less so when I found out that the French version:

Translation of French lyrics[1]

O Canada!
Land of our ancestors,
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious
garland of flowers.
As in thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the cross.
Thy history is an epic
Of the most brilliant exploits.
Thy valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights
Will protect our homes and our rights.

Gee, that sure sounds like something which will unify the country. Where is the part about
"true patriot love".

Since the lyrics were originally written in French, how did we get the English lyrics? They are in no way a translation of the French. It's like some huge joke on English speaking Canada.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Time to take the HORSEBLINDERS off kids!

Oh Canada lyrics? Shave your wool off, summers coming sheeple!

THIS IS A DISTRACTION.

- Afganistan prisoners ( people being questioned - not CONVICTED ) were tortured, the government knew about and did nothing. Whistleblower came out, government assasinated his character completely, then had to backtrack because it was shown the whistleblower was telling the truth

THEN

- Harper calls a Time Out - for the OLYIMPICS. ( hoping we would forget, remember the Liberals were sunk with a small sponsorship scandal - this is people being TORTURED, the government lieing about it, covering it up, and trying to destroy the person trying to stop it from happening to protect their federal jobs ) Took a extra month or so off after christmas.

THEN

- Canada wins some Gold, patriotism soars ( que the national anthem )

However Canada has NEVER been so much in debt. We are worse than a couple on "Till debt do us part" Worse than when Brian Mulroney was rackin' thinsgs up ( reasearch conservative governments and debt - interesting stats! )

So budget time and a throne speech later - and Canada is talking about LYRICS.

Do you feel distracted yet?

Why would a CONSERVATIVE government try to change something so "grassroots" Canada anyways? Isnt this more of a left wing move? Why would Harper do this?

FEELING DISTRACTED???

Dont take your eye off the ball.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

Harper was be getting bored if this is something mentioned in throne speech. "Wow" change it, don't change.......... don't really get a damn.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

On Castanet's poll, it's 703 against changing it and 49 for. That should be a good indication as to the mindset of the valley anyway, and I doubt it would vary too much across the country. Too bad more government decisions couldn't be done by internet polls like this... e.g if they asked who's in favor of keeping the young offender's act I'm sure it would be even more lop-sided. It always amazes how a government can make a decision that almost everyone disagrees is a good one.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
harvgar
Board Meister

Post by harvgar »

Change the National Anthem, why??? Come on! "Sons" is so gender neutral (I am woman and do not find it offensive) Per"son", alder"man", etc. where does it end? Next it will be the "God" issue and then "Command" (you have the "right" to command me?!) Grow a set! Grow up! Whatever! Leave tradition alone. If you are so "traumatized by it, don't sing along!!! Honestly..... :purefury:
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

zzontar wrote:On Castanet's poll, it's 703 against changing it and 49 for. That should be a good indication as to the mindset of the valley anyway, and I doubt it would vary too much across the country. Too bad more government decisions couldn't be done by internet polls like this... e.g if they asked who's in favor of keeping the young offender's act I'm sure it would be even more lop-sided. It always amazes how a government can make a decision that almost everyone disagrees is a good one.

What is needed with most such polls is a third option, such as "couldn't care less".

Nab
harvgar
Board Meister

Post by harvgar »

Currently
869 - No
56 - Yes
Hmmmm......
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

I have to agree "sons" to me is gender neutral.

And even if it's not I think this one word to show respect to our fallen soldiers & veterans should be left alone.
Perhaps the question should be asked of the mothers of fallen soldiers.

This is just pure diversion by the government from all the real issues facing this nation,
shame on them all.

harvgar wrote:Change the National Anthem, why??? Come on! "Sons" is so gender neutral (I am woman and do not find it offensive) Per"son", alder"man", etc. where does it end? Next it will be the "God" issue and then "Command" (you have the "right" to command me?!) Grow a set! Grow up! Whatever! Leave tradition alone. If you are so "traumatized by it, don't sing along!!! Honestly..... :purefury:
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
mott.hoople
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mott.hoople »

O Canada! Our home and native land! True patriot love in all our hearts command.

With these glowing hearts we see thee rise, The True North strong and free!

From far and wide, O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

We'll keep our land glorious and free! O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee

There ...solved.

Now get on with the economic issues we have going on here in Canada please...
These high thread count sheets feel amazing on my naked skin. Oh Oh... Here comes the Zellers manager. I wonder what she wants?
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Waste of time.
treeman97

Post by treeman97 »

Once more Canadian politicians show they have no spine, are wishy washy and afraid they might possibly offend some one. Instead of doing what they are supposed to do which is to represent wishes of the people in their constituency, they are much more concerned about towing the party line and getting re-elected. (Don't even get me started about their pension plan!) In their efforts to offend no one, they offend us all.

It seems there is a small group of people who seem to feel that having anything to do with being male is an insult to them or their beliefs. Enough already! To paraphrase Mark Twain "You can't please all of the people all of the time." Leave our national anthem alone.
How to start an argument: State an opinion and wait.

Return to “Canada”