Our courts and Judges need an overhaul

dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Our courts and Judges need an overhaul

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Yet another light bleeding heart sentences lets a scum bag out of jail so he can once again murder.

The system is broken yet none of our law makers can see that.

Some will argue the death sentence doesn't work, while in this case and many others it would have prevented further murders.

Last time i checked rope was cheap and could be used over and over.

Bullets are cheap also.

Murder suspect has violent past
by Wayne Moore - Story: 53226
Mar 11, 2010 / 10:30 am

Michael Richard Beauchamp has a violent history.

The man charged with the April 2009 death of Terrence Dale Wooley has spent time in prison for manslaughter.

Beauchamp was previously convicted of brutally killing three-year-old Briar Serena Greenwood in Kingston, Ontario on October 17 of 1999.

Beauchamp was convicted of manslaughter in 2002. He was ordered to serve 10 years in prison, however, that was cut in half because Beauchamp was given two-for-one credit for the two-and-a-half years he had already spent in jail awaiting trial.

The youngster and her mother, Danielle Greenwood, were living with Beauchamp at the time of the girl's death.

Beauchamp and the mother were both drug addicts.

The coroner in the case said the girl died from internal injuries as a result of being beaten the night before.

He said at the time her injuries included a torn liver. She died 12 hours after the beating.

The judge in the case described the crime as "reprehensible, unimaginable and beyond the scope of human comprehension."

Beauchamp was arrested in Penticton last Friday.

He has been charged with second degree murder in the death of Wooley who was found unconscious near the back door of Slack Alice's early on April 25, 2009.

Wooley died a month later.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Our courts and Judges need an overhaul

Post by Queen K »

Once again I am astonished that Flyerfan and I agree on something. Yes, I too am sick to death of violent crimes committed by people with long histories of criminal activity who have been let out, or unleashed, upon our society.

It's not feasible to house and feed them for the rest of their begotten life, and it's not feasible to have them in our society.

What to do?

I'm glad DNA is exhonerating people who have been victimized by the legal system. Google "wrongful conviction" and see how many sites come up.

On the other hand, we get cases like the above.

What to do?
If Putin stopped, he'd be saving Russian lives as well.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

flyerfan2 wrote:Yet another light bleeding heart sentences lets a scum bag out of jail

And here I thought you were talking about Rahim Jaffer....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/rahim-jaffer-case-heads-for-plea-bargain/article1478701/
Back with a vengeance
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Three thoughts.

1. Drug crimes giver harsher sentances than violent crimes. Kill a human, do 10 years. Sell people something they are asking for, go away *bleep* 25-40 years.

2. Judges can only sentance people if the Crown does their job. The crown is underfunded and the police do a wonderful job of screwing things up as well. The crown is more complelled to get "results" ( aka cut deals ) because on paper, a conviction is a conviction, and it costs less money.

3. Canada does not subscribe to the police state that the US currently applies. The facts have shown that NOBODY comes out of jail a better person. You dont send people to jail so the can learn good manners and its not called Con College for nothing. The Canadian justice system understands this. While it might make YOU feel good that a criminal goes away for 20 years - who is going to have to deal with him and how much will it cost to taxpayers when he comes out? The less time they spend in jail, the better. This doesnt always ring true ( Paul Bernardo ) as out justice system understands that some people cannot be helped and people need to be punished, but it is the goal of out justice system to NOT CREATE these types of people. There is no difference between doing 10 years in jail and 50 years, either way your coming out a messed up person, who has a criminal record and wont be able to earn good money - what do you think those people end up doing with themselves?
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Dunestraits wrote:.... Drug crimes giver harsher sentances than violent crimes. Kill a human, do 10 years. Sell people something they are asking for, go away *bleep* 25-40 years.

Huh? ;-)

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Good point Dunestraits. Are there any statistics on what ex-cons do after they are released? A life of poverty? A life of tax free wealth thanks to government funded "college"? How do they compare to average, law abiding citizens? (Those of us lucky enough not to have been caught yet.)

I think the average Canadian makes about 50k a year. Would con college be an opportunity for retraining for me during these tough economic times?
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

old-bushman wrote: Would con college be an opportunity for retraining for me during these tough economic times?

Sure. Might even have the luck to get involved in a new "relationship".
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

They got very little crime in Kennesaw Georgia! Every homeowner is required to be armed! I wouldn't want to be a crimminal in that town!
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Don't say that too loud around here or you will be branded a terrorist. We know what works, it's just some people are afraid of guns because they never had any experience with them. I was fortunate enough to be professionally trained from a very young age on the care, handling, and shooting of guns. People from the city don't normally get this opportunity.

I agree everybody should own at least one, and be required to be properly trained in how to handle guns. The training is very important. Even in very skilled hands, they are always considered loaded and dangerous, and are treated that way.

BTW. IMHO, if you can't kill a grouse on the ground with one shot from a 22, you should be required to go back for retraining. People that use shotguns on stationary birds are, in my opinion, not qualified and not sporting.

Edited to add: I have mixed feelings on 410 and 20 guage. Any opinions?
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

44 Magnum over a 357! I was lucky to grow up in the city and go work on the farms in the summer.
Shot lots of gophers with my uncle's 22. They left there doors unlocked!

old-bushman wrote:Don't say that too loud around here or you will be branded a terrorist. We know what works, it's just some people are afraid of guns because they never had any experience with them. I was fortunate enough to be professionally trained from a very young age on the care, handling, and shooting of guns. People from the city don't normally get this opportunity.

I agree everybody should own at least one, and be required to be properly trained in how to handle guns. The training is very important. Even in very skilled hands, they are always considered loaded and dangerous, and are treated that way.

BTW. IMHO, if you can't kill a grouse on the ground with one shot from a 22, you should be required to go back for retraining. People that use shotguns on stationary birds are, in my opinion, not qualified and not sporting.

Edited to add: I have mixed feelings on 410 and 20 guage. Any opinions?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Post by BVulgaris »

how about a general program like what singapore has to reabsorb citizens.

If you go to jail, while in the jail system you are given a job whether it be carpentry, metal work, etc. you are in essence taught a trade. If you need rehabilitation mental or drug you get it. Then when you get out of jail, you enter a program that citizens can also join if they declare bankruptcy etc. (like going on welfare), the program gives them access to a free financial advisor/accountant who monitors your accounts and has a certain level of control over what you are using your money for. You are given government housing (some of them are rather nice newly built appartments), a job, a way to get there (for them its just thier efficient public transit system). All criminals released wear ankle braceletts durring a certain period, but thier finances will allways be monitored.

Im not suggesting exactly replicating singapore's system, but it is interesting how they handle the reabsorbtion of citizens back into the work place in the worst of situations.
OHL

Post by OHL »

Long, long overdue. I for one will try to convince our Complacent Politicians to get on with the job. C'mon, you Hardworking Canadian Taxpayers, join the club!
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

I'm curious, what makes one think they know better than the judges? Does one go into the doctors office and tell him he doesn't know what he's doing?

Rope and bullets may be cheap but the process is 2-6 times more money to execute than life in prison. Not only that it creates more violnce, a criminal facing the death sentence has nothing to lose. They will be backed into a corner.
Have a look at the states that have compared to those that don't, it's frightening
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Post by BVulgaris »

my only comment is that I have told a doctor he didnt know what he was doing and I did get a second opinion that corrected it (did this at the advice of my sister who was in her 3rd year of medical school). Anyone can be wrong.

I also know some one who was given iron supplements for iron deficiency and wasnt given the test to see how her body was absorbing the iron. She got a second opinion and the very simple test was done (a test which is not unheard of being done even at the beginning of iron deficiency treatment).

So not offense, but the analogy does not work. Or rather, it works in a way to suggest that we do have to ask questions and engage in the debate regardless of the profession. Getting a second opinion is not a crime, nor is it irrational. It only becomes irrational when you are fitting the data.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Unlike doctors, however, Judges need to provide a Reason for Decision for every decision they make. If defence or Crown hear something in that reason they question they can take the desicion to a Higher Court. I'm sure there is some way to access these Reason for Decisions on-line. It would be enlightening for some posters here and probably help provide more intelligent commentary on the issues.

Don't confuse my comments with a perception I believe our Judges are infallable. Far from it. Not only are they human, but they are also limited by procedural law and precedent. I think our system needs some tweaking, but I would would want to introduce change based on evidence from research - not emotion and lust for revenge. We can see how well that works in reducing violent crime and recidivism in countries that employ that approach (sarcasm off).
Last edited by steven lloyd on Mar 28th, 2010, 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Canada”