Aboriginals in desperate fight to save university

User avatar
Born_again
Guru
Posts: 5352
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 2:21 am

Aboriginals in desperate fight to save university

Post by Born_again »

By: CTV.ca News Staff

Date: Thursday Mar. 11, 2010 6:45 AM PT

Students and staff from Canada's only Aboriginal university are pleading with the federal government to restore funding, saying the school will run out of money by the end of the month if something doesn't change.

In February, Ottawa announced it would not renew about $7 million in funding to the First Nations University of Canada because of governance and finance concerns at the Regina-based institution. The Saskatchewan government had cut $5.2 million in funding the previous week.

On Wednesday, the Saskatchewan Chiefs agreed to change the management structure of the school so that funding will now be administered through the University of Regina.

Professor Randy Lundy, the chair of the First Nations University of Canada Academic Council and Diane Adams, president of the First Nations University Students Association are in Ottawa Thursday to meet with Indian Affairs Minister Chuck Strahl and make their case.

"What the governments are asking for the five years is accountability and transparency in our finances, and the shared management model really offers these things," Adams told CTV's Canada AM.

"We are just hoping that they are going to honour the fact that we have done our part and keep funding us so we can stay open. This university is too important to lose right now."

Part of the government's financing concerns came after it was discovered a $400,000 scholarship fund was being used inappropriately and much of the money could not be accounted for.

"What happened with the scholarship fund was part of the previous administration who will be replaced." Lundy said.

The Saskatchewan Chiefs have already placed senior administration officials on suspended leave.

The First Nations University of Canada is the only Aboriginal-based, focused and staffed university in Canada. Its main campus is in Regina, with satellites in Saskatoon and Prince Albert.
Image


Whilst I feel some pity for the students that are adversely effected by the greed of some of their elders, I hope that they will come to realise that there are repercussions if benevolence is abused.
Image
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 869
Joined: Dec 20th, 2009, 9:45 pm

Re: Aboriginals in desperate fight to save university

Post by animal lover1 »

Nope-this will be a FN vs non-native issue in no time. Mark my words, this will become a hotbutton bigotry and discrimination story within days.
Liberty and Truth

Re: Aboriginals in desperate fight to save university

Post by Liberty and Truth »

animal lover1 wrote:Nope-this will be a FN vs non-native issue in no time. Mark my words, this will become a hotbutton bigotry and discrimination story within days.


I'm afraid you are right - the $400K that was stolen will be brushed aside and this will be all about bigotry etc. Really sad.
User avatar
Born_again
Guru
Posts: 5352
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 2:21 am

Re: Aboriginals in desperate fight to save university

Post by Born_again »

Image
bcbudrockz69
Übergod
Posts: 1445
Joined: Feb 26th, 2009, 10:57 am

Re: Aboriginals in desperate fight to save university

Post by bcbudrockz69 »

what a joke, you fools are concerned about this yet when sidetalkin cretein was handing millions to quebec and got away with it where were you, when our tax money is funding a corrupt police force where are you? when the bc libs are scamming you everyday where are you?

its seems to me that some ppl like to hide behind bigotry and cry foul its tax money, when in reality it is why educate them wagon burners .

i say fund that university because a mind is a terrible thing to waste
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11728
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 10:49 am

Re: Aboriginals in desperate fight to save university

Post by Rwede »

bcbudrockz69 wrote:what a joke, you fools are concerned about this yet when sidetalkin cretein was handing millions to quebec and got away with it where were you, when our tax money is funding a corrupt police force where are you? when the bc libs are scamming you everyday where are you?

its seems to me that some ppl like to hide behind bigotry and cry foul its tax money, when in reality it is why educate them wagon burners .

i say fund that university because a mind is a terrible thing to waste


Two wrongs don't make a right. I dislike the fact that the federal Liberals (whom you want to replace the federal Conservatives) lined the pockets of their Quebec buddies. I dislike the fact that the federal Liberals (whom you want to replace the federal Conservatives) started this corrupt university funding scheme to line the pockets of their Indian chief buddies. It's all bad. It's all Liberal. At least the Conservatives have the ba!!s to put an end to it.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
bcbudrockz69
Übergod
Posts: 1445
Joined: Feb 26th, 2009, 10:57 am

Re: Aboriginals in desperate fight to save university

Post by bcbudrockz69 »

RichardWede wrote:
bcbudrockz69 wrote:what a joke, you fools are concerned about this yet when sidetalkin cretein was handing millions to quebec and got away with it where were you, when our tax money is funding a corrupt police force where are you? when the bc libs are scamming you everyday where are you?

its seems to me that some ppl like to hide behind bigotry and cry foul its tax money, when in reality it is why educate them wagon burners .

i say fund that university because a mind is a terrible thing to waste


Two wrongs don't make a right. I dislike the fact that the federal Liberals (whom you want to replace the federal Conservatives) lined the pockets of their Quebec buddies. I dislike the fact that the federal Liberals (whom you want to replace the federal Conservatives) started this corrupt university funding scheme to line the pockets of their Indian chief buddies. It's all bad. It's all Liberal. At least the Conservatives have the ba!!s to put an end to it.

trust me richard i was not happy with sidetalking cretien doing the sponsership scam , infact it was disgusting, but the university does serve a good purpose and a important one, get rid of the clowns and its no different from ubc.

and tes i want a change at the federal level because i believe harper is a bush wanna be and we all know how bush handeled the american moneies
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11728
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 10:49 am

Re: Aboriginals in desperate fight to save university

Post by Rwede »

bcbudrockz69 wrote:
RichardWede wrote:
bcbudrockz69 wrote:what a joke, you fools are concerned about this yet when sidetalkin cretein was handing millions to quebec and got away with it where were you, when our tax money is funding a corrupt police force where are you? when the bc libs are scamming you everyday where are you?

its seems to me that some ppl like to hide behind bigotry and cry foul its tax money, when in reality it is why educate them wagon burners .

i say fund that university because a mind is a terrible thing to waste


Two wrongs don't make a right. I dislike the fact that the federal Liberals (whom you want to replace the federal Conservatives) lined the pockets of their Quebec buddies. I dislike the fact that the federal Liberals (whom you want to replace the federal Conservatives) started this corrupt university funding scheme to line the pockets of their Indian chief buddies. It's all bad. It's all Liberal. At least the Conservatives have the ba!!s to put an end to it.

trust me richard i was not happy with sidetalking cretien doing the sponsership scam , infact it was disgusting, but the university does serve a good purpose and a important one, get rid of the clowns and its no different from ubc.

and tes i want a change at the federal level because i believe harper is a bush wanna be and we all know how bush handeled the american moneies


Harper's done absolutely nothing that would suggest what you are implying. You've been duped by Liberal propoganda. It's too bad when we finally get a guy in office that subscribes to a common sense approach to governing the country that the crooked mofos who lost out to him are able to slander him at our expense.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
bcbudrockz69
Übergod
Posts: 1445
Joined: Feb 26th, 2009, 10:57 am

Re: Aboriginals in desperate fight to save university

Post by bcbudrockz69 »

RichardWede wrote:
bcbudrockz69 wrote:
RichardWede wrote:
bcbudrockz69 wrote:what a joke, you fools are concerned about this yet when sidetalkin cretein was handing millions to quebec and got away with it where were you, when our tax money is funding a corrupt police force where are you? when the bc libs are scamming you everyday where are you?

its seems to me that some ppl like to hide behind bigotry and cry foul its tax money, when in reality it is why educate them wagon burners .

i say fund that university because a mind is a terrible thing to waste


Two wrongs don't make a right. I dislike the fact that the federal Liberals (whom you want to replace the federal Conservatives) lined the pockets of their Quebec buddies. I dislike the fact that the federal Liberals (whom you want to replace the federal Conservatives) started this corrupt university funding scheme to line the pockets of their Indian chief buddies. It's all bad. It's all Liberal. At least the Conservatives have the ba!!s to put an end to it.

trust me richard i was not happy with sidetalking cretien doing the sponsership scam , infact it was disgusting, but the university does serve a good purpose and a important one, get rid of the clowns and its no different from ubc.

and tes i want a change at the federal level because i believe harper is a bush wanna be and we all know how bush handeled the american moneies


Harper's done absolutely nothing that would suggest what you are implying. You've been duped by Liberal propoganda. It's too bad when we finally get a guy in office that subscribes to a common sense approach to governing the country that the crooked mofos who lost out to him are able to slander him at our expense.

i dnt listen to anyone i make my own opinions and i say harpers got to go
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2460
Joined: Apr 27th, 2008, 11:11 am

Re: Aboriginals in desperate fight to save university

Post by cutter7 »

Yep Harper's got to go
Liberty and Truth

Re: Aboriginals in desperate fight to save university

Post by Liberty and Truth »

cutter7 wrote:Yep Harper's got to go


and be replaced by who? This is the same argument with the Campbell's got to go crowd - who then takes his place? Carol James? Only the true kool-aid drinking NDP lovers want to inflict that pestilence on us. Same goes federally - I could get behind Iggy, but I need to see some real leadership, and some real issues that he wants to stand on that people can get behind (as well as his own party). As for Layton, well that's not even open for discussion.
bcbudrockz69
Übergod
Posts: 1445
Joined: Feb 26th, 2009, 10:57 am

Re: Aboriginals in desperate fight to save university

Post by bcbudrockz69 »

Liberty and Truth wrote:
cutter7 wrote:Yep Harper's got to go


and be replaced by who? This is the same argument with the Campbell's got to go crowd - who then takes his place? Carol James? Only the true kool-aid drinking NDP lovers want to inflict that pestilence on us. Same goes federally - I could get behind Iggy, but I need to see some real leadership, and some real issues that he wants to stand on that people can get behind (as well as his own party). As for Layton, well that's not even open for discussion.

dnt matter who, anyone but harper or gordo,, if the lieing and decieving isnt enough then what is? why would any person want to keep complete idiots as leaders ?
Liberty and Truth

Re: Aboriginals in desperate fight to save university

Post by Liberty and Truth »

bcbudrockz69 wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote:
cutter7 wrote:Yep Harper's got to go


and be replaced by who? This is the same argument with the Campbell's got to go crowd - who then takes his place? Carol James? Only the true kool-aid drinking NDP lovers want to inflict that pestilence on us. Same goes federally - I could get behind Iggy, but I need to see some real leadership, and some real issues that he wants to stand on that people can get behind (as well as his own party). As for Layton, well that's not even open for discussion.

dnt matter who, anyone but harper or gordo,, if the lieing and decieving isnt enough then what is? why would any person want to keep complete idiots as leaders ?


there is no point replacing complete idiots with other complete idiots.

Return to “Canada”