What will you buy?

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: What will you buy?

Post by Captain Awesome »

I heard Vegas is good for that.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

Al Czervic wrote:I recently bought a vacation property down south where I plan on spending more time in the winter months. Real Estate is still hugely depressed down there and with our exchange rate there are some incredible deals to be had down there.

I was contemplating doing that as well. how do canadians get to stay down there, for 3 and 4 months or longer, legally speaking, I mean? what sort of immigration process is involved, if any? what about medical? buy american medical insurance? do they even cover canadians who live down there for an extended time period?

just curious....
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Liberty and Truth wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:I recently bought a vacation property down south where I plan on spending more time in the winter months. Real Estate is still hugely depressed down there and with our exchange rate there are some incredible deals to be had down there.

The place I just purchased would easily cost 2x – 3x just to rebuild alone not including the land costs. Plus I will be right on the Golf Course. This is my way of avoiding the HST – haha ! It is so unfair.

Where did you buy? Almost everyone I know who is buying in the US is buying in Arizona. Seems to be the place where there was the most overbuilding.

I hate to be like “everyone” else but I also bought in Arizona. People just want out. My offer was countered twice and I didn’t raise it once…ended up getting the place for what I first offered from the get go.
Back with a vengeance
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Logitack wrote:

I was contemplating doing that as well. how do canadians get to stay down there, for 3 and 4 months or longer, legally speaking, I mean? what sort of immigration process is involved, if any? what about medical? buy american medical insurance? do they even cover canadians who live down there for an extended time period?

just curious....

There is a time limit for how long you can stay down there or you could be subject to American taxation, I was told 6 months. I don’t plan on being down there anywhere near that amount. And if you were no doubt at some point you could potentially run into immigration issues as well. Medical there are many options (private) but be advised that you will not be covered for any pre-existing medical conditions. There also issues with ICBC (if you are taking a car down there) and there are also State property regulations you should be familiar with. In my case I was more comfortable owing property in AZ instead of CA (where I also looked) although AZ does have a non residents tax they will ding you with when it comes time to sell.

There are tons of open houses right now and many hungry sellers. Also the exchange rate is excellent…if you have a broker you can get a much better rate on exchange than you get from the bank.
Back with a vengeance
hutton
Fledgling

Post by hutton »

Logitack wrote:

just curious....

I believe that a canadian can stay up to a max of 6months total in a year.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Post by Lady tehMa »

StraitTalk wrote:For those who don't mind sharing. What will you buy from across the border now that the loonie is so high?

Why do we have to buy anything? Isn't that what got some people in trouble in the first place?

The consumer-driven mindset bothers me, I guess. :9923:
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I'm buying Euros and US dollars.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Lady tehMa wrote:
StraitTalk wrote:For those who don't mind sharing. What will you buy from across the border now that the loonie is so high?

Why do we have to buy anything? Isn't that what got some people in trouble in the first place?

The consumer-driven mindset bothers me, I guess. :9923:

I guess I should have specified that. Seems it caught on anyways.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

If I lived closer to the border, I would buy butter, eggs, cheese and milk. They are much cheaper down there (no marketing boards). Maybe smokes, too, but they'd nail me bigtime at the border for duty on those, so probably not.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Gigamortis
Fledgling

Post by Gigamortis »

I've got a pair of work shoes, couple of ties and a few dress shirts coming this week. I'm also looking at ordering a new camera. Bike parts are also a lot cheaper in the states but I don't really need anything right now.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity" -Edgar Allen Poe
Gigamortis
Fledgling

Post by Gigamortis »

The place I just purchased would easily cost 2x – 3x just to rebuild alone not including the land costs. Plus I will be right on the Golf Course. This is my way of avoiding the HST – haha ! It is so unfair.

I was just looking at some places in Phoenix that are going for around 75K-125K, some are just as nice as some of the 600k houses up here.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity" -Edgar Allen Poe
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

^ Hahaha.... That's sad.

Return to “Canada”