Intoxicated Police and the Law

Static
Guru

Intoxicated Police and the Law

Post by Static »

Should intoxicated off-duty policepersons be able to uphold the law?
Last edited by Static on Apr 13th, 2010, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Intoxicated Police and the Law

Post by MAPearce »

NO
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

MAPearce wrote:NO

ditto. It's a no brainer unless someone can explain why the question was even asked in the first place.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

LOL - I am still trying to figure out what the question was :D

Did the OP mean ... should an off-duty police officer be held accountable for his/her actions if intoxicated?

Then I would answer YES. They should be treated the same as any other citizen and all laws pertain to them as well.

Did the OP mean ... should an intoxicated off-duty officer have the same responsibilities and be able to perform the terms of his on-duty person?

Then I would answer NO. An intoxicated person is not capable of making sound judgment decisions. He/she should take a cab home and sleep it off.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

grammafreddy wrote:LOL - I am still trying to figure out what the question was :D

Did the OP mean ... should an off-duty police officer be held accountable for his/her actions if intoxicated?

Then I would answer YES. They should be treated the same as any other citizen and all laws pertain to them as well.

Did the OP mean ... should an intoxicated off-duty officer have the same responsibilities and be able to perform the terms of his on-duty person?

Then I would answer NO. An intoxicated person is not capable of making sound judgment decisions. He/she should take a cab home and sleep it off.

What is OP?

My question was related to your second answer.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

technically I believe when someone is sworn in as a police officer they are to withhold the law and be law-abiding at all times..............
So this little loophole they try to use then they were off-duty when they were drunk driving or committing other crimes doesn't really hold water........... :dyinglaughing:

If an obviously intoxicated impaired off-duty officer tries to make an arrest I believe a good lawyer could just say that his judgment was obviously flawed due to alcohol in the charges should be thrown out..........and you may have a recourse to sue them personally

I do believe they are sworn 24 hours a day to abide by and withhold the law......drunk or not :200:
Last edited by grumpydigger on Apr 12th, 2010, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Static wrote:
What is OP?

Sorry ... OP means either Original Post or Original Poster (that's you in this case). It means the person who started the thread or the first post in the thread.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Post by quietlywatching84 »

You all know there is one d-bag who would royally screw this up if we ever gave it a chance.

I don't use the adjective "royally" lightly.
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

grumpydigger wrote: I do believe they are sworn 24 hours a day to abide by and withhold the law......drunk or not :200:

Would their judgement to withhold the law be impaired while under the influence?
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

Static wrote:
grumpydigger wrote: I do believe they are sworn 24 hours a day to abide by and withhold the law......drunk or not :200:

Would their judgment to withhold the law be impaired while under the influence?
You would think so . But they seem to operate under different rules :dyinglaughing:
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Would their judgement to withhold the law be impaired while under the influence?

YES. I would consider an off duty officer's judgement would be impaired just as a civilian's would be under the influence.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

grumpydigger wrote:technically I believe when someone is sworn in as a police officer they are to withhold the law and be law-abiding at all times..............
So this little loophole they try to use then they were off-duty when they were drunk driving or committing other crimes doesn't really hold water........... :dyinglaughing:

If an obviously intoxicated impaired off-duty officer tries to make an arrest I believe a good lawyer could just say that his judgment was obviously flawed due to alcohol in the charges should be thrown out..........and you may have a recourse to sue them personally

I do believe they are sworn 24 hours a day to abide by and withhold the law......drunk or not :200:

Shouldn,t this say UPHOLD the law.
Black Dogs Matter
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

Static wrote:Should intoxicated off-duty policepersons be able to uphold the law while under the influence?

I'd say this is one big 'depends' question.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

nolanrh wrote:
Static wrote:Should intoxicated off-duty policepersons be able to uphold the law while under the influence?

In which way?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Static wrote:
nolanrh wrote:

In which way?

Was the off duty cop driving?? Was he/she obviously intoxicated?? Did he/she act in anyway that would be un ethical as per professional conduct standards?? Was he/she just being a prick??

Return to “Canada”