Senator Lavigne

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Senator Lavigne

Post by Urbane »

Senator Raymond Lavigne, a former Liberal MP from Quebec and a sitting member of the Senate, has been found guilty of fraud and breach of trust. I just read the National Post story on this case and here's the part I really liked:

If he is sentenced to more than two years, his seat would become vacant and senators would have to meet to formally kick him out, Tkachuk said.

So if he's only sentenced to two years in jail he can stay in the Senate but more than two years in jail he could be kicked out. Kicked right out just because he was found guilty of fraud and breach of trust and sentenced to more than two years in jail. A bit harsh, don't you think?
:dyinglaughing:

Full article for those interested:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Senato ... story.html
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: Senator Lavigne

Post by NAB »

Hasn't that guy been on the radar for some considerable time? If he is the one I am thinking of I am surprised he is till a senator drawing a paycheque for doing nothing. I wonder how many others over the years...

I guess I should read the article huh? ;-)

Edit: And did I understand correctly that Senators (or anyone else for that matter) can charge the taxpayers for work they get done on their private property? I though that sorta thing only happened in Britain.

Gawd.. typical modern "sense of entitlement" Federal Liberal style. As I said in another thread, we cannot afford any more Liberal style Governance..... particularly it would seem any that are rooted in Quebec.

No senator has ever been kicked out of the Senate because of a criminal conviction.

While he waited for the case to conclude, Lavigne continued to collect a $132,300 salary despite being barred from attending Senate proceedings and committee meetings. The Quebec senator recently came under attack for spending $315,355 in office and travel expenses on top of his paycheques since 2007

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Urbane wrote:Senator Raymond Lavigne, a former Liberal MP from Quebec and a sitting member of the Senate, has been found guilty of fraud and breach of trust. I just read the National Post story on this case and here's the part I really liked:

If he is sentenced to more than two years, his seat would become vacant and senators would have to meet to formally kick him out, Tkachuk said.

So if he's only sentenced to two years in jail he can stay in the Senate but more than two years in jail he could be kicked out. Kicked right out just because he was found guilty of fraud and breach of trust and sentenced to more than two years in jail. A bit harsh, don't you think?
:dyinglaughing:

Full article for those interested:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Senato ... story.html

Wonder why I despise politicians so much.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

If someone can go to jail for two years and still keep his Senate seat, including salary and benefits, then a guy like this who has been found guilty of fraud is committing fraud again! But apparently he has the law on his side. How can he do his Senate job while in jail? It doesn't say much for the senate if you can do the work from jail for two years, but (apparently) after two years the work piles up a bit and they need you there in the chamber.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I want to be a Senator.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

grammafreddy wrote:I want to be a Senator.
Me too! Where do we apply?
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Urbane wrote:
    grammafreddy wrote:I want to be a Senator.
Me too! Where do we apply?

Well, you 2 if you suck up to Stephen Harper real good you would have a chance. :dyinglaughing:

Hmm......... now was that suck or blow.......
albertabound
Board Meister

Post by albertabound »

Typical LIberal pig.

Return to “Canada”