Conservatives shipbuilding contract sailing into rough seas

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Conservatives shipbuilding contract sailing into rough s

Post by oneh2obabe »

flamingfingers wrote:I have just read the same news in Vancouver Sun and Vancouver Province about Halifax's winning bid. I would have been bitterly disappointed if this major award went to Quebec!!!

Quebec didn't stand a chance when they had to float a loan to keep the plant operating. Wonder when workers will be heading to the Maritimes looking for work.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

I guess I must have misunderstood the CBC report as they covered the announcement. Whew, what a relief LOL.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
JOF585
Übergod

Post by JOF585 »

The fact that Harper made the decision not to fund a new sports arena in the provincial capital is not the reason why Québec didn't vote Conservatives. Give me a break. Anybody outside of Québec City couldn't care less about an arena. Anybody in Québec City who is not into hockey couldn't care less about an arena. Also the fact that Lévis didn't get the shipbuilduing contract will not be the reason that Québec will not vote Conservatives. Conservatives are way too backwards in their thinking. Québec are way too avant-garde for Harper and the likes.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Lets try to keep the politics out of it. I am comfortable with the assurances that this decision was made strictly by the bureaucracy and political influence or interference played no role in it.

Here's what Seaspan has built (presumably in BC) for the federal government in the last decade according to their web site...

8 - 7.16 meter utility boats for the RCMP (2002)

24 - 14 meter lifeboats for the coastguard (2003/4/5)

7 - 33 meter patrol boats for the Cdn. Navy (2006/7/8)

4 - 14.5 meter lifeboats for the Coastguard (2010/11)

..For BC Ferries

The 95.72 meter Island Sky (2008)

...for the Provincial Government

A 33.54 meter transit ferry (2009)

...For commercial

17 barges in lengths ranging from about 59 to 80 meters, mostly for themselves it appears.

Nothing that I can see that particularly qualifies them for the building of the main combat vessels for the Navy or the new Icebreaker or science ships for the Coast Guard as primary contractor, but they certainly were the obvious choice out of the 3 bidders for at least the smaller stuff. Since the lesser of the two main contracts involves still some pretty heady equipment, including the new vessel "Diefenbaker", I think they did very well anyway.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I note that the NDP ship building critic said it was a great day for Halifax and a great day for all of Canada. Yes, he is an MP from Halifax, but it's good to see the NDP supporting this decision. I agree with Nab that the politics should be taken out of it and that helps when the Official Opposition is onside. It does seem as if the right choices were made, from the information that we've been given, and it's definitely time to rebuild our navy. So it is a good day for all of Canada.
maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

I predicted the outcome yesterday.
The CBC had an extensive news piece about the fanatastic things that would happen in Halifax if the contract went that way. There was only passing mention of BC and PQ......maybe they new something ahead of time.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Could be their reputation seeing that Irving Shipbuilding is the only Canadian shipyard to be featured in the global industry publication Maritime Reporter & Engineering News as one of two dozen leading shipbuilders around the world.

2nd article on page
http://www.irvingshipbuilding.com/irvin ... September6
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
TedD
Board Meister

Post by TedD »

Last time I looked on a map, isn't China and North Korea located on the other side of the Pacific, not the Atlantic? So... wouldn't the navy ships be better off being built in the west? Just in case?
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

I guess they were not " sailing into rough seas" after all, even though it appears the CBC would like it to be so LOL. Nova Scotia is happy, BC is happy, ...and with their new bridge (to the U$?), 2B$ HST bribe, Corruption Inquiry, and the potential for the small shipbuilding contract and spinoff technological work, Quebec seems relatively happy. Ontario seems happy too, so all is good! :sunshine:

Nab
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

NAB wrote:Nova Scotia is happy

I don't normally go on smilie overload but...

:discodance: :cheerleader: :banana: :123: \:D/ :thewave: :greenbanana: :smt041

~D
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Urbane wrote:I note that the NDP ship building critic said it was a great day for Halifax and a great day for all of Canada. Yes, he is an MP from Halifax, but it's good to see the NDP supporting this decision. I agree with Nab that the politics should be taken out of it and that helps when the Official Opposition is onside. It does seem as if the right choices were made, from the information that we've been given, and it's definitely time to rebuild our navy. So it is a good day for all of Canada.

The NDP care not one bit about the Canadian Navy and would cancel this program if they couldn't get the photo op for it.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

As an aside, here's some more grease for the wheels of the Canadian economy just announced...

OTTAWA — The federal government announced in Edmonton and London, Ont., Friday a $1.1 billion contract to General Dynamics Land Systems to upgrade 550 LAV III combat vehicles.

"The LAV III Upgrade Project Implementation Phase contract is expected to maintain up to 2,400 full-time positions in Edmonton and in London," stated a government release.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

BC will do good with this contract. Huge money rolling in.

I know some people in ship industry (design mostly), and they were celebrating yesterday.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

ya especially after all the money bombardier gets every year.

Return to “Canada”