RCMP officers to get new guns

Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Re: RCMP officers to get new guns

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

MAPearce wrote:
The new TOOLS will not be handed out like candy, they will be delivered on a risk assessment basis

I would feel much safer if it were in the hands of the the cop who loathed the thought of having to using it rather than the cop who thought "COOL , new toys"....

Care to share just how risk assessment is done ??

I agee, there is no place for a "COOL, new toys"...attitude. TOOLS such as these should never be considered as such. They are tools that are supplied to police officers to aid them when performing their jobs, same as any other TOOL on their belt.
As far as the risk assessment goes, I do not know how it is being done. I too am curious as to what will be considered when making the assessment. I only know what the initial media report (in the original post) says. It quotes that these new TOOLS will be distributed via a risk assessment.
TM
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Considering the "Grand thing" this summer , I 'd think that Kelowna would have a higher than normal rating , for lack of a better word , and would probably get more than a couple....

Any chance the public could try them at the annual Jug shoot ???
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

MAPearce wrote:Considering the "Grand thing" this summer , I 'd think that Kelowna would have a higher than normal rating , for lack of a better word , and would probably get more than a couple....

Like I said I have no idea what the powers that be will take into consideration when making that risk assessment, but who knows...
As far as letting the general public giving them a try...I wouldnt hold my breath... :sillygrin:
TM
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Trunk-Monkey wrote:
MAPearce wrote:Considering the "Grand thing" this summer , I 'd think that Kelowna would have a higher than normal rating , for lack of a better word , and would probably get more than a couple....

Like I said I have no idea what the powers that be will take into consideration when making that risk assessment, but who knows...
As far as letting the general public giving them a try...I wouldnt hold my breath... :sillygrin:
TM

Rats....Love that jug shoot. Something new would be ok to try AND it might be a way to gather a bit of support :127:
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

MAPearce wrote:Any chance the public could try them at the annual Jug shoot ???

I believe you can even buy them if you have a Restricted license. They'd have low magazine capacity though (4 rounds).
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Captain Awesome wrote:
MAPearce wrote:Any chance the public could try them at the annual Jug shoot ???

I believe you can even buy them if you have a Restricted license. They'd have low magazine capacity though (4 rounds).

meh... I'd rather just rent it...
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

'Didn't you say to the RCMP at the scene of the accident, 'I'm fine?'
A back east farmer named Angus had a car accident. He was hit by a truck owned by the Eversweet Company.

In court, the Eversweet Company's hot-shot solicitor was questioning Angus.

'Didn't you say to the RCMP at the scene of the accident, 'I'm fine?' asked the solicitor.
Angus responded: 'Well, I'll tell you what happened. I'd just loaded my fav'rit cow, Bessie, into da... '

'I didn't ask for anymore details', the solicitor interrupted. 'Just answer the question please. Did you not say, at the scene of the accident, 'I'm fine!'?'

Angus said, 'Well, I'd just got Bessie into da trailer, and I was drivin' down da road.... '

The solicitor interrupted again and said,'Your Honour, I am trying to establish the fact that, at the scene of the accident, this man told the police on the scene that he was fine, he was in fact Ok. Now several weeks after the accident, he is trying to sue my client. I believe he is a fraud. Please tell him to simply answer the question. '

By this time, the Judge was fairly interested in Angus' answer and said to the solicitor: 'I'd like to hear what he has to say about his favourite cow, Bessie'.

Angus thanked the Judge and proceeded. 'Well as I was saying, I had just loaded Bessie, my fav'rit cow, into de trailer and was drivin' her down de road when this huge Eversweet truck and trailer came tundering tru a stop sign, and hit me trailer right in da side. I was trown into one ditch and Bessie was trown into da udder. By Jaysus I was hurt, very bad like, and didn't want to move. However, I could hear old Bessie moanin' and groanin'. I knew she was in terrible pain just by her groans.

Shortly after da accident, a policeman on a motorbike turned up. He could hear Bessie moanin' and groanin' too, so he went over to her. After he looked at her, and saw her condition, he took out his pistol and shot her right between the eyes.

Den da RCMP officer came across de road, gun still in his hand, looked at me, and said, 'How are you feelin'?'

'Now in all honesty, wot da hell would you say?'
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

It said on the radio today that the recommendations for these rifles came forth After the marathorpe incident in Alberta...

The death of those four officers lands squarely in the hands Of incompetent RCMP management......Something the RCMP or their cheerleaders will never admit to..........

But they politically used it, To put automatic weapons in the hands Of their poorly trained Members....

The automatic weapons Will be given out Sometime in November 2011.........Training for the weapons Will not start Until the summer of 2012 :eyeballspin: ................... something sadly funny about that
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Homicides are down, violent gang activity is down - so why do they need this firepower now?
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

normaM wrote:Homicides are down, violent gang activity is down - so why do they need this firepower now?
Is this across Canada? Some areas do not have much in the way of firepower. Doomsayers will always anticipate the worst but the weapons add to not replace what is already in use.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

grumpydigger wrote:It said on the radio today that the recommendations for these rifles came forth After the marathorpe incident in Alberta...

...and if you scroll back in the thread, our own local police poster said that Mayerthorpe was a "red herring" and that it wouldn't have made a difference whether or not they had assault rifles, considering the police were killed with *gasp* long guns.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Bagotricks wrote:
grumpydigger wrote:It said on the radio today that the recommendations for these rifles came forth After the marathorpe incident in Alberta...

...and if you scroll back in the thread, our own local police poster said that Mayerthorpe was a "red herring" and that it wouldn't have made a difference whether or not they had assault rifles, considering the police were killed with *gasp* long guns.

That's right and I still say that. That is MY opinion. Going to the C8 has been in the works since before the inquest from where that recommendation came. If those members had C8's they still would have been killed.

Now if those two cowards who are sitting in jail for manslaughter now would have made one simple anonymous phone call to the police about Rosko being dropped off with a gun they would still be alive.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

The death of those four officers lands squarely in the hands Of incompetent RCMP management......Something the RCMP or their cheerleaders will never admit to..........

But they politically used it, To put automatic weapons in the hands Of their poorly trained Members....

The automatic weapons Will be given out Sometime in November 2011.........Training for the weapons Will not start Until the summer of 2012 :eyeballspin: ................... something sadly funny about that

No there is something logistical about that. They are going to be distributed starting in November because it is going to take months to get them to all of the far corners of the country that they have to go to. Then they are then going to sit in the detachment lockers until the members are trained to use them and the cars are equipped to store them. But when the training is done the members will be able to carry them immediately.

Once again though you are calling it an automatic weapon in an attempt to add emphasis to your opinion. It isn't an automatic. It's a semi-automatic. What part of that are you not absorbing?
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

trying this again - so if homicides are down and violent gang activity is down why the guns now?
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

KL3-Something wrote:
Bagotricks wrote:
Now if those two cowards who are sitting in jail for manslaughter now would have made one simple anonymous phone call to the police about Rosko being dropped off with a gun they would still be alive.

Not bringing up old dirt, but Rosko was well known to be crazy, violent and dangerous in the community and those two guys feared for their lives and were basically blackmailed into helping that guy out - under threat of death ect. They didnt "call the cops" because Rosko would have killed them if he found out - they were under extreme duress. I think its tragic what happened but "those two cowards" are just the poor suckers that got the brunt end of the stick. Worse tragedy in Canadian history - someone was going to "hang" for it and since the perp was dead....those guys went to jail.

Also, that Rosko guy ambushed the cops. Even if they knew the guy had guns ( violent history, community profile said he would probably be armed even though he was prohibited ) there is a good chance the police still would have been killed because that guy was crazy and very motivated to cause harm to those police officers. The guy had sniper nests set up and had pulled socks over his shoes to prevent foorprint tracking.

Of course the courts have said otherwise, but this tragedy was as political as it was horrible. Infact they dropped the Mayerthorpe bomb to justify these new guns - when the guns wouldn't have made a difference and they were looking at getting the new guns BEFORE this even happened. That's a pretty cheesey thing to do in the name of this tragedy.

Return to “Canada”