Pastor in Tim Hortons lesbian row fears for safety

French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Pastor in Tim Hortons lesbian row fears for safety

Post by French Castanut »

Story CBC - Radio-Canada:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/s ... bians.html

What happined? Last week, a lesbian couple were cuddling outside a Tim Horton's restaurant in Ontario. Then, they were kicked out of the outside of the restaurant, because they suppositely bugged the customers that could see them through the window. After they left, the pastor held a praying circle in the parking lot against the homosexuals. Tim Horton later apologize about what happined.

But the priest now claims that he thaught it was a heterosexual couple, and he prayed because they were kissing strongly. And he now fears for his safety, because bunch of people are now protesting in that lovely town. I guess that to held a praying circle, you have to have people to fill that circle as well.

DONUT discuss Tim Horton in here.

What I want to discuss about, it's that priest, the customer's reactions and that couple behaviors.

Do you believe him? What do you think of that couple behaviors? And the customers ones?

Are we in 2011 or in the 1960's?

IMO, even a child woulnd't believe the bleep this priest is barfing right now. I'm not a pro-over-demonstrating-sexual-behavior-in-public either, the couple being what ever orientation he wants to be.. but common.. I guess he's never been to Montreal or Toronto. He'd be dead of a heart attack by now.

Please discuss respectfully :-)
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Pastor in Tim Hortons lesbian row fears for safety

Post by Merry »

There was fault on all sides here.

First, it's not appropriate for couples (regardless of sexual orientation) to be cuddling in broad daylight right outside the windows of a family restaurant.
Second, while I can understand the pastor being upset by it, calling a prayer circle is a huge over reaction (regardless of the couple's sexual orientation)
Third, people getting so upset about a minor altercation such as this that they would travel to the town and try to cause trouble for the pastor involved is another huge over reaction. These people need to "get a life" and focus on the bigger, more important issues that face society today. Harassing this pastor, even if he's lying about whether or not he knew this couple was homosexual, is NOT going to solve anything. Education, not fear, is a much better way to deal with bigots.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
mammamoon
Fledgling

Post by mammamoon »

I wont discuss this because its all hearsay, but I will say that regardless of your sexual orientation, there is no need to be over suggestive or sexual in public. I hope this situation resolves itself peacefully.
Driscoll

Post by Driscoll »

My understanding was that the couple was with their family at the Tim Hortons. Although this is just speculation, I really doubt that they would have been full on making out if they were with their family. A peck on the cheek or lips would be much easier to understand happening.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

BLENHEIM, ONT.—Dozens of people are planning to protest outside a Tim Hortons in Blenheim on Thursday after a same-sex couple says they were told to leave the coffee shop because they were lesbians.

A spokeswoman for Tim Hortons says the couple was asked to leave after they “went beyond public displays of affection” while visiting the outlet three weeks ago.

While the chain is apologizing to Riley Duckworth, 25, of London, and her partner Patricia Pattenden, 23, for what it calls a misunderstanding, Duckworth says she is not satisfied.

Duckworth says she and her partner Patricia Pattenden, 23, were outside drinking coffee with a group of family and friends and saw a man watching them from inside the restaurant.

She says soon after, the man went up to the counter, and a few minutes later the assistant manager came out and asked the couple to stop doing what they were doing and leave.

Duckworth says her partner had her hand around her waist, and had kissed her on the cheek once or twice but she denies they were groping each other.

Original article dated October 24th, 2011
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... -affection

Newer articles say the complaint was filed by the pastor of 'Glad Tidings Church', a fundamentalist cult that stages prayer circles like it’s the 17th century. It's all part of the ongoing right wing religious culture wars brought to Canada.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

he made an interesting point about how he was not happy that the displays of affection gay or otherwise were not appropriate for his children. and he stood up for that. the fact that the common denominator was a lesbian couple is an opportunity for grandstanding and over reaction from the gay and lesbian community. and then in the smokescreen we lose the plot as usual. its par for the course really.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

sooperphreek wrote:he made an interesting point about how he was not happy that the displays of affection gay or otherwise were not appropriate for his children. and he stood up for that. the fact that the common denominator was a lesbian couple is an opportunity for grandstanding and over reaction from the gay and lesbian community. and then in the smokescreen we lose the plot as usual. its par for the course really.

UnFreaking Believable!!
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

They were probably doing something overly sexual that bothered people. I don't like to watch ANYONE making out while I eat, regardless of their orientation.

This is more than likely just another example of "Oh blame the world because they hate gays." They could come into the store and order food, they could hold hands and be affectionate. That wouldn't have bothered anyone. I'd bet dollars to donuts that they crossed a line that most feel is acceptable behavior in an eating establishment.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

one thing that has been bothering me about this whole thing, the media doesn't seem to be able to find anyone else that was there to interview. i'm sure the place wasn't empty. so it's their word against his. no one else was there?
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

ferri wrote: so it's their word against his. no one else was there?

May be no one cares, and they're the only ones who make a stink over nothing.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Captain Awesome wrote:
ferri wrote: so it's their word against his. no one else was there?

May be no one cares, and they're the only ones who make a stink over nothing.

see that's my point. if it was nothing and you were there, wouldn't you be yelling your head off? and if it was something wouldn't you be doing the same? i just find it odd that no one else that was there have been asked about it.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Maybe they paid the witnesses off with coffee and timbits....
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

As usual the truth is likely somewhere in the middle.

The Pastor didn't know they were a gay couple,,,, so he held a prayer circle for a hetro couple (not knowing they were a gay couple) who he had kicked from a donut shop for inappropriate behavior ????

The manger of the Tim Hortons didn't first just ask them to curb their behavior ?? Kinda drastic to kick a customer from your store without a warning ???

Special kudos to homophobe letter writer in the Penticton Herald in today's edition. I'm sure you'll be praying for them Sunday.

I'm with the majority here, there is a time and a place and this wasn't it. I don't care if it was what the sexual orientation was.

Kicking them off the premises ? There's more to the story the manager and the pastor are telling.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

we should have bylaws against cuddling

:127:
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Canada”