They fought for our freedom

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: They fought for our freedom

Post by Queen K »

Thank you so much for those GB!
The heart wrenching captions you've added may have contributed to a few tears here too,
And right, no prisoners were taken.

My own grandfather was in DDay, he never talked about it.
Just near drank himself to death. No services were offered back then. :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Thanks QK!

One thing else I wanted to add - there were Canadian flags everywhere. The French have not forgotten the sacrifice Canada made, and are extremely grateful.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Nice pics GB :up:
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Thanks QK!

One thing else I wanted to add - there were Canadian flags everywhere. The French have not forgotten the sacrifice Canada made, and are extremely grateful.

My uncle fought in Belgium and France, he somehow lived. My dad managed not to get killed serving three years in Italy, however he spent the rest of his life self medicating.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Ka-El wrote:Nice pics GB :up:

Thanks man. I know that you served and I thank you for that. Deeply. :up:
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Queen K wrote:Just near drank himself to death. No services were offered back then. :135:

when I was at the US cemetery I ended up talking to a veteran. He served in the Vietnam War. I was shocked to hear about the suicide rates of veterans back in the those days. A lot did drink themselves to death. There was no help, and no understanding of the trauma these guys would have experienced. Really sad.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

In case anyone is interested...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Queen K wrote:Just near drank himself to death. No services were offered back then. :135:

when I was at the US cemetery I ended up talking to a veteran. He served in the Vietnam War. I was shocked to hear about the suicide rates of veterans back in the those days. A lot did drink themselves to death. There was no help, and no understanding of the trauma these guys would have experienced. Really sad.

Yes, and sadder still, the alcoholism ran in the families right down the line. And often.
I had a neighbour who was in the military, she said the suicide rates of Afghan vets is so high they are not surprises anymore. That was years ago. Sad sad and still sad.

And I'm not surprised you would "end up talking" to a person nearby and find out he's a veteran. You seem open that way.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Some people know this, but when I visit cemeteries in small towns, out of the way places, I photograph many an unusual headstone. But mostly, I seek out the soldiers, the veterans who are there, acknowledged via their gravemarker for their service. Some are more decorated than others, by that I mean, it is obvious people visit. Some appear that the families are gone. There are facebook sites I post the photos on, to make people know about them. Or remember.

I have a few small cemeteries from the Cariboo area coming up. Tatla Lake especially. Veterans lie in peace there too.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

:up:
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
RandZsocial

Post by RandZsocial »

maryjane48 wrote: this is a picture of my moms dad before he headed into the pacific theatre. he was a pow in hongkong for 5 years before he came home to canada and proceded to try and join a normal life . but normal was never going to be a option .but my mom said he loved when me and my 2 younger brothers were able to visit .

anyone else want to share their stories feel free . any negative posts should be reported and deleted in this thread because it is to honour the fallen and the survivors thank you

Who can have a negative view of such issues, freedom is fully respected by whatever opinion it may be. I have no memory of the past that I can share, but every story has a respectable cause.
RandZsocial

Post by RandZsocial »

Who can have a negative view of such issues, freedom is fully respected by whatever opinion it may be. I have no memory of the past that I can share, but every story has a respectable cause.
Scorp
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scorp »

Charles Norman Shay is a Penobscot tribal elder from the USA, but to me his values are the same as the members of Canada's Armed Forces.

"Focused on the meaning and values of the Allied landings, the Freedom Prize gives young people all over the world the opportunity to choose an exemplary person or organisation, committed to the fight for freedom. Just like those who risked their lives when they landed on the Normandy beaches on 6 June 1944."

http://www.alda-europe.eu/newSite/news_dett.php?id=2255
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Ka-El wrote:Nice pics GB :up:

Thanks man. I know that you served and I thank you for that. Deeply. :up:

You guys :-) Thanks for being there for us all so we can keep our freedom! (so I can disagree with some of you some times. lol)
Was so long ago. My Dad was actually born in Hong Kong where his french Mother met his English Dad during the war.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Canada”