Should WE build a wall?

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Should WE build a wall?

Post by Fancy »

Reuters reviewed a copy of the report, which estimated the cost of building fencing along the northern border fence would be $3.3 billion and cover 452 miles along border of Canada and the states of Washington, Idaho, Montana, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... -1.2932764
That's American - who knows what it would cost Canadians.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Illegal immigration powderkeg in Canada

Post by hobbyguy »

The mix of folks crossing the border is not, at this point, shown to be largely those illegally in the US. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-us-border-illegal-border-crossings-1.3995768

"While some of the migrants are leaving the U.S. because they are there illegally or are undocumented, many of the migrants Beuze spoke with had valid residency in the U.S., but wanted to come to Canada because it is "a more welcoming country."

I would not expect that mix to change a lot, because in order to stay in Canada, the people in question must demonstrate that they have genuine refugee status. Criminal history means not eligible.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

So basically there is no reason whatsoever we should consider these ppl refugees
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

It will be interesting how the refugee status thing plays out. I am not sure if a refugee that has been accepted as such in the US can indeed still be a refugee, as they have a safe resident country. Way more complicated than I can figure out.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

actualy its simple , canada has every right to ship american citizens back , but if not americans then we can decide what to do since its on our land they were found
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

People arrested for crossing the border illegally, who can be shown to have been granted some kind of legal resident status in the U.S. are NOT refugees, and therefore should be returned to the U.S. Immediately.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Merry wrote:People arrested for crossing the border illegally, who can be shown to have been granted some kind of legal resident status in the U.S. are NOT refugees, and therefore should be returned to the U.S. Immediately.
First it has to be proved, then it's more than possible the U.S. will deny entry back into their country.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I wonder what would happen if we got into situation like some European countries where there are literally thousands of refugees. Let's face it, we have a huge, unprotected border and in a very short time, thousands of people could simply walk across. Can you imagine the drain that would put on our economy? How do you train and find jobs for that many people so they're not sitting around on welfare for the rest of their lives?

I read an interesting article the other day about how many Somalis are involved in the drug trade in Alberta (and how many have been killed there). It's actually pretty scary. Can't really blame them though. When they arrive here without any education or job skills, how are they supposed to earn a decent living? Easy to get lured into the drug trade or a life of crime. I hope our government is going to be very careful about how they vet these people and they also need to be hardnosed at times. If someone has a criminal history, we need the intestinal fortitude to send them back where they came from (I doubt that they will though because Tru-doh doesn't want to look like the bad guy).
Last edited by techrtr on Mar 8th, 2017, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Merry wrote:People arrested for crossing the border illegally, who can be shown to have been granted some kind of legal resident status in the U.S. are NOT refugees, and therefore should be returned to the U.S. Immediately.

Well, if they don't want their country of origin, maybe we can make it another province of Canada and raise it above the current status of Shitehole.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thorny issues cropping up at the 49th parallel will be on the agenda Friday when new U.S. Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly visits Ottawa.

The office of Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says the discussions will focus on traveller screening, immigration policy and visa issues.

Canada is grappling with a recent surge of would-be refugees coming north through remote border points as well as fallout from a U.S. ban on travellers from several predominantly Muslim countries.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#190966
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

casey60 wrote:Yes our borders are wide open, as per Trudeau. Took me 3 years to get immigration papers. Should have been a refugee.

Exactly, my wife's mother had a super-visa (10 years) because she couldn't become a landed immigrant. Even that was costly. They were not accepting any more, sorry, the INN is full. Every year we had to purchase health insurance ($2500). I know for certain she wasn't a terrorist. Now she has passed away.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Chyren wrote:Ok so maybe the title is a bit misleading as the correct answer is NO but...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.3970089

The US always are complaining of people coming into their country yet, there's people entering Canada in Manitoba FROM the US.

Clearly this is a tough situation being as the people are often refugees but its funny how little we're hearing about it from a US perspective.

Americans are probably quite happy that a bunch of losers from Somalia who have been sitting around in Minnesota doing nothing but commit crimes are heading over into Canada.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

techrtr wrote:I wonder what would happen if we got into situation like some European countries where there are literally thousands of refugees. Let's face it, we have a huge, unprotected border and in a very short time, thousands of people could simply walk across. Can you imagine the drain that would put on our economy? How do you train and find jobs for that many people so they're not sitting around on welfare for the rest of their lives?

I read an interesting article the other day about how many Somalis are involved in the drug trade in Alberta (and how many have been killed there). It's actually pretty scary. Can't really blame them though. When they arrive here without any education or job skills, how are they supposed to earn a decent living? Easy to get lured into the drug trade or a life of crime. I hope our government is going to be very careful about how they vet these people and they also need to be hardnosed at times. If someone has a criminal history, we need the intestinal fortitude to send them back where they came from (I doubt that they will though because Tru-doh doesn't want to look like the bad guy).

Many Somalians in the drug trade in the lower mainland and Toronto also.
There was a Passionate Eye bit on them.
Last edited by fall on Mar 8th, 2017, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

more combat age illegals coming in people http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#190973
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Goodale announced $30,000 to cover extra costs borne by Emerson-Franklin's volunteer fire department and other agencies in the community so far, and said more will be available. The RCMP and the Canada Border Services Agency have shifted some resources in southern Manitoba so that more staff are in the Emerson area. The CBSA recently set up a trailer to help process the border-crossers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/03/04 ... 56172.html

Return to “Canada”