Post by alfred2 »

maryjane48 wrote:calling tom jackson an actor is the crime here

You think you can do better, not. :200: :biggrin:
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Parks Canada decision re Liam Neeson movie

Post by The Green Barbarian »

rustled wrote:Over-reach.

But because it's done in the name of political correctness, they'll get away with it. They're already too big for their britches. I'd like to see them put in their place before they get any bigger.

Yup. Perhaps we can elect Kevin O'Leary, and he can do to Parks Canada what Trump is doing to correct the vast over-reach of the EPA?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Movie + natives involved in organized crime = no decision can be made without SOMEONE being ticked-off.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

The Green Barbarian wrote:

But because it's done in the name of political correctness, they'll get away with it. They're already too big for their britches. I'd like to see them put in their place before they get any bigger.

Yup. Perhaps we can elect Kevin O'Leary, and he can do to Parks Canada what Trump is doing to correct the vast over-reach of the EPA?

I'd like to say "Surely it won't come to that" but...
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'll bite.

:135: Serious question: have you ever hiked any of the trails in Yoho? Banff? or Jasper National Parks? Glacier National Park?
Many American and European tourists tell me these three parks are last bastions of accessible wilderness they are able to readily experience in the World. Fly into Calgary, get their rental vehicle of choice and drive in. Sure there are other wilderness areas in the World, but simply not as accomodating or accessible.

Why would you advocate to destroy them? They are our future generations legacy, do you have a childern of your own? Would you want them to experience it?

The above is my original response. Then I got thinking hmmmmmmmmmmmm, The Green Barbarian wouldn't ... no. No he would not. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, take a second look. YES!

GB, did you deliberately plant a, god help me, a trolling post designed to make liberals and environmentalists alike absolutely scream in agony? :1422:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Queen K wrote:I'll bite.

:135: Serious question: have you ever hiked any of the trails in Yoho? Banff? or Jasper National Parks? Glacier National Park?
Many American and European tourists tell me these three parks are last bastions of accessible wilderness they are able to readily experience in the World. Fly into Calgary, get their rental vehicle of choice and drive in. Sure there are other wilderness areas in the World, but simply not as accomodating or accessible.

Why would you advocate to destroy them? They are our future generations legacy, do you have a childern of your own? Would you want them to experience it?...

It's interesting that you were able to see how over-reach of Parks Canada (making decisions for purely political reasons) could affect the Alberta economy without affording any real or practical protection for the environment in our parks.

Many of us can also see how over-reach of the EPA (making decisions for purely political reasons) can affect a state's economy without affording any real or practical protection for the environment.

No one here has objected to either party doing the job they are actually supposed to do: protect the environment.

Contrary to what you've posted, no one here has advocated destroying our parks, any more than those of us objecting to EPA over-reach have advocated for pollution. That's a construct of the "good guy versus bad guy" narrative, where we each have to take sides and everything is black and white, and one "side" figures they're the only one thinking of the children.

Recognizing over-reach, calling it over-reach, and wanting that over-reach to be addressed, in no way constitutes a disregard for the environment. Not with the EPA, not with Parks Canada.

When it comes to protecting our parks, speaking as someone who has spent a great deal of time in parks on both sides of the border and seen the escalating damage caused by growing numbers of tourists, I think I'd rather they were shooting movies in our parks instead. I very much doubt protecting against potential damage to the park itself was what Parks Canada was thinking about when they made this decision.

Surely we don't need O'Leary to help us get Parks Canada's feet back on the ground.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

kgcayenne wrote:Movie + natives involved in organized crime = no decision can be made without SOMEONE being ticked-off.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... a-1.873168 no such thing as native criminals involved in organized crime [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

IT's a movie and good for BC I don't see the issue. I think Alberta wanted to make issue (maybe to up the price?) and lost the benefit.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Having a laugh over this thread, even though the shoot's location has changed.

Hard Powder is basically a remake of the Norwegian movie In Order of Disappearance (same director—available on Netflix).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoP1iEkhO7E

So, pray tell, how does a ‘North American’ remake of a wry Norwegian ‘gansta revenge flick’ supposedly set in Colorado with an Indigenous (probably APTN) bound spin truly contribute to the public’s awareness, appreciation and understanding of Canada’s Mountain National Parks? Yep, gansta Tom and big-blade Liam dueling on the mountainside roads totally fits in with the natural and human history of our parks. So sure, charm those tourists for us. If they’re able to make the connection to the actual scenic location from what they see on the screen, then they'll probably be smart enough to understand they might not stumble into some kind of gang war--'less it's the grizzlies against the black bears for territory, and a lone wolf after them all for its cub getting killed over stumbling onto a fresh kill.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/ ... rnage.aspx

And Mr. Jackson, if you want to bring a true ‘awareness and understanding’ of the ‘character’ you hope to portray in Hard Powder, how about working to promote the making of a film with a similar but serious theme set somewhere more appropriate in Canada: for instance, Maskwacis, Alberta?

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... -cree-name

Maybe the ‘tourist economy’ in a place like that could benefit from a boost.

And you, too, Bill Evans—times have changed, so do some homework and proper promotion when it comes to directing the likes of 5 million dollars to the most suitable locations in your ‘territory.’

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/01/31/th ... d-in-banff

Because it looks to me like Jasper (at least) isn’t expecting to suffer for the lack of appropriate thematic Indigenous relations this summer as well for the lack of a film crew visiting it during this spring’s shoulder season.

http://www.fitzhugh.ca/ecology-indigeno ... s-for-jnp/

Return to “Canada”