On Air Now

Sign In
www.cknw.com
A win for privacy rights: B.C. Civil Liberties Association

Vancouver, BC, Canada / News Talk 980 CKNW | Vancouver's News. Vancouver's Talk
Emily Lazatin
Posted: March 17, 2017 08:44 am
The Supreme Court of Canada has come down with a decision on warrantless searches and in doing so, has overturned several convictions of a Langley man.

If police smell marijuana while walking by your home, should they be allowed to search it without a warrant?

The Supreme Court of Canada says no

its about time.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: A win for privacy

Post by maryjane48 »

my only question are these types of law retro active ?
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

As I agree with the ruling with respect to the home, the guy was far from an angel...

They found guns in his home along with more drugs.

Although the cops made a mistake in entering his home, treating this guy as a victim is a stretch.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

maryjane48 wrote:Listen Live
on air now
On Air Now

Sign In
http://www.cknw.com

Vancouver, BC, Canada / News Talk 980 CKNW | Vancouver's News. Vancouver's Talk
Emily Lazatin
Posted: March 17, 2017 08:44 am
The Supreme Court of Canada has come down with a decision on warrantless searches and in doing so, has overturned several convictions of a Langley man.

If police smell marijuana while walking by your home, should they be allowed to search it without a warrant? Nope, only your home

The Supreme Court of Canada says no

its about time.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Chyren wrote:As I agree with the ruling with respect to the home, the guy was far from an angel...

They found guns in his home along with more drugs.

Although the cops made a mistake in entering his home, treating this guy as a victim is a stretch.

the post isnt about a criminal its about cops not being able to make up law as they go along
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

They can knock on my door anytime they want. I have nothing to hide and no reason to fear them. Same with my phone computer, whatever. Can't understand why anyone would unless they are breaking the law??????????
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Once again Maryjane you show your anti-law stance.

The cops didn't "make up" laws, the laws themselves lacked clarification which must be dealt with via case law.

That's what happened here. Look it up.

The good news is its a win for privacy which is a win for us all.

Next time just get the warrant and bob's your uncle.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Smurf wrote:They can knock on my door anytime they want. I have nothing to hide and no reason to fear them. Same with my phone computer, whatever. Can't understand why anyone would unless they are breaking the law??????????

They, nor anyone else has zero business what is behind my four walls or on my phone. Maybe I have a sex dungeon that I don't want to share with Detective Snoopy. Maybe I have personal information between me and the Mrs. on my phone that nobody needs to see. Not everything we may want to keep to ourselves is "illegal". If the authorities have reasonable grounds to pursue a search, by all means have at it. But if they're grounds are based on nothing more than a hunch or whiff - sorry, citizens have the right to privacy and that needs to be respected.

Hiding something and understanding that my personal life is no one's business are two very different things.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yea exactly its simple . get the bad guys but dont presume everyone is bad . i certainly dont paint every cop with same brush as that would be presumptous . the good thing is that a by product will be more cases being more solid and more convictions on the real criminals .
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Excellent point.

Not everything one keeps private is illegal, however, in this case the "whiff" probably had a lot more information behind it with respect to an investigation. They were probably watching him for a while. The "whiff" was what they used, wrongly in this case, to get in. Should have just got the warrant.

The Police have a tough job to do but they have to do it right and use the processes that are in place to achieve that.

Maybe there was a time sensitivity thing at play here with respect to the guy? Who knows.

Its a great win for privacy and in the end locks down a grey legal area which allows for greater safety in Canada.

Return to “Canada”