Trudeau charges taxpayers $127,000 for holiday

Atomoa
Guru

Re: Trudeau charges taxpayers $127,000 for holiday

Post by Atomoa »

I want to be paid in vintage baseball cards that I can sell for cash, under the table.

Justin Trudeau should make sure that gravy train keeps running for me.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Merry wrote:
Why does it make sense to allow CEO's to make two thirds of their annual salary in Stock options (as opposed to paying them the same way the rest of us get paid) purely and simply so they can pay less tax than they otherwise would on their six figure incomes?

I realize that you are just pulling this out of your butt and you have no way to back up your comments, but this once again is jealousy rearing its ugly head. Why is the Left so infatuated with "CEO's". As others have stated, thousands of Canadians get stock options, and just focusing on a few people and point at them is silly and ludicrous. There is a tax basis for why stock options are taxed at these rates, but all that goes out the window because a few people are horribly jealous and want everyone to be poor and ignorant like they are.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I'm neither poor, nor ignorant GB, but I know gross unfairness when I see it.

Every time one group of Canadians is given an unfair tax break, the rest of us have to pay more tax to make up the shortfall. And I'm sick and tired of having to pay more in order to allow special tax breaks which are aimed predominantly at the wealthiest amongst us.

If the Liberals had kept their promise and put a cap on the amount people can be paid (and receive tax breaks on) in this way, any "middle class" folks receiving such compensation could continue to do so, while limiting the amount of tax wealthy folk could avoid in this way.

But Trudeau broke his promise, and kept the status quo.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

One reason many executives are incentivized through options is to try and continually improve profits and the stock price. Options are only worth anything if the value of the shares increases.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

he did not charge enough . i was hoping for atleast 500 grand . im kinda disapointed
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Gilchy wrote:One reason many executives are incentivized through options is to try and continually improve profits and the stock price. Options are only worth anything if the value of the shares increases.

And history has shown that focusing purely on "short term gain" has often resulted in far too much "long term pain".

Far too many poor business decisions have been made as a result of CEO's thinking more about their own personal self interest, rather than the long term best interests of the company they represent.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

At first on appearances it seems like a lot cash. At first I thought, why there, why not have a holiday closer to, or at home.

Then I thought, the PM has the weight of our country and parts of the world on his shoulders. Has to sleep at night wrestling with decisions of life and death.

If it were me I'd do the same thing, and I think every one else would too.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The issue isn't whether or not our PM is deserving of a holiday, because of course he is. Everyone deserves a break now and again.

The issue is how much of that holiday should be paid for by taxpayers.

The PM is required to travel in a Government plane, and to have a security detail. So those things should be taxpayer funded. But Justin should pay for all other expenditures himself. Just like the rest of us do.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Merry wrote:The issue isn't whether or not our PM is deserving of a holiday, because of course he is. Everyone deserves a break now and again.

The issue is how much of that holiday should be paid for by taxpayers.

The PM is required to travel in a Government plane, and to have a security detail. So those things should be taxpayer funded. But Justin should pay for all other expenditures himself. Just like the rest of us do.

f9r contrast it costs americans 3 million everytime trump goes to maro lago . christy clark has spent 15 million on partisan adds with taxmoney . jt trip is smaĺ potatos and not worth making a thread about wadr
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Another thing I just thought of - nobody is gunning for the rest of us, hence a security detail.

Our jobs don't come with default death threats just for accepting the position.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

maryjane48 wrote:f9r contrast it costs americans 3 million everytime trump goes to maro lago . christy clark has spent 15 million on partisan adds with taxmoney . jt trip is smaĺ potatos and not worth making a thread about wadr

I fail to see how pointing out inappropriate spending on the part of other politicians somehow justifies inappropriate spending by our PM, because two (or more) wrongs don't make a right.

If the PM was on a personal holiday (as he claims) then taxpayers should not be on the hook for his personal expenditures. As I said before, we should pay for the private plane (which he is mandated to use) and his personal security detail, AND THAT IS ALL.

The PM is paid a salary to do his job, but that salary does not include personal trips at taxpayers expense.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Merry wrote:
Every time one group of Canadians is given an unfair tax break, .

It's not an unfair tax break. It's being portrayed as unfair by people who don't know what they are talking about, consumed by sheer jealousy. Calling it "unfair" is both dishonest and horrible.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Atomoa wrote:I want to be paid in vintage baseball cards that I can sell for cash, under the table.

Then negotiate that with your employer.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

JLives wrote:It costs $3 million dollars every weekend Trump goes golfing .

I looked this up and this number is indeed more left-wing left fake news. The left-wing fake news site Politico came up with this number based on a trip taken by Obama back in 2013. They have no other basis for this estimate whatsoever, but hey, out they blabbed this number, it was picked up by other fake news sites like the Washington Post, and now it's fake news, to now be echoing in liberal media news chambers around the world. Just a total lie, but what else do you expect from the left.

Return to “Canada”