Cut Gay Pride Funding?

Veovis
Guru

Re: Cut Gay Pride Funding?

Post by Veovis »

FreeRights wrote:Nor should the current administration cut funding. It's an inclusive public event.

But yet it isn't anymore. When special groups determine who can and cannot join in a parade meant for "acceptance of all" then the parade is not about what they say it is.

When the people who help keep people safe are not welcome, why spend money to make the people safe?

Personally I think the pride parades need to evolve into a people's parade where all people can march in pride of who they are no matter what.....it always seemed the intent, yet now, you are hated if you are not the right thing.....troubling and hypocritical.

Just as the special interest of church made peoples lives worse, we should now know not to make other peoples lives worse for who they are be it anything.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

FreeRights wrote:I agree that banning uniformed law enforcement from marching in the parade was an utterly reprehensible decision that I hope that they reconsider, though on the other hand it's still inclusive as they aren't banning police officers, they're restricting uniforms. Not good enough for me, to say the least, but it's still very much inclusive.

They aren't restricting uniforms - they are banning police floats from the parade and police stalls from the festivities.
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Hassel99 wrote:You would be surprised how little control JT has over the municipal spending of the city of Toronto.

lol...wonder if JT knows that.

:D
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

whitecandle wrote:They aren't restricting uniforms - they are banning police floats from the parade and police stalls from the festivities.

And yet would lose their collective minds if there was an assault or other crime that took place and the police didn't show up in a timely fashion
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

whitecandle wrote:They aren't restricting uniforms - they are banning police floats from the parade and police stalls from the festivities.

If the uniforms are making them uncomfortable, sounds close enough to me.
The Vancouver Pride Society made the request last month after the local chapter of Black Lives Matter asked the Vancouver Police Department to voluntarily withdraw from the march as "a show of solidarity and understanding'" because the presence of uniformed officers makes some minority groups feel unsafe.

The police have been asked to leave their uniforms at home.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If even one of them goes home and finds out their house was broken into, who are they gonna call? Ghostbusters?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

In a collaborative attempt to begin conversations, and acknowledge that Calgary does have existing racial tensions, a coalition of people representing the People of Colour community have asked officers and RCMP to attend the pride parade with a t-shirt that reads: vigilance, courage, Pride, instead of uniforms and weapons.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary/20 ... forms.html
This isn't just happening in Toronto, but Vancouver and Calgary as well.
The Vancouver Pride Society has responded to demands that police be banned from marching in the city’s annual Pride Parade with the suggestion that officers show up in fewer numbers and leave their uniforms at home.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... e34120580/

I see no reason to fund a parade when it's not all inclusive, especially when the segment that is being denied has participated for such a long time.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Fancy wrote:The police have been asked to leave their uniforms at home.

That is Vancouver, the funding issue is Toronto
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Black Lives Matter opposes police presence in the parades - would that not mean no uniforms?

I see your post changed - yes I did read the article (and many others) and yes I do know the funding cut is regarding Toronto but that wasn't my point as you know I was responding to whitecandle.

Last week at Pride Toronto’s annual general meeting, the voting membership agreed to ban the formal participation of Toronto Police Services from the upcoming Pride Parade. This would mean that no official police float or uniformed officers would be part of the celebration

http://globalnews.ca/news/3205714/pride ... community/
Happening in Ottawa as well.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

fvkasm2x wrote:

And yet would lose their collective minds if there was an assault or other crime that took place and the police didn't show up in a timely fashion

---------bingo-------
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Police will still be there but doing their job.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

It's a terrible situation when they ban the police but will expect full protection from them if problems erupt. I have no doubt that every penny of funding should be pulled anywhere this happens in any form. If the BLM doesn't like it they can stay home but don't force their opinions on everyone else. These parades should be open to anyone who wishes to be there as long as they are respectful to everyone else while they are there. I thought these parades were about acceptance and that certainly does not include banning people who want to attend.and share in the feeling.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I'd ban the idiot Trudeau from the parade long before I'd ban a policeman.

Policemen actually serve a purpose in this country, as opposed to Trudeau.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

So my tax dollars were going to a "gay pride" parade but I have to rely on private donations to help build a hospital.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Fancy wrote:The police have been asked to leave their uniforms at home.

I wonder how it would go over if the gays were asked not to dress in drag to make the rules all-inclusive.
They say you can't believe everything they say.

Return to “Canada”