Fort Mac Fires - One Year Later

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Fort Mac Fires - One Year Later

Post by fluffy »

I notice that the media is full of Ft. Mac fire stories as we mark the one year anniversary of that event. I'm still very impressed at how quickly and efficiently the evacuation of the city went, moving out 80,000 in a day and in some pretty tense circumstances.

I commute to work in the camps north of Fort McMurrray, camps that became refugee territory and then staging grounds for evacuation. I was just watching the morning news on how they set up a temporary hospital in an equipment garage/tent at the FIrebag airport for evacuees in transit from the Fort Mac airport.

There is something to be learned here, as all the petty differences that keep us at odds so often quickly evaporated when a common (and urgent) goal was shared.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Fort Mac Fires - One Year Later

Post by Jflem1983 »

The ppl of Ft Mac were saved because of those camps . Without the camps there was nowhere to go . Never forget the ndp left ppl stranded . Suncor and westjet brought ppl home safe .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Jflem1983 wrote:The ppl of Ft Mac were saved because of those camps . Without the camps there was nowhere to go . Never forget the ndp left ppl stranded . Suncor and westjet brought ppl home safe .

And Air Canada, Air North, Canadian North, North Caribou, Enerjet, Canadian Forces, First Canada, Diversified, Golden Arrow. It was incredible to be a part of.

The rain we had yesterday sure would have helped last year - as would the much cooler temperatures.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

How's the rebuilding coming?

I am curious how fast they are building the homes and if people are moving back to the effected areas.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Hassel99 wrote:How's the rebuilding coming?

I am curious how fast they are building the homes and if people are moving back to the effected areas.

Because of the industry downturn over the last couple of years many of those who lost houses are opting for cash payouts, leaving the area in light of the reduced job opportunities. It is being said that Fort McMurray will never be the same.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Lots of people had homes up for sale for many months . I'm sure they appreciate the cash pay out . I paddled into ft Mac as a youth . Started at Hinton. 2 Portages had us on the athabasca . Took nearly a month . 1500 km . We did a tour of some of suncor facilities on the river . They had a big paper mill . It was pretty cool actually . The water from the athabasca has oil emulsified into it . We had to use ceramic filters and iodine to get clean drinking water . Always thought fort Mac should have been a bigger city . Hopefully they do rebuild a nicer city
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Jflem1983 wrote: The water from the athabasca has oil emulsified into it . We had to use ceramic filters and iodine to get clean drinking water . Always thought fort Mac should have been a bigger city .

Neil Young and Jane Fonda told me that the water in the river was clean until the "tar sands" started up. Are you saying that they lied to me?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Canada”