How much is enough, Public Service Employees Union?

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

How much is enough, Public Service Employees Union?

Post by Gone_Fishin »

So, these guys are very close to going on strike. Yes, these guys who make $35 an hour ringing six-packs of beer through the till. Do you think they deserve more, given the skillset required for the job, and the comparable wages paid for that job in the private sector?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: How much is enough, Public Service Employees Union?

Post by Merry »

I have to agree that it is very difficult to have sympathy for folks who are asking for more when they are already very well compensated for what they do. But it's not just liquor store employees who have their hands out; almost every employee, regardless of income level, feels they deserve an annual increase. This applies to managers, all the way down to those at the "bottom". The amount they earn has nothing to do with their belief that they're "entitled" to an annual increase.

How do we change that kind of thinking? I don't know, but I do know that it is a reality.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Yeah, that seems pretty high for a clerk!

Union clerks at Interior Health (whom I'd argue have a more difficult job requiring more skills) make something on the order of $20/hr.

https://careers.roomtogrowbc.com/ViewPo ... -0-13--0-0
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

From what I hear, ONT is expensive as hell to live in. It can cost $20 to take the HWY if you have to use it to get to work. rent is around $1200+ for 1 bedroom, 2 if your lucky. $30H wage might, be like a $14/15 wage in kelowna. you can survive but no more.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Bleach wrote:From what I hear, ONT is expensive as hell to live in. It can cost $20 to take the HWY if you have to use it to get to work. rent is around $1200+ for 1 bedroom, 2 if your lucky. $30H wage might, be like a $14/15 wage in kelowna. you can survive but no more.

Sounds like they need to lower wages to curb the cost of living in Ontario. It's a good thing that we in BC are not stupidly raising the minimum wage as it's clear this just leads to dramatic inflation and general suffering.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

https://opseu.org/information/find-your ... -agreement
click on LCBO
Wages start on page 80 are 35 pages of different job titles and levels. Their benefits are awesome. Hard to cry poor when you get every benefit under the sun plus a high wage. Remember that not all live in the GTA and there are numerous job postings for Hickville Ont type towns. Not very high cost of living there, except maybe for the hydro which is ridiculous.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Try Googling Treasury Board collective agreements for some of the Federal agreements. Caution: viewing these salary amounts may cause unhealthy blood pressure increases and uncontrolled ranting.

Return to “Canada”