Emery: The Liberals have lied – pot plan is not legalization

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Emery: The Liberals have lied – pot plan is not legalization

Post by Rwede »

Emery: The Liberals have lied – their pot plan is not legalization

Jodie Emery

Published on: April 17, 2017 | Last Updated: April 20, 2017 1:03 PM EDT

The Liberal government finally introduced its highly anticipated marijuana legalization legislation. But this proposal is not legalization – it is continued criminalization, with new harsher laws designed to punish even more people.

Canadians want marijuana to be legal because they grew tired of seeing family and friends arrested and charged, then denied job opportunities and travel rights. They became frustrated seeing police spend their tax dollars every year going after people for pot, when they should be solving serious crimes such as murder, assault, rape and theft.

SNIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Some unsavoury people may be involved in the pot industry, but blame that on the government: their prohibition policy increases the value of cannabis, which makes it attractive to certain groups eager to make money. If coffee were banned tomorrow, organized crime would get into the coffee bean business. Prohibition manufactures crime where none would otherwise exist.

Under this legislation, we will see continued arrests for possession, growing and selling; harsher penalties, ranging from 14 years to life in prison for various offences; no pardons or amnesty for Canadians with criminal records; continued dispensary raids and arrests; and a new reefer madness propaganda campaign.

How is this “legalization”?

The Liberals have simply proposed decriminalizing small amounts of personal possession (30 grams) and plants (four, and they must be very small), which they won’t even allow right away. That means tens of thousands of citizens will continue to be victimized by laws most people agree are unjust.

This legislation doesn’t restrict access to kids either. It just criminalizes more Canadians by enforcing extremely harsh penalties. Many young adults will face long prison sentences just for sharing a joint with their friends. How does this “protect our kids,” or anyone at all?

It seems the legislation simply legalizes a licensed producer oligopoly. Licensed producers exist because patients, growers and dispensaries were arrested, charged and won in court; Health Canada’s medical marijuana information sheet states they only allow licensed producers because courts ordered them to do so.

Licensed producers are supposed to serve patients across Canada, but they are unable to supply that demand. How can they possibly feed the recreational market? They can’t. Canadians already know where to get cannabis, and they will continue to obtain it the same ways they always have.

Legalization was supposed to bring the existing industry out of the shadows and into the light, but this legislation will keep it in the dark, and deny people the opportunity to transition into the legal industry. You can’t become a legal producer if you have a criminal record. In contrast, Oakland, California offered reparations to drug war victims by allowing them entry into the legal pot industry.

This is not legalization. It’s Prohibition 2.0, and beneficiaries include licensed producers who have managed to effectively lobby – and even hire – Liberal marijuana task force members and government officials. Reports say Anne McLellan’s law firm advises licensed producers; no wonder her task force recommended licensed producers be the only legal growers.

Mark Ware, also on the task force, was hired by Canopy Growth, founded by the Liberal party’s former chief financial officer, Chuck Rifici.
Many cops and politicians are involved in these companies, making a lot of money while encouraging law enforcement to arrest their competition.

Legalization should mean the end of criminalization – not continued prohibition. I support reasonable regulation of cannabis, but this legislation is not reasonable.

It’s prohibitive, punitive and will not achieve any of its stated goals. Once again, the Liberals have lied, and Canadians will pay the price.

Jodie Emery is a pot activist and cofounder of Cannabis Culture pot shops.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Emery: The Liberals have lied – pot plan is not legaliza

Post by gman313 »

what else do you expect from Selfie Boy
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

First you quote Huff Post , now Emery's word as gospel?

If you ask me it sounds like the Emery's are bummed out that they got squeezed out , and with all the noise they made throughout the years they probably feel like they deserve a piece of the pie.

Government taking control of this whole thing is fine with me.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*Do not start bickering! Stay on topic! Thank you.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Jody wants a free-for-all. That's really not what Canadians want.

Alcohol and tobacco are not a free-for-all. The who, what, where when and ancillary issues are fairly closely regulated and enforced. Even though in the case of alcohol laws have become less restrictive over time - in my opinion too loose.

It was to be expected that the first go round with legalizing marijuana would be pretty tightly controlled, and would have to take into account one of the goals - to destroy the black market. Also our position next door to the US can not be ignored.

What I have seen of the bill looks effective but on the conservative side. That's a good place to start with legalization.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Rwede wrote:Emery: The Liberals have lied – their pot plan is not legalization

Jodie Emery

Published on: April 17, 2017 | Last Updated: April 20, 2017 1:03 PM EDT

The Liberal government finally introduced its highly anticipated marijuana legalization legislation. But this proposal is not legalization – it is continued criminalization, with new harsher laws designed to punish even more people.

lol um we all saw what you said about the emerys. would you use hitler make a point also?
Last edited by ferri on Jul 9th, 2017, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Shortened repost of article.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

^^^

When even the pothead Emerys are totally infuriated with Trudeau, you can bet his numbers will take a severe hit at the voting booth when they pull their support from him next election.

They have a large following whom they rallied to vote for Trudeau last time. Agree with them or not, they influence a huge block of voters.

One Term Trudeau.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Rwede wrote:^^^

When even the pothead Emerys are totally infuriated with Trudeau, you can bet his numbers will take a severe hit at the voting booth when they pull their support from him next election.

They have a large following whom they rallied to vote for Trudeau last time. Agree with them or not, they influence a huge block of voters.

One Term Trudeau.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Emery's, but if Trudeau legalized marijuana with no legal overhead or regulation, they would still be complaining that it wasn't done soon enough.

Other similar products like alcohol and tobacco are also subject to regulatory compliance. Like marijuana under this bill, they are legal.

Marc and Jodie Emery are career marijuana activists. They would essentially become irrelevant if they didn't continue fighting a war that's essentially over.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

marc did s9me incredably generous things for people that were terminally ill . but as free points out he never publicized that . he is was more concerned with sticking it to the man .

Return to “Canada”