Avro Arrow to be raised!

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Avro Arrow to be raised!

Post by bob vernon »

The Avro Arrow, a Canadian designed built series of prototype interceptor/fighters from the 1950s may have been found and might be raised and put on display. The Arrow was far ahead of its time and was designed to protect the Canadian north from incursions by Russian aircraft. Prototypes flew in the late 50s, but suddenly in 1959, the program was terminated.

It is believed a call from American President Dwight Eisenhower, late in his time in office and a favour to the US industry, lead the Conservative government of the day to knuckle under and obey the call from head office, killing the plane and a large part of an entire industry. All models were ordered destroyed and all plans were to be destroyed. The planes were sunk in Lake Ontario. 30,000 jobs were killed by the Diefenbaker Conservatives. Many of the people working on the project moved to the US and got involved with the US space program. Another legacy from the Regressive-Conservatives.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/rai ... b601ac5952
my5cents
Guru

Re: Avro Arrow to be raised!

Post by my5cents »

bob vernon wrote:The Avro Arrow, a Canadian designed built series of prototype interceptor/fighters from the 1950s may have been found and might be raised and put on display. The Arrow was far ahead of its time and was designed to protect the Canadian north from incursions by Russian aircraft. Prototypes flew in the late 50s, but suddenly in 1959, the program was terminated.

It is believed a call from American President Dwight Eisenhower, late in his time in office and a favour to the US industry, lead the Conservative government of the day to knuckle under and obey the call from head office, killing the plane and a large part of an entire industry. All models were ordered destroyed and all plans were to be destroyed. The planes were sunk in Lake Ontario. 30,000 jobs were killed by the Diefenbaker Conservatives. Many of the people working on the project moved to the US and got involved with the US space program. Another legacy from the Regressive-Conservatives.

You mean you don't think that it was just a decision to end a program creating a new jet plane ?

That's the normal way to terminate a development program, destroy all paperwork, destroy parts and sink the large pieces in a lake. [icon_lol2.gif]

Seriously,, very sad, and very upsetting.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

imo very bad decision by Diefenbaker, we lost great amount of smart people to the US over this.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:imo very bad decision by Diefenbaker, we lost great amount of smart people to the US over this.

If I thought it was just based on a "bad decision", I wouldn't growl every time I think about the Avro Arrow. This is a situation where the word corruption seems to fit.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I don't believe these are the actual Avro Arrows but prototype models. From what I understood on the news last night they are actually smaller but I am not sure.

The Avro Arrow models, one-eighth the size of the jet at about three metres long with a two metre wingspan, were launched with booster rockets between 1955-57 from Point Petre in Prince Edward County, east of Toronto, to test the flight design before the CF-105 Arrow was produced.

When the Canadian jet fighter program was abruptly cancelled in 1959, over 30,000 people lost their jobs and all Avro Arrow-related material was ordered destroyed, including six completed jet fighters.

All that remains are the free flight test models at the bottom of Lake Ontario.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/07/14/av ... kes-flight

Too bad there is still not a real one left, they were away ahead of the time and destroying them was a bad decision as far as I am concerned. I remember quite well when it was going on.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

GordonH wrote:imo very bad decision by Diefenbaker, we lost great amount of smart people to the US over this.

most went to nasa.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

maryjane48 wrote:

most went to nasa.

Actually Dad spoke of this a lot, the Avro brain trust split among Boeing, NASA, McDonnell, Lockheed, and the rest. Never again was that collection of minds seen in one place or on one project ever again.
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

bob vernon wrote: Another legacy from the Regressive-Conservatives.

LOL - yes it was the Conservatives fault that the LIberals built a plane that no one wanted to buy. Good grief, what a joke. Revisionist history at its best.

I am a huge fan of the Arrow and it was a pinnacle of Canadian engineering. However, like Jurassic Park, the government got far too into "can we do it" and never asked the question until it was too late and hundreds of millions (in 1950's dollars) had been blown before they realized that they should have been asking "Should we do it?" A perfect example of a bureaucracy at work and group-think taking over.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

The Green Barbarian wrote:LOL - yes it was the Conservatives fault that the LIberals built a plane that no one wanted to buy. Good grief, what a joke. Revisionist history at its best.

I am a huge fan of the Arrow and it was a pinnacle of Canadian engineering. However, like Jurassic Park, the government got far too into "can we do it" and never asked the question until it was too late and hundreds of millions (in 1950's dollars) had been blown before they realized that they should have been asking "Should we do it?" A perfect example of a bureaucracy at work and group-think taking over.

So, since this was so "above board", you think the manner in which they basically destroy any evidence of the creation of this aircraft is just standard procedure ?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

the americans themselves admitted they made canada kill the avro because they didnt want compatition from canada . . the avro was able carry nukes so that was problem for the yanks to .

http://www.avroarrow.org/cancellation.htm

in short we had the better jet but the yanks had other ideas :smt045
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

my5cents wrote:
So, since this was so "above board", you think the manner in which they basically destroy any evidence of the creation of this aircraft is just standard procedure ?

This was 60 years ago. During the Cold War. Who knows what standard procedure was back then. Applying current social mores to historical events is just the dumbest thing ever, but leftists do it all the time, and their revisionist nonsense just makes me ill.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Canada”