Post by maryjane48 »

https://weather.com/en-CA/canada/animal ... lings-pond

bunch of idiots running that company
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Suncor murders more birds

Post by Rwede »

Horrible.

And almost as horrible as these poor birds that were chopped into stew by wind turbines.

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Rwede wrote:Horrible.

And almost as horrible as these poor birds that were chopped into stew by wind turbines.

as bad but atleast the turbine sites in north america have taken steps to mitigate bird losses where as tar pits do nothing except shrug
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Numerous approaches have been taken to mitigate danger to birds by wind turbines. That said, they still account for exponentially far fewer bird deaths than glass windows or cats.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Omnitheo wrote:Numerous approaches have been taken to mitigate danger to birds by wind turbines. That said, they still account for exponentially far fewer bird deaths than glass windows or cats.

Such a bizarre statement.

I've never understood why people can look at dead raptors and other similar birds killed while hunting in or migrating through farmland and forest areas and dismiss them with "well, heck, there's much higher numbers of birds killed in cities". It's an irrational, illogical and weird way of thinking.

And we usually hear it from people who, for good reason, wouldn't dream of dismissing the problem of tailings pond deaths with "they still account for exponentially far fewer bird deaths than glass windows or cats".
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

It's not a dismissal. But it's about putting things in context. People biased against renewable energy will look for any negative impact no matter how small and use it to demonize the technology. It seems the "bird lovers" only come out to discuss wind and solar, but don't make a peep about the subject when it comes to any other sort of development. Or communication towers, or the use of pesticides or especially not when entire ecosystems are made barren for resource extraction.

In fact neither wind farms nor oil extraction even make environment Canada's top lists of bird deaths
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/9-leadi ... -1.1873654

You also seemed to disregard the part where I said that numerous approaches have been made to make wind farms less dangerous to birds. It's actually quite interesting just how extensive the research has been and all the different ways that wind farms have tried to reduce any possible damage. Meanwhile, though countless studies have been done on bird deaths caused by communication towers, thus far it appears very little has actually been done to mitigate these.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

thats it perfectly omni. the ones with a agenda will cry bird killers unless its their little pet project then its all good . i posted many times the steps the windmills take to mitigate birdlosses . oil industry does nothing or as little as possible. site c is going to kill 40 percent the fish yet none these posters say anything about that . fish have feathers to . called scales
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

maryjane48 wrote:the ones with a agenda will cry bird killers

Truer words were never spoken.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Omnitheo wrote:People biased against renewable energy will look for any negative impact no matter how small and use it to demonize the technology.

Kinda like those people biased against oil :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:as bad but atleast the turbine sites in north america have taken steps to mitigate bird losses where as tar pits do nothing except shrug

You have an odd definition of "shrug" ...

“The majority of birds impacted were horned larks (a migratory species). The larks are not native to the area so we are engaging with wildlife experts as well as the regulator to determine what additional measures we can put in place.”

She said the company has launched an investigation to figure out why the birds were in the area despite the presence of working bird deterrent systems, including cannon, radar and scarecrows.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

maryjane48 wrote:
Rwede wrote:Horrible.

as bad but atleast the turbine sites in north america have taken steps to mitigate bird losses where as tar pits do nothing except shrug

Wondering how long it was going to take you to post about this. First off, they are not tar pits, it was a Tailings pond...secondly they have implemented further steps to prevent this since this happened. you should maybe invest in a trip to Fort McMurray to educate yourself before putting up false comments.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:as bad but atleast the turbine sites in north america have taken steps to mitigate bird losses where as tar pits do nothing except shrug

Care to share what steps that turbine sites have taken?

I'm at the FH site every other week - they've implemented many new steps along the last couple of years. The old propane cannon's weren't very effective, so they've been replaced by more advanced techniques placing systems around site that use predatory bird calls to scare birds away. They've started using drones that look like predatory birds and they've used the good ol' flare guns around as well. Too claim that they do nothing is 100% BS.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Omnitheo wrote:It's not a dismissal. But it's about putting things in context. People biased against renewable energy will look for any negative impact no matter how small and use it to demonize the technology. It seems the "bird lovers" only come out to discuss wind and solar, but don't make a peep about the subject when it comes to any other sort of development. Or communication towers, or the use of pesticides or especially not when entire ecosystems are made barren for resource extraction.

In fact neither wind farms nor oil extraction even make environment Canada's top lists of bird deaths
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/9-leadi ... -1.1873654

You also seemed to disregard the part where I said that numerous approaches have been made to make wind farms less dangerous to birds. It's actually quite interesting just how extensive the research has been and all the different ways that wind farms have tried to reduce any possible damage. Meanwhile, though countless studies have been done on bird deaths caused by communication towers, thus far it appears very little has actually been done to mitigate these.

WADR, Omnitheo, it's not putting things in context at all. It's taking it way, way out of context.

In context, you'd look at far more than mere numbers. Your "no matter how small" is dismissive, too, whether you intend it to be or not.

Contrary to what you've stated here, many people who object to bird deaths due to wind farms also object to their deaths due developments, resource extraction and pesticides. It's nonsense to suggest otherwise. I fully agree communication towers are a problem to be addressed. It's lower on the list than transmission lines, and yet we've added a plethora of these high-voltage lines because of wind farms like the one on the Pennask.

None of these should get a free pass. All of them should fully face up to and take responsibility for the unintended negative consequences associated with them. But consider this: wind power generation is the only one that cloaks itself as "environmentally responsible".

I'll leave it to you to decide whether or not wind farms are a necessary evil. In my opinion, very few of them are necessary, and the rest are doing far more harm than good. If pointing this out constitutes "demonization of the technology" in your eyes, well, so be it.

Some might consider "Suncor murders more birds" as demonization. To each their own.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Canada”