5 months in jail for graffiti

Glacier
The Pilgrim

5 months in jail for graffiti

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: 5 months in jail for graffiti

Post by maryjane48 »

Glacier wrote:Too harsh or not severe enough?

Oshawa man jailed five months for anti-Muslim graffiti at bus stops

not enough for hate speech
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Seems excessive to me. The judge used to be an Indian lawyer. Are there not jail sentences for Islamic extremists who teach killing of Jews or non-Muslims? The guy is also diagnosed as mentally ill, so perhaps treatment would had been better. The judge was unsure of alot of things yet still gave a long sentence. The judge says he wasn’t convicted of a hate crime but continued to call it a hate crime.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

And yet murderers get away with lighter sentences.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

5 months for graffiti/vandalism, impo no jail time. Just give them a toothbrush & tell them to clean their :cuss: ing graffiti/vandalism off.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I'm not sure how I feel about this one.

My 1st thought was "That's more than just graffiti"! Then I saw the picture of the graffiti. Black marker used to write "No More Muslims" on a single bench slat (not in huge letters). While I certainly don't like/support the message, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it hate speech or spreading hate.

I suppose for me it would come down to prior record/history. If this was the 1st time the person got in trouble with the law I'd say that 5 months in jail is a little steep for writing "No more Muslims" with a black marker.

Return to “Canada”