Could we build the railway or trans Canada hwy today

Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Could we build the railway or trans Canada hwy today

Post by Jflem1983 »

jimmy4321 wrote:Seems to take about 10 yrs to get any portion of anything built, from surveying to yellow lines Lol

Be more interesting if we could do it again, knowing what we know now what we do differently.

The more i think of your question. We have regressed.
It would not be able to be built today. Someone would cry. It would get shut down
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Jflem1983 wrote:The more i think of your question. We have regressed.
It would not be able to be built today. Someone would cry. It would get shut down

As long as you have the unproven scientific hypothesis of man-made climate change out there and not being challenged you give People and economy-hating morons the excuse to not do anything that involves any sort of transportation of petroleum products, or the increased accessabiliity of motorized vehicles that burn petroleum. I assuming these morons could be alleviated somewhat by the fact that Teslas also need to use highways, and so get by that way, but you still would have idiots saying NOOO!!!! no matter what you try and do. My question is - why do we care what these idiots think. Who cares.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:The more i think of your question. We have regressed.

As long as you have the unproven scientific hypothesis of man-made climate change out there and not being challenged you give People and economy-hating morons the excuse to not do anything that involves any sort of transportation of petroleum products, or the increased accessabiliity of motorized vehicles that burn petroleum. I assuming these morons could be alleviated somewhat by the fact that Teslas also need to use highways, and so get by that way, but you still would have idiots saying NOOO!!!! no matter what you try and do. My question is - why do we care what these idiots think. Who cares.

There is a 2 video set u should watch by james corbett. Very interesting. The videos are called how big oil conquored the world. The second video is why big oil conquored the world. Very well done. Lots of Canadian content. Explains a lot of the current green wash bs . Explains how its the same people running both sides of this
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Jflem1983 wrote:
jimmy4321 wrote:Seems to take about 10 yrs to get any portion of anything built, from surveying to yellow lines Lol

Be more interesting if we could do it again, knowing what we know now what we do differently.

The more i think of your question. We have regressed.

Oh man Jflem, you brought back a memory from Loop Brook Trail so powerfully. We had always whizzed past the site in Glacier National park but now it's my favourite stop on the TransCan. I suspect it would be yours too if you stopped and took a look.

http://goldenhikes.ca/trail/loop-brook/

GB, you too. If you drive up that way, you'd love it.
It's the stone henge of the Canadain Rockies. So huge, so immediate and so imposing that it's awe inspiring. And I had the the very thought, "would this get built today?"

I suspect no.

We've done the whole hike a couple of times and sometimes we just go up to the first tower to take a look. Easy peasy. 10 minutes at most, the entire trail is fantastic though. Have you stopped in before?
Last edited by Queen K on Jan 2nd, 2018, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

No but im thru there all the time so i will make a stop some time

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Is anyone surprised that not one person thinks it would get built.

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Nope. I've actually got an excellent book outlining the whole build, from when it was dirt tracks through swamps to now.

There was a contest prize offered to the first people who could make it coast to coast in a model T. A few tried. The photos are aweinspiring. Todays generation would die under those conditions.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

This is such a timely thread, I just happen to be in the middle of
season two of "Hell On Wheels"

Also my Pap's worked for CNR, on the ground from 1945 to 1985.
Right from doing all facets by hand, back and shoulders,
to the mechanized way.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Just imagine all the studies that would need doing. Every one of those tunnels would take 30 years each.

vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

dirtybiker wrote:This is such a timely thread, I just happen to be in the middle of
season two of "Hell On Wheels"

Also my Pap's worked for CNR, on the ground from 1945 to 1985.
Right from doing all facets by hand, back and shoulders,
to the mechanized way.

Loved that show.....one of my customers in Edmonton actually Lent them a bunch of railroad “stuff” that appears on that show as he’s a huge railroad buff...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Knowing back in 1880s the cost of the railway was in the 100 million+ mark, I can imagine what it would be today. Without any protesting
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Knowing back in 1880s the cost of the railway was in the 100 million+ mark, I can imagine what it would be today. Without any protesting

TransCanada highway was completed in 1970, total cost estimated at just over 1 billion.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Jflem1983 wrote:Just imagine all the studies that would need doing. Every one of those tunnels would take 30 years each.

And Worksafe would say it was impossible to achieve as it just simply too dangerous a task.

Now Unions, Enviromentalists, land aquisitions and Indian Affairs.
back room Government grease, bidding processes, public input(wink,wink,nudge,nudge)

It would be overbudget before the first ties held the first rail;

As for the Trans Canada, they have not even been able to get it all twinned
since it was blasted through @ 40 years ago.

Our fearless leaders are too busy squandering OUR monies to other Countries
just to be embezzled by their fearless leaders.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

dirtybiker wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Just imagine all the studies that would need doing. Every one of those tunnels would take 30 years each.

And Worksafe would say it was impossible to achieve as it just simply too dangerous a task.

Now Unions, Enviromentalists, land aquisitions and Indian Affairs.
back room Government grease, bidding processes, public input(wink,wink,nudge,nudge)

It would be overbudget before the first ties held the first rail;

As for the Trans Canada, they have not even been able to get it all twinned
since it was blasted through @ 40 years ago.

Our fearless leaders are too busy squandering OUR monies to other Countries
just to be embezzled by their fearless leaders.

Far as i know its just BC who is unable to twin the hwy. Pretty sure each of the last 5 governments all gave the province huge sums of money to finish the job. But the crooked libs /ndp. Well they had better plans for that money.

dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Jflem1983 wrote:Far as i know its just BC who is unable to twin the hwy.

Also a far more daunting task in B.C. than through the vast majority of the rest of our Nation.

Return to “Canada”