Trudeau on steel trade

Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Trudeau on steel trade

Post by Omnitheo »

I think cons just want Canada to fail. They seem to applaud every time Trump does something to hurt us.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm more hopeful.

I'm hoping the "cons" will come out and defend Canada's interests no matter who is at the helm.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I understand that the Liberals have to form a response to what is a sudden under-handed move by the USA.

Give more than a few days, okay?
Last edited by Queen K on Mar 4th, 2018, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
christopher
Board Meister

Post by christopher »

Omnitheo wrote:I think cons just want Canada to fail. They seem to applaud every time Trump does something to hurt us.

Now be honest would you feel better if Harper was talking trade with Trump
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Omnitheo wrote:It’s basically as though someone found a clip of someone coughing once in an hour long speech and then cropped it to be just a clip of the cough and said “look at this sickly chain smoker that can’t even speak”

Posters have an opportunity to discuss the actual policies and what is happening, but they instead fixate on a moment of tongue tie. (As though nobody here has ever experienced that). Just shows more and more that the critics don’t really have any real material to comment on.

Fair enough Omnitheo, but I'm not certain the thread was started to discuss the steel trade with the US but rather as a source of entertainment. :200:
I'm sure Trudeau has Canada's best interests at heart and in fact several Americans have taken Canada's side on the issue. Still, I cannot help but think that Trump isn't concerned as much with what Canadians think, but more with what his supporters think. I read earlier (sorry I have no link and forget where it was) that this move by Trump will eventually hurt the US economy, but not right away, thus giving Americans the impression of a clever move to save American jobs and money.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

christopher wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:I think cons just want Canada to fail. They seem to applaud every time Trump does something to hurt us.

yes much better
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

christopher wrote:

i think a chimpanzee would be better
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Post by ninetyninepct »

Trudeau can put Canadian steel and aluminum workers on temporary leave, import cheap steel and aluminum from his Communist Chinese donors than resell it to America, making a profit even with tariffs. Stopping manufacturing in Canada would cut down on pollution and make his Chinese Communist donors happy.

The only problem is that this steel and aluminum would have to be brought to Canada in ships which Horgan, Weaver and their environmental jihadists hate. Oh well, it might have been a good idea.
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

The US fires the first shot.

"U.S. imposes steel and aluminum tariffs on Canada"

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstor ... spartanntp

Our 'pistol' Freeland fires back.

Canada responds to U.S. tariffs with its own 'countermeasures'

Canada is imposing dollar-for-dollar tariff "countermeasures" on up to $16.6 billion worth of U.S. imports in response to the American decision to make good on its threat of similar tariffs against Canadian-made steel and aluminum.

<snip>

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ca ... spartanntp
Last edited by Jack DeBear on May 31st, 2018, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

This is a great move by PM Trudeau. The Americans' moves this morning are a slap in the face to all Canadians, especially our soldiers who have fought side by side Americans for more than a century. To now call us, their strongest ally, a security threat is inconceivable and idiotic.
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

Right out of the box from the story above: the list of goods from the GOC.

"Notice of intent to impose countermeasures action against the United States in response to tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum products"

http://www.fin.gc.ca/activty/consult/ca ... aa-eng.asp
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

This is so stupid. Trump imposes a shotty tarriff. Hurts Canadian business. So Trudeau. Fires back by hurting the Canadian consumer. Brilliant JT.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

Jflem1983 wrote:This is so stupid. Trump imposes a shotty tarriff. Hurts Canadian business. So Trudeau. Fires back by hurting the Canadian consumer. Brilliant JT.

[icon_lol2.gif] Wth???? For real? You do realize most of the world is taking the same action. I wonder what the lowest common denominator is?
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Jflem1983 wrote:This is so stupid. Trump imposes a shotty tarriff. Hurts Canadian business. So Trudeau. Fires back by hurting the Canadian consumer. Brilliant JT.

We have to fire back... we can't let the dumb bully get away with this unopposed.

I can speak from experience in that what happens with a lot of goods is that the importer in Canada doesn't adjust their selling prices because, generally speaking, the market sets pricing and doesn't concern itself with what a good cost to manufacture. To account for this, the price to the supplier is adjusted down by the tariff amount, keeping the cost to the importer relatively unchanged.

If we're speaking about a Canadian retailer who sells these goods, they know the prices their customers will pay for said goods. They won't want to increase prices and see volume fall. They also won't willingly take less margin. They'll squeeze the supplier for a lower cost that will offset the tariff amount. If the supplier still needs to move the volume, then there's a good chance they'll still take the business and begin lobbying their government representatives to eliminate the tariff.

I know that for me, I don't give a rat's *bleep* what their government does. I only care that I know what I (and my customers) will pay for something, and it's not my problem that the tariff exists. That's a supplier problem, not a customer problem.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Most of you people just come on here to tell what your favorite politician does and how bad the opposition politician is instead of talking about what should be going on. Your words are about as useless as any other lying politicians when you talk in the forums about anything but trying to work for a solution.. instead of bickering back and forth about what the politician did, start a dialogue about what we can do to figure it out because the politicians obviously can't. The whole political system in Canada is wrong and needs to be completely overhauled. Canada is not for Canadians anymore it appears. it's only for politicians and developers to get rich and foreign tourist can come here and buy land because they're dollar is way stronger than ours. Making it impossible for any of your kids for the most part to buy anything out here because I just inflates property value.. politicians Love how Canadians fight amongst themselves and lose sight of the real issues that we should be focusing on
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.

Return to “Canada”