Feds eye tougher gun laws

Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Re: Feds eye tougher gun laws

Post by Brass Monkey »

Blindeyes2020 wrote:Yeah R.C.M.P. attitude to PAL and RPAL holders is guilty till proven innocent, and yes legal firearms do take a hit when people do stupid things thats why they are making it more difficult and changing the firearms laws all the time. Please don't try to say they don't thats just plain obsurd to think they don't. If you believe that you do not have your PAL or RPAL.

Nobody has to do anything for regulations and laws to be invoked. The RCMP recently moved to ban the 25rd magazines for ruger 10/22 because ruger recently developed a "handgun" that accepts the same magazine and the capacity limit is 10 rounds for handguns in Canada. Nobody has to kill anyone or cause any crimes for regulations to be further imposed. I am not ready to get on board with the "I have a right to own any gun I want" wagon. The RCMP has made very few changes to the criteria we use to designate firearms as non-restricted, restricted and prohibited. I cant recall the RCMP passing any legislation that has outright banned a model of gun for any reason that it wasn't deemed a prohibited rifle.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
puterbrother
Board Meister

Post by puterbrother »

We should get more screening than immigrants do ? The Feds are letting isis fighters into Canada.They are turning a blind eye to Imams,in this country,that preach "kill the Jews".WOW !
It is our responsibility,as peaceful gun owners,to persue our hobby in the safest possible manner.That's all that needs to be.I object to the harassment that is brought upon us because some lunatic decides he's going to take out his revenge on society by picking up a gun and killing a bunch of innocent people.THAT IS NOT MY FAULT ! I should not be made to pay for it ! Oh but the powers that be are going to make damn sure I do by doing everything short of a colonoscopy to make sure I'm up to their so called standards of sanity and willingness to obey their laws.In fact,I venture to say that,we as private gun owners are the only ones in Canada who carry a card stating we are sane and trustworthy.By presenting our gun liscence,I think we should get special privilages such as free passports,free drivers liscences,deductions on life insurance etc.
That M14/M305 is safe….for now.So is the mini14 and we all know who used that but they smell blood now because of the momentum south of us.Don't think it's not going to affect us ! In fact Goodale is in talks right now about new legislation and guess who wasn't invited to the forums.
The RCMP should never be allowed to implement gun laws.They are supposed to inforce them.That's too close to a police state for my liking.
Scheer has a proposal that,if he's elected,to put that responsibilty back to government with an ombudsman assignment.
The RCMP has banned one or two semi auto rifles,in the past, because they were "easily converted" to full auto.Well…I suppose…if you have the expertise,a few months of time and a fully state of the art machine shop(lab) to work with, ya.I could probably make a machine gun out of a car muffler in that same scenario.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Here we go again, like the Gun Registry what a joke. That helped no one on the street as far as Policing went. Police consider all homes to have weapons, if not you like know the member or went to his / her funeral.

Now the same bunch of clowns are going to try and make more lawful gun owners jump hoops, run to the circus just to purchase a firearm. This will be real interesting.

I'd suggest Trudeau should not qualify to purchase any gun!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

oldtrucker wrote:According to the article, 223 people were killed in 2016. That is nothing for a country of 37,000,000ish.
Liberals will lose votes from the people that were boarderline liberal supporters in the last election over this issue.

When these new laws come to be, tell me would that number change?

Answer is no, the thugs who shoot down others don't have gun licenses and will not be required to carry one even though they have prohibited and restricted weapons.

Here is another Liberal Tax toss... just saying.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

rustled wrote:We travel quite a bit in the US, and seldom think about the difference in their gun laws. But it's not particularly comfortable to find yourself in a family restaurant next to a table where someone's packing. The only thing I know about this person is that they're A.O.K. with engaging in gunfire (and maybe even a bit excited for the possibility.) Good shot? Who knows? So that gets me thinking about where I want to be if something does happen, and it sure isn't anywhere near some stranger who's prepared for an exchange of gunfire. He's gonna contribute, and he's gonna draw fire, and there I am in the hot zone. The fact he's packing "legally" makes no never mind. Even if he's the best shot and most level-headed fella in the world, he's not contributing to my safety by making it easy for people packing to blend in. So much for peaceful enjoyment of the meal, time to scoot. Ditto for when he shows up in the sunscreen aisle in Walmart.

It's just a very different attitude.And that's the states with open carry. Then there's concealed.

Like I said, I really don't think about it much, just when confronted with it. And it's a weird thing to be confronted with people feeling the need to be armed to take their kids out for lunch or shopping for sunscreen at Walmart.

Canada seems to have achieved a reasonable balance of rights and responsibilities. Remember the rack in the back window of every pickup truck? My dad wasn't pleased to have to store his rifle out of sight instead of in the rack behind our heads, but it was nice not to thump up against it when we bounced over gravel roads. My ex was rather hysterical about what it meant when they brought in stricter controls some years back. For me, it was a relief not to have to nag about proper storage when the kids had their friends over. Dad and the ex got over their ire eventually. They still got to hunt and protect their critters against varmints, hunting didn't end, we didn't need to take up arms against the government, the sky didn't fall, life went on.

Some parts of the US really are like travelling back in time. Glad Canada's ahead of the curve. Not sure what more needs to be done.

Possibly a off duty Officer who likely practices weekly and shoots excellent. Good to assume though.

Do you ever go to Surrey and eat in a restaurant? I'd feel better at the table you were at then in a Surrey or Vancouver restaurant for that matter.

Chances are if there is some yo-yo crashing the front door the fellow with the gun isn't going to jump up and yell drop it, I have a gun. He further likely won't toss your table over and use you and your wife for cover. You watch way to many movies!

http://dailycaller.com/2018/03/13/trude ... n-control/
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jflem1983 wrote:
Most gun shot victims. Far and away are suicides. Its like 80 percent.

Do you have any facts or is that just your thought?

I found 90% of the suicides I went to were 10 foot extension cords. Mind you in Sask every home had a few to plug in their cars.

Reality in Sask the average home had 3-5. Many had over 10 as that was a hobby hunting in the Prairies.

Woman use pills, most people in general do not use guns as it disfigures their bodies. I believe I had maybe two gun suicides and I had many to investigate.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ken7 wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:
Most gun shot victims. Far and away are suicides. Its like 80 percent.

Do you have any facts or is that just your thought?

I found 90% of the suicides I went to were 10 foot extension cords. Mind you in Sask every home had a few to plug in their cars.

Reality in Sask the average home had 3-5. Many had over 10 as that was a hobby hunting in the Prairies.

Woman use pills, most people in general do not use guns as it disfigures their bodies. I believe I had maybe two gun suicides and I had many to investigate.

Was the first thing they told us in the PAL course. Most people in Canada who are shot dead. Shoot them self dead. You would have to dig for the stat as i only ever heard it at the PAL course. I do believe it to be true.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jflem1983 wrote:

Was the first thing they told us in the PAL course. Most people in Canada who are shot dead. Shoot them self dead. You would have to dig for the stat as i only ever heard it at the PAL course. I do believe it to be true.

http://www.rawnumbers.com/crime/gun-dea ... anada.html

That is difficult for me to believe, but did a search on cause of death. Hmm...I would have put money on organized crime, we read about it almost daily.

However we never did press suicides so that may be why.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I think what Jflem is saying that most people who die from gunshots in Canada are suicides. That doesn't mean that most suicides are from self inflicted gunshots.

One thing that concerns me is the number of legal gun owners who are selling their guns to God knows who. I recently saw a news story about some guy who was charged with selling something like 40 guns from his collection illegally. So, without some sort of control, even legitimate gun owners can sell their guns to criminals and there's no real way to track that.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It's infuriating that government offices and members of the media keep trying to throw law abiding gun owners under the bus as if we are responsible for a crime wave that isn't even happening.

Facts don't matter to most of the gun grabbers though...

https://twitter.com/mattgurney/status/1 ... 9197825024
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

The article was based around an interview with a Toronto Police Services detective, Rob Di Danieli. Det. Di Danieli told the Canadian Press that Canadians who were lawfully licensed to purchase and possess firearms were increasingly a public safety issue. “They go get their licence for the purpose of becoming a firearms trafficker,” Di Danieli told the CP. “A lot of people are so ready to blame the big bad Americans, but we had our own little problem here.”

The CP article hangs on this revelation from the detective. It notes, in various places, “The number of guns obtained legally in Canada but are then sold to people who use them for criminal purposes has surged dramatically in recent years compared to firearms smuggled from the United States, Toronto police say,” and, “In recent years [investigators say they] have noticed a stark shift in where guns used to commit crimes are coming from,” and, “Legal Canadian gun owners are selling their weapons illegally, Di Danieli said, noting that police have seen more than 40 such cases in recent years.”

This article absolutely informed the debate unfolding in Canada (and specifically in Toronto) right now. I can speak to that directly: while discussing the issue of handguns in Canada these last few weeks, on my radio program, online and in columns, the article has been repeatedly sent to me as a form of rebuttal: “See, Gurney, see! Lawful Canadian gun owners ARE the problem! Read this article and weep!”

But the article didn’t cite any statistics to back up its main assertion: that criminals in Toronto are being provided firearms by licenced owners in increasing — “surging” — numbers.

At the time the CP story first ran, there were no publicly available stats to support (or contradict) what di Danieli had told them. But now, those numbers are publicly available, thanks to Dennis R. Young, an Alberta-based researcher who filed a Freedom of Information request with the Toronto police and published their reply on his website. And these stats tell a very different story.

In short, there is no surge in crime guns that can be traced back to licensed Canadian gun owners. None. It’s just not there. The Toronto Police Service’s own statistics show no such surge. For instance, see this chart below. It tracks the number of “crime guns” that can be sourced either to Canada or the United States. The CP article asserts that there’s been a surge of Canadian-sourced guns since 2012. But these numbers go back as far as 2007. Look for yourself. Where’s the surge?

Below: Data shows the number of ‘crime guns’ seized by Toronto police based that can be traced back to Canada and the U.S.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4428617/matt ... tatistics/
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

LoL at the graph. What was going on in the years when the stats drop off like a stone. Bet there were same number of guns.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

venezuelaban.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Canada”