Child dead, 14 in hospital with "Illness of Medical Origin"

coffeeFreak
Guru

Child dead, 14 in hospital with "Illness of Medical Origin"

Post by coffeeFreak »

Curious as to why RCMP Major Crimes Unit is Investigating unless it is protocol for these kinds of situations.

Child dead, 14 others in hospital after Stoney First Nation incident
'Illness of medical origin' tentatively blamed by paramedics as RCMP launch investigation

Carly Stagg · CBC News · Posted: Apr 04, 2018 2:44 PM MT | Last Updated: 10 minutes ago

The RCMP are investigating after a child was found dead Wednesday morning on a Calgary-area First Nation — the victim of what officials are tentatively calling an illness.

Police and paramedics were called to a home on Stoney First Nation just before noon, local time, by reports of two children in medical distress.

When paramedics arrived, they found one child in serious condition, while the other was declared dead at the scene.

A total of 15 other people were found in need of medical attention. Ten were were children, Alberta Health Services said in a tweet. Four adults at the scene was also taken to hospital.

According to Alberta Health Services, the patients presented with "influenza-like symptoms."

'Illness of medical origin'

Officials are still working out what caused the death and hospitalizations, but according to a spokesperson for Emergency Medical Services there are no "concerns of trauma or violence."

"From the presentation of many of the patients that we transported, it seems to be an illness of medical origin, perhaps not necessarily an external factor but that is not yet determined," Stuart Brideaux said.

Brideaux said six ambulances ultimately responded to the scene on Spring Road, and that patients who were assessed as being in stable condition were taken to hospital in groups of three and four.

A relative of the family speaking on behalf of the mother told CBC News all of the kids transported to hospital are siblings who ranged in age from about four months to 21. The family member said it was the baby who died.

RCMP's major crimes unit is investigating.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/stoney-first-nation-children-medical-emergency-1.4605357
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Re: Child dead, 14 in hospital with "Illness of Medical Orig

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

The question I have is, what were they doing in that house? I can't imagine that many in one household becoming ill under normal circumstances.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

coffeeFreak wrote:Curious as to why RCMP Major Crimes Unit is Investigating unless it is protocol for these kinds of situations.

of course it's protocol. Dead infant and a bunch of sick kids.....could very easily be Foodborne which is why they are not being quarantined in hospital.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:The question I have is, what were they doing in that house? I can't imagine that many in one household becoming ill under normal circumstances.

THAT is a very good and valid question? Also, why were there so many children under one roof? 15 kids? Aside from possible food or water contamination, what about the living contamination? Was there clean water? What about asbestos (though highly unlikely), Mercury? CO2, CO?
i would bet that it is something that was new to the home, but there is not enough information available to come to that conclusion.
I still have many questions.
Bring back the LIKE button.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

alanjh595 wrote:
Carrs Landing Viking wrote:The question I have is, what were they doing in that house? I can't imagine that many in one household becoming ill under normal circumstances.

THAT is a very good and valid question? Also, why were there so many children under one roof? 15 kids? Aside from possible food or water contamination, what about the living contamination? Was there clean water? What about asbestos (though highly unlikely), Mercury? CO2, CO?
i would bet that it is something that was new to the home, but there is not enough information available to come to that conclusion.
I still have many questions.

Unfortunately from what I have seen, the Morely reserve has some poor living conditions. Doesn’t surprise me at all there was that many in one house.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Watch it be some crazy toxic mould
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

jimmy4321 wrote:Watch it be some crazy toxic mould

That is my guess. Lots of moisture in the house from all the people and low inside temperature where moisture condenses on the walls... leaking pipe in basement/crawlspace? Naramata fire hall had a leaking pipe in the crawlspace years ago. Lots of mold and then big remediation bill. ( insurance though)
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Emergency Medical Services have ruled out carbon monoxide poisoning or some other toxic substance

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/baby-dead ... -1.3872279
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

From the above link.

While the exact source of the family’s illness has not yet been confirmed, the most recent flu season has been especially dangerous in Alberta. There have been 88 confirmed deaths in the province so far.

Good reason to get the Flu shot.
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Canada”