Sask. Bus Accident

Re: Sask. Bus Accident

Postby generalposter » Apr 30th, 2018, 7:52 am

my5cents wrote:I agree. The police have conducted the scene investigation, the facts gathered have been sent to California for further analysis, as likely have the modules from the vehicles.

We are only 10 days post collision folks.

Also the real resolution, no matter the outcome of the investigation is the court process which will be, what ? a year or more away minimum ?

The question of the civil process is also still up in the air. I'm sure the insurance policy of the trucking company will be drained dry and the company will be dissolved (likely already). With the large amount of donations I don't know how the civil process with adjudicate settlement, if it is even worth while going after the company.

Try 24 days.
Someone has to say it.

2 people like this post.
generalposter
Board Meister

Liked in: 498 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Apr 30th, 2018, 7:54 am

my5cents wrote:We are only 10 days post collision folks

You mean 24 days, right? 30 - 6 = 24
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

2 people like this post.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4081 posts

Postby GordonH » Apr 30th, 2018, 11:02 am

I agree with last 2 posters:
Accident happen April 6th, today is April 30th = will be 24 days at around 4pm local time
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8118 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Fancy » Apr 30th, 2018, 11:16 am

Probably looked at my post when I said the press conference was 10 days ago. The point was there has been an update by officials since the accident.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6714 posts

Postby Fancy » Apr 30th, 2018, 11:21 am

"Intersections such as the one involving the Humboldt bus would never exist on the Trans-Canada so why do they exist in the rest of Sask. Reconsider."

The RCMP is investigating the cause of the crash and is expected to make safety recommendations once the work is complete.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors ... ons-fixed/

What would be considered - an underpass/overpass?
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby my5cents » Apr 30th, 2018, 11:30 am

Fancy wrote:Probably looked at my post when I said the press conference was 10 days ago. The point was there has been an update by officials since the accident.

Thanks Fancy, that's exactly it. It's been 10 days since we last received the information from the police. At that time they said they had conducted 50 interviews with more to come over the "next few weeks"

The modules have been sent to California. Mechanical inspections still hadn't been completed.

In addition to the volumes of information they have and will obtain, who's to know if an avenue of investigation will cause an expansion of the investigation in another direction.

We haven't been told if the California company will be commissioned to correlate the evidence collected, only that they have been sent the modules for interpretation.

It will take time for whoever is going to put together all the evidence and come to a conclusion. Then that information will be sent to Crown for charge approval. Lots of moving parts.

Sorry for the error.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1401 posts

Postby bob vernon » Apr 30th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Intersections like that wouldn't be allowed on the Trans Canada in Saskatchewan. But between Tisdale and Nipawin they are. There's very little traffic out on that road. But that's no excuse for rolling through a stop sign with a semi like in this case. Wrong, wrong. And the driver will surely be charged.

The Crown and RCMP need to get sped up on this case. There's a bunch of posters on the internet who need to start racist flaming. The pressure's building up.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1358 posts

Postby GordonH » Apr 30th, 2018, 7:16 pm

impo I really don't care if the investigators/RCMP have News Conference updates, as long as they keep all the families involved updated on any progresses.
Those are the ones who should be notified first, not the general public.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Urban Cowboy » May 2nd, 2018, 12:37 am

"Intersections such as the one involving the Humboldt bus would never exist on the Trans-Canada so why do they exist in the rest of Sask. Reconsider."

They exist because in a large province of barely over one million population, yet a lot of roads, they can't afford to install an underpass/overpass every place two roads intersect. As has been mentioned many roads don't see significant volume.

The one in question has a stop sign and flashing red light, which to probably 98% of the populace is enough to get the point across that they need to stop. The one alteration they could consider which is relatively inexpensive is rumble strips, though if you've ever driven on Saskatchewan roads in the winter time, you'd know that they'd be fairly useless that time of year.
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 6530 posts

Postby GordonH » May 2nd, 2018, 2:10 am

bob vernon wrote:Intersections like that wouldn't be allowed on the Trans Canada in Saskatchewan. But between Tisdale and Nipawin they are. There's very little traffic out on that road. But that's no excuse for rolling through a stop sign with a semi like in this case. Wrong, wrong. And the driver will surely be charged.

The Crown and RCMP need to get sped up on this case. There's a bunch of posters on the internet who need to start racist flaming. The pressure's building up.

I get the feeling you haven't traveled though Saskatchewan much (not even on the #1). Only areas you will find overpasses over the Trans Canada is in or near Swift Current, Moose Jaw & Regina. Most other main crossroads are similar to this one, no stops signs with flashing lights on the #1 (they generally are on the crossroad, since Trans Canada is 4 lane main highway).
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby RupertBear » May 2nd, 2018, 4:46 am

A couple of quick observations...
From my police contacts on the prairies, this may already be out there, but I’m hearing this was the trucker’s first solo run, after 14 days of training.
Also, following the semi’s route back from where it came from on google earth, he covered miles and miles of road where the stop signs were all on the side roads and not on his route. Could be easy to fall into a false sense of the right-of-way, especially if you are new to the job and unfamiliar with the roads.

generalposter likes this post.
RupertBear
Board Meister

Liked in: 641 posts

Postby Fancy » May 2nd, 2018, 6:23 am

I don't see how one could have a false sense of right of way when approaching an intersection to start with (lots of warnings regarding this even with traffic lights) and especially one with a flashing red light and stop sign.

2 people like this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby generalposter » May 2nd, 2018, 6:46 am

RupertBear wrote:A couple of quick observations...
From my police contacts on the prairies, this may already be out there, but I’m hearing this was the trucker’s first solo run, after 14 days of training.
Also, following the semi’s route back from where it came from on google earth, he covered miles and miles of road where the stop signs were all on the side roads and not on his route. Could be easy to fall into a false sense of the right-of-way, especially if you are new to the job and unfamiliar with the roads.

Good point RB.
Someone has to say it.
generalposter
Board Meister

Liked in: 498 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » May 2nd, 2018, 12:51 pm

RupertBear wrote:A couple of quick observations...

If that proves to be the case, then the first question I'd have to ask is, what the hell is a brand new rookie doing driving a B Train?
If ever there was good cause to rethink the licensing system for big rig drivers, across the whole nation, then this is it.

As to the false sense of right of way I don't buy that for a moment. It's any drivers duty to be aware of their surroundings, and a red flashing light has a universal meaning.

Even when one IS familiar with their surroundings things change at times, such as two way stops becoming four way stops etc.
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 6530 posts

Postby vinnied » May 2nd, 2018, 4:05 pm

RupertBear wrote: following the semi’s route back from where it came from on google earth, he covered miles and miles of road where the stop signs were all on the side roads and not on his route. Could be easy to fall into a false sense of the right-of-way, especially if you are new to the job and unfamiliar with the roads.

Carrot, river where he picked up his load, to the accident scene is approximately 48 clicks.

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
vinnied
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 863 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Canada