Sask. Bus Accident

Re: Sask. Bus Accident

Postby Urban Cowboy » May 2nd, 2018, 8:24 pm

vinnied wrote:
RupertBear wrote: following the semi’s route back from where it came from on google earth, he covered miles and miles of road where the stop signs were all on the side roads and not on his route. Could be easy to fall into a false sense of the right-of-way, especially if you are new to the job and unfamiliar with the roads.

Carrot, river where he picked up his load, to the accident scene is approximately 48 clicks.

Good point, and any driver who can't keep their mind focused on driving, for a mere 48kms which is less than 30 miles, shouldn't be on the road, and least of all operating a big rig with two trailers.

I mean it's not as if there were curves and switchbacks, or steep mountain drop offs to be concerned about, or to blame for being distracted.

I hope it doesn't get revealed that texting was involved.
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 6896 posts

Postby stuphoto » May 2nd, 2018, 10:13 pm

Urban Cowboy wrote:The one alteration they could consider which is relatively inexpensive is rumble strips, though if you've ever driven on Saskatchewan roads in the winter time, you'd know that they'd be fairly useless that time of year.

I would have thought they would be useless in the winter if I hadn't driven over them myself in the worst conditions.
However it turns out you can still feel them through several inches of snow, in every vehicle I have ever driven.
Just head up to Big White during a storm next winter and you will see what I mean when you brush the center or fog lines in some areas. Those larger ones at intersections are even more noticeable.
stuphoto
Board Meister

Liked in: 266 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » May 3rd, 2018, 8:38 pm

stuphoto wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:The one alteration they could consider which is relatively inexpensive is rumble strips, though if you've ever driven on Saskatchewan roads in the winter time, you'd know that they'd be fairly useless that time of year.

I would have thought they would be useless in the winter if I hadn't driven over them myself in the worst conditions.
However it turns out you can still feel them through several inches of snow, in every vehicle I have ever driven.
Just head up to Big White during a storm next winter and you will see what I mean when you brush the center or fog lines in some areas. Those larger ones at intersections are even more noticeable.

Good to know thanks.
I just remembered how bumpy many of the roads get in Sask in the winter time, so figured rumble strips might not do much good.
Main highways were not bad, but on the secondary ones they didn't seem to worry about scraping the ice/hardpack off too much.

Mind you they could install speed bumps like we have in OK Center. I can't see anyone going over those at a healthy clip without losing some teeth. LOL
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey

stuphoto likes this post.
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 6896 posts

Postby averagejoe » May 11th, 2018, 3:04 pm

How's that investigation going? Any word???? :135:
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2773 posts

Postby stuphoto » May 11th, 2018, 10:24 pm

It could easily take them over a year to announce anything Joe,
If they plan on changing the truck driver or trucking company they will want to assure that everything is done properly including all the paperwork.
Assuming they don't just disappear first.

Just look how long it too the Transportation Safety Board to investigate the plane crash that took Jim Prentice's life.

averagejoe likes this post.
stuphoto
Board Meister

Liked in: 266 posts

Postby averagejoe » May 30th, 2018, 8:37 am

Any word on how the investigation is going? :135:
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Postby generalposter » Jun 6th, 2018, 5:09 pm

62 days and not an explanation to be seen. Why are the explanations and answers being suppressed ? Don’t give me any ‘oh look how long aircraft investigations take’ nonsense. The two are not comparable.
Someone has to say it.

averagejoe likes this post.
generalposter
Board Meister

Liked in: 498 posts

Postby averagejoe » Jun 6th, 2018, 5:27 pm

generalposter wrote:62 days and not an explanation to be seen. Why are the explanations and answers being suppressed ? Don’t give me any ‘oh look how long aircraft investigations take’ nonsense. The two are not comparable.

They're going to sweep it under the rug. Just let it drift into a memory. Don't talk about it in the media. Media are closers. Nothing will come of it....

averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Postby oneh2obabe » Jun 6th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Accidents like this can take months before a final determination is made and final results are publicly released.

Only basic details about the fatal April 6 Humboldt Broncos bus crash have been released, and a veteran crash investigator says it can often be weeks before a clear picture surrounding a crash is defined, while more complex investigations can take months to complete.

Brad Muir, a former crash investigator for the Ontario Provincial Police, says there are three key factors crash investigators consider: the vehicles involved, the people involved and the environment, which includes the crash site.

"These are very complex investigations," said Muir, who is not involved in investigating the April 6 crash.

"I would expect the investigators will have a pretty clear picture within the first couple of weeks of the root cause of the collision. But it will take definitely months to tie in all the final loose ends of the pieces. There's just so much to look at."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.4623500
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 6983 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jun 6th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Urban Cowboy wrote: just remembered how bumpy many of the roads get in Sask in the winter time, so figured rumble strips might not do much good. Main highways were not bad, but on the secondary ones they didn't seem to worry about scraping the ice/hardpack off too much.

All of Sask grid roads are one big rumble strip.The washboard is so bad that you have to do 70mph minimum to not rattle your vehicle apart . Maybe having 'smooth' strips near intersections there would be more effective.
Also, the distance the guy travelled (48km?) is not relevant. How long were his last days? Did he get any sleep? Lots of things and answers that people want in a nice tidy little perfect world box,...in a very imperfect, unregulated industry.
More of these kinds of things will happen until the trucking industry has the full on hate of regular citizens...then perhaps things will change.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Liked in: 1020 posts

Postby generalposter » Jun 6th, 2018, 6:14 pm

oneh2obabe wrote:Accidents like this can take months before a final determination is made and final results are publicly released.

Only basic details about the fatal April 6 Humboldt Broncos bus crash have been released, and a veteran crash investigator says it can often be weeks before a clear picture surrounding a crash is defined, while more complex investigations can take months to complete.

Brad Muir, a former crash investigator for the Ontario Provincial Police, says there are three key factors crash investigators consider: the vehicles involved, the people involved and the environment, which includes the crash site.

"These are very complex investigations," said Muir, who is not involved in investigating the April 6 crash.

"I would expect the investigators will have a pretty clear picture within the first couple of weeks of the root cause of the collision. But it will take definitely months to tie in all the final loose ends of the pieces. There's just so much to look at."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.4623500

whoooooosh! You buy this *bleep* just like they expect you to. Read your quote carefully. It’s saying we’ll no the cause within two weeks however we will spend months deciding how to explain it. I’m perplexed that so many people just accept what the government tells them.
Someone has to say it.
generalposter
Board Meister

Postby oneh2obabe » Jun 6th, 2018, 7:19 pm

Not buying into anything. Brad Muir has worked in the capacity of Collision Reconstructionist, Case Manager or lead Technical Collision Investigator on/in excess of 1,000 serious personal injury or fatal motor vehicle collision investigations and was ranked one of the Canada's top investigator until he retired from the police force.

That's not what he's saying. What he said was he would expect a pretty clear picture in the first couple of weeks but, and that's a big BUT - it will definitely take months to tie all the loose ends.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 6983 posts

Postby generalposter » Jun 6th, 2018, 8:04 pm

oneh2obabe wrote:Not buying into anything. Brad Muir has worked in the capacity of Collision Reconstructionist, Case Manager or lead Technical Collision Investigator on/in excess of 1,000 serious personal injury or fatal motor vehicle collision investigations and was ranked one of the Canada's top investigator until he retired from the police force.

That's not what he's saying. What he said was he would expect a pretty clear picture in the first couple of weeks but, and that's a big BUT - it will definitely take months to tie all the loose ends.

Great reply to an aggressive post. You got class lady. My opinion is that details are being held back until the public furor has subsided. I don’t believe it would take this long. Just my opinion though.
Someone has to say it.
generalposter
Board Meister

Postby GordonH » Jun 6th, 2018, 10:05 pm

impo anything short of guilty of not stopping & the killing 16 people, would be pure BS by the crew of investigators.
If it was up to me the driver would receive 16 consecutive served 14 year sentences, eligible for parole after 112 years.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8463 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby my5cents » Jun 7th, 2018, 10:59 am

I don't get all the concern over the time it is taking to investigate this.

The injured are recovering, the dead aren't getting any deader.

The trucking firm has lost it's license to truck.

If anyone is worried about the truck driver being out and about. If he was charged on the day of the crash he still would have been out (Bail Reform Act, look it up) awaiting a trial in a year or so.

The police have examined the scene. Experts have likely examined the truck and bus. Crucial electronics have been retrieved from both vehicles and sent to California for expert examination.

After that everything has to be put together with utmost care and presented to Saskatchewan's Crown for charge approval.

I'd rather a lengthy investigation that convicts the truck driver (if the evidence indicates), than a quick thrown together investigation that has holes in it, just to please impatient bystanders.

The investigation will be complete when it's complete.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

2 people like this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1486 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Canada