Sask. Bus Accident

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Sask. Bus Accident

Post by GordonH »

swanterky wrote:One of the parents, whose name I forget, said that he was there quite shortly after the accident, and that the sun was still high in the sky, so could not have been an issue.

my5cents wrote:Unfortunately in a serious incident like this, crown would need a little more than those observations to prove the sun wasn't in the eyes of the truck driver.

I'm thinking using a similar semi tractor unit at the same time of day. Hopefully they already done it because everyday the sun is in a different position at the same time of day. Perhaps with the assistance of an expert they could provide for that change as well.

Closes location with details on the suns location is Prince Albert SK (roughly 115 Km's as the crow flys, almost directly across)
Checking the date & time about April 6th at 6pm CST, here is a link to the site https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/canada/prince-albert
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:Closes location with details on the suns location is Prince Albert SK (roughly 115 Km's as the crow flys, almost directly across)
Checking the date & time about April 6th at 6pm CST, here is a link to the site https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/canada/prince-albert

Wouldn't it depend on the grade of the roadway, etc ? Thus actually observing the sun from a similar vehicle at the location at the time of day.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Closes location with details on the suns location is Prince Albert SK (roughly 115 Km's as the crow flys, almost directly across)

my5cents wrote:Wouldn't it depend on the grade of the roadway, etc ? Thus actually observing the sun from a similar vehicle at the location at the time of day.

Details on road conditions would be known by those who arrived first on the scene. Now if homeowners in that treed area were home at the time, they had to have heard the crash. Knowing when first responders arrived from Nipawin 23 minutes away, blankets covered those on the bus already (I heard this on video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWyLAMa9Y9M).
So those most likely answered the questioned by the police, of course that info will not be made public anytime soon I'm sure.

Link I posted about the sun would give a idea where the sun was in the sky.

Added later: just knowing they were only 23 minute away from their destination.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:Details on road conditions would be known by those who arrived first on the scene. Now if homeowners in that treed area were home at the time, they had to have heard the crash. Knowing when first responders arrived from Nipawin 23 minutes away....

I don't think there is any argument about the condition of the roadway.

The issue regarding the sun, is that testimony has to be given in court, if the driver says he was blinded by the sun and the police believe he wasn't.

Was the sun so high that it would be above the top of the trucks windshield ?

Was there any incline that would cause the driver to be looking at the sun even though the sun was fairly high in the sky ?

One can't just enter a document created by someone who has calculated that at a town X kms away from the crash scene that the sun would be at X degrees. Would X degrees be in the driver's eyes ???

It doesn't take a lot of work to determine if the sun was in the driver's eyes or not, but it will take a lot of work to gather evidence that will satisfy a court.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Details on road conditions would be known by those who arrived first on the scene. Now if homeowners in that treed area were home at the time, they had to have heard the crash. Knowing when first responders arrived from Nipawin 23 minutes away....

my5cents wrote:I don't think there is any argument about the condition of the roadway.

The issue regarding the sun, is that testimony has to be given in court, if the driver says he was blinded by the sun and the police believe he wasn't.

Was the sun so high that it would be above the top of the trucks windshield ?

Was there any incline that would cause the driver to be looking at the sun even though the sun was fairly high in the sky ?

One can't just enter a document created by someone who has calculated that at a town X kms away from the crash scene that the sun would be at X degrees. Would X degrees be in the driver's eyes ???

It doesn't take a lot of work to determine if the sun was in the driver's eyes or not, but it will take a lot of work to gather evidence that will satisfy a court.

Well, how about missing the warning sign about the stop sign ahead + not seeing red flashing light. The latter one should have been seen some distance back.
As an example: I can see light at Spall rd has red light from Cooper rd, it would stand out even more if it was flashing.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:Well, how about missing the warning sign about the stop sign ahead + not seeing red flashing light. The latter one should have been seen some distance back.
As an example: I can see light at Spall rd has red light from Cooper rd, it would stand out even more if it was flashing.

Don't get me wrong, I know he should have seen the warning sign and the stop sign, unless he was half asleep. The crown, though, will work towards proving every little detail. "He must have seen", or "He should have seen" isn't evidence.

Likely they will detail the road heading towards the stop sign at 35, showing the warning sign at (whatever the distance from the stop sign), then the details of the actual stop sign with the flashing red light, then the location of the sun as it would have been seen from the cab of the truck, considering the height of the driver, the make and model of truck etc
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

my5cents wrote:Don't get me wrong, I know he should have seen the warning sign and the stop sign, unless he was half asleep. The crown, though, will work towards proving every little detail. "He must have seen", or "He should have seen" isn't evidence.

Likely they will detail the road heading towards the stop sign at 35, showing the warning sign at (whatever the distance from the stop sign), then the details of the actual stop sign with the flashing red light, then the location of the sun as it would have been seen from the cab of the truck, considering the height of the driver, the make and model of truck etc

The truck has a really good sun visor as well. keep in mind also the height of the truck and also the driver compared to the flashing light and stop sign. the angle of the stop sign would not have been up, towards the sun, but rather down closer to the ground.
At this point its not even clear if he admitted to blowing through the intersection though. just that the sun was in his eyes. And from what Ive read that was when it first happened and he was talking to an officer. No one knows what hes told the investigators. As far as I know, they are still trying to determine the cause.
2Untitled.jpg
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

No charges will be announced at today's press conference later this morning when RCMP release their update.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The update will be livestreamed at 11 a.m. CST on CBC.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Hopefully the driver of the Semi does the right thing and comes clean on his part of cause of this tragedy.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.4625017

The driver is in regular contact with the RCMP.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Not much from the news conference.... "still under investigation".

They are having the "black boxes" analysed (more common than you think)

They are recreating the collision with like vehicles (good !) I hope they position a similar truck in position at the correct time with the sun shining.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A couple of points:

It was stated the accident occurred at 5 pm so I don't know about the sun (and that would be part of the investigation) being that high in the sky as was mentioned in an earlier post.

The preliminary investigation states the tractor trailer unit was in intersection at time of collision. The question of whether it was turning or not was answered as being under investigation.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Fancy wrote:A couple of points:

It was stated the accident occurred at 5 pm so I don't know about the sun (and that would be part of the investigation) being that high in the sky as was mentioned in an earlier post.

The preliminary investigation states the tractor trailer unit was in intersection at time of collision. The question of whether it was turning or not was answered as being under investigation.

Found this site that tracks sun location https://www.sunearthtools.com/dp/tools/pos_sun.php
So in search window paste this location 53.103772, -104.026564

Then add in year/month/day & the time
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I checked the path and rays. I wouldn't rule out what the driver thought he saw.

Return to “Canada”