Kicked Out Of Class

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Humboldt Broncos Hockey Team Needs Prayers.

Post by oneh2obabe »

Oh yeah ...

MONTREAL—A Quebec high school student who wore a jersey to school to show support for the victims of the crash involving the Humboldt Broncos says he was kicked out of class for his gesture.

Philippe Volek, 14, decided to wear a red and blue soccer shirt to his high school in Ste-Adèle, northwest of Montreal, on Thursday after hearing about a nationwide Jersey Day event to honour the 16 people killed in the Saskatchewan crash.

He said he was motivated to take part because he has a one-hour bus ride to school each day and realizes accidents can happen to anyone.

“If it (were to) happen here, they’d probably do a movement like this and I thought it was important to support the families,” Volek said in a phone interview with The Canadian Press.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... ctims.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4617890

Apparently “Jersey Day” is really just “hockey jersey day” because heaven forbid a fan of sports who rides a bus daily wears a non-hockey related jersey to school on jersey day to honour the victims.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Kicked Out Of Class

Post by Omnitheo »

Jersey Day is really about Hockey Jersey’s. People should only show support or grief in strictly approved methods: Wear Hockey Jersey. Donate to GoFundMe. Pray.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

This pretty much sums it up:
Philippe Volek, 14, wore a soccer jersey to school to show support for the victims of the Humboldt Broncos crash and was suspended for violating the school’s dress code. A school board spokesperson said if the jersey had been a hockey sweater, they would have understood the gesture of the teen, who has a history of trying to avoid the dress code.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 13th, 2018, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Omnitheo wrote:Apparently “Jersey Day” is really just “hockey jersey day” because heaven forbid a fan of sports who rides a bus daily wears a non-hockey related jersey to school on jersey day to honour the victims.

Not sure why you believe that when the kid is non-compliant to start with.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Speaking of being horribly inappropriate, Macleans issued a statement about Nora Loreto, the person who made that disgusting tweet about Humboldt.

Statement from Maclean’s

by Maclean's
Apr 12, 2018

We’d like to clarify that, contrary to misinformation being spread on social media, Nora Loreto has never been an employee of Maclean’s. She is a freelance writer who published one article on our website a few months ago. We had nothing to do with her extraordinarily inappropriate tweet regarding the Humboldt tragedy. We will have nothing else to say on this matter at the current time because we do not wish to distract from the tributes and grief being expressed on behalf of the victims of the accident, nor do we wish to feed into the torrent of abuse that Ms. Loreto has been subjected to since publishing her tweet.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 13th, 2018, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Black Dogs Matter
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Even though Global did post the school's stance that Philippe Volek was not wearing a jersey that had anything do with the tragedy, Global ended the news bit that Volek said he would take the suspension and that he stood by what he did to support Humboldt (words to that effect anyway). Global I believe did a disservice by not repeating what the school had suggested that Volek did not adhere to dress code at the best of times. Either state it all or don't make it an issue at all.
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

“use national tragedies as a reason to stupidly virtue signal and make yourself look like a giant *bleep*”

I was at a charity event last night and several people wore jersey’s that were not hockey related because they didn’t have a hockey jersey to wear but wanted to show support, kind of like when a baseball ,football or basketball player’s show support for a tragedy outside of their realm.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Ranger66 wrote:I was at a charity event last night and several people wore jersey’s that were not hockey related because they didn’t have a hockey jersey to wear but wanted to show support, kind of like when a baseball ,football or basketball player’s show support for a tragedy outside of their realm.

Had Volek made it known what he was going to do and others had joined him, I doubt there would have been this much attention. The fact that he is known to diss a uniform doesn't make him a good ambassador for this particular cause and this wasn't a charity event where people were expected to wear jerseys.

One thing he could have done (as others did) was put the Humboldt's name on his sport uniform. There would have been no "pretext" then.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

BATRA: Social justice warrior misses the boat on Humboldt

http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnist ... n-humboldt
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Ranger66 wrote:“use national tragedies as a reason to stupidly virtue signal and make yourself look like a giant *bleep*”

I was at a charity event last night and several people wore jersey’s that were not hockey related because they didn’t have a hockey jersey to wear but wanted to show support, kind of like when a baseball ,football or basketball player’s show support for a tragedy outside of their realm.

Thanks for that. Not sure what the first statement has to do with the other. My comment (now deleted of course) was related to one poster who seems to have an issue with people who are praying about this accident, and now wants to make silly comments about it in every Humboldt thread.

Glad to hear people showed up to show support. I'm sure some of them even did some praying. That's really good. :up:
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

completely unacceptable.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Apr 13th, 2018, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

yes I do hate this tragedy. What happened is terrible and everyone should hate it. On the topic of this thread though I find it unfortunate though that a student was suspended from school because the jersey they wore wasn’t hockey related. I don’t own a hockey jersey so I wore a different jersey myself.

Return to “Canada”