Kicked Out Of Class

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Kicked Out Of Class

Post by Fancy »

Never assume everyone knows everything that is happening with a major tragedy. That just isn’t reality.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Quebec didn't know but Uganda did? Funny how things can travel worldwide but miss Quebec.

sadam-in-jersey.jpg
13-year-old Sadam Lukwago sharing love for Humboldt from Uganda was posted on social media and shared thousands of times. (Submitted by One4Another International)
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

School just keeps backpeddling. First it’s because it wasn’t a hockey jersey, then it’s because the student supposedly had a history of dress code violations, now they’re claiming they didn’t know about it? Even though their initial statement said it wouldn’t have been an issue if it were a hockey jersey.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

School never backpedalled. Initial reports made mention of his previous efforts to avoid wearing the school uniform and how the school would like to participate as a school regarding this tragedy. Where did you read they didn't know about it? Please post that news item as I have not read it. Not sure what is to be gained by taking my posts out of context either. I never said anything about Quebec not knowing as evidence states the opposite. A lot of assumptions being thrown around. I get why posters are wanting to assume this child did it out of the goodness of his heart, however there will be those who won’t think his actions get a free pass.
Last edited by Fancy on Apr 14th, 2018, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Fancy wrote:Where did you read they didn't know about it?

From a link previously provided ... The school board director describes the event as regrettable after a student was suspended for wearing a sports jersey and says the school would have acted differently had it been aware of Jersey Day.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Okay good - I would assume who provided that information was truly unaware. As I said previous, not everyone would know but I also wouldn't be surprised if someone else knew at the school. Just because a cause is dear to one's heart doesn't mean it is to everyone.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Yet prior to that the school had issued this statement:

"If the student had chosen to wear a Broncos sweater, we would have understood his gesture was noble,'' he said in a phone interview.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

School board director Bernard Dufourd points out that Volek chose to go home of his own accord instead of working with the school to organize a different tribute to the victims.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-scho ... -1.3885194

Don't confuse what the director has said with the school's actions.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Fancy wrote:It's a soccer jersey but zero indication it was in support of the victims.

great point
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

the truth wrote:
Fancy wrote:It's a soccer jersey but zero indication it was in support of the victims.

great point

Yep zero indication.
Except this:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4140354/mont ... t-broncos/

And this:

And this:
He said he was motivated to take part because he has a one-hour bus ride to school each day and realizes accidents can happen to anyone.

"If it [were to] happen here, they'd probably do a movement like this and I thought it was important to support the families," Volek said in a phone interview with The Canadian Press.

But Volek said his teacher sent him to the principal's office for violating the school's dress code.

There, he was given a choice: either replace the jersey with a school-approved polo shirt or accept a suspension from class.

Volek chose to go home.

"I wanted to stay loyal to my beliefs and I want to support [Jersey Day]," he said.

"It's for a good cause and I believe it makes a difference for the families."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

And don't forget this:
The student, who the school board says has a history of dress code violations, wore the soccer top as a “pretext” to avoid the standard attire, a board spokesperson said.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

So because the student potentially once wore something outside the school dress code, that disallows the from participating in a nation-wide show of support for a tragedy?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Omnitheo wrote:So because the student potentially once wore something outside the school dress code, that disallows the from participating in a nation-wide show of support for a tragedy?

This wasn't a case of "potentially once" now was it.
Stating a reason after the fact doesn't look good. If he was the only one - it doesn't look good. Not wanting to participate in how the whole school could participate doesn't look good. He could have done one little thing that would have made sense at the time but he chose not to.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

It is a case though. The only info you have is that “he has a history” which means that at one time during his time at the school he had worn something outside of dress code. Honestly that “history” statement could be applied to many of their students. When I was in high school it was almost daily that girls were being told their shirts were too low cut, or their straps were too thin.

The school has given multiple conflicting statements and it really just sounds like they’re trying to excuse their actions to save face. Meanwhile schools across Montreal happily participated without penalizing their students. At this point the school should just own up to their mistake and strike this from the student’s record.
Last edited by Omnitheo on Apr 14th, 2018, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Omnitheo wrote:It is a case though. The only info you have is that “he has a history” which means that at one time during his time at the school he had worn something outside of dress code. .....The school has given multiple conflicting statements....

Amazing you missed this "violations". That's plural by the way. The school has not given multiple conflicting statements. The director has made some statements - the school is a different entity.

Return to “Canada”