Support or Self Promotion?

gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Support or Self Promotion?

Post by gardengirl »

I have to say the support for Humboldt is starting to look a little more like a worldwide photo op than sincere condolences.
All the businesses that have climbed on the bandwagon, posting on FB, appearing in the news.
It seems to me that this tragedy has become a vehicle for people and businesses to promote themselves. It leaves a bad taste.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Support or Self Promotion?

Post by Urban Cowboy »

There's stuff everywhere, even at Save-On I noticed today.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

hey. dont knock it. businesses need the write offs. especially the religious ones that wont sign for student work funding this summer because of abortion language.........
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

burnedatstake wrote:hey. dont knock it. businesses need the write offs. especially the religious ones that wont sign for student work funding this summer because of abortion language.........

I have no idea what you are talking about. ....Back to the topic...
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
richardclank
Fledgling

Post by richardclank »

I tried to expose this exact same sentiment in the other thread and it wasn't allowed. No one wants to see people die but with this particular tragedy it seems like a lot of people care because it's hockey related and it's easy to get pictures of people together wearing jerseys.

I work at IH and was just sent an e-mail like 10 minutes ago showing various employees wearing jerseys. No mention was made of how to help the families struggling and I wasn't even told about jersey day.

I really have to wonder at what point businesses stop caring about tragedies and just want to look good in the media.

Before people freak out, I always care when people die and always try my best to contribute. I just have a problem with businesses that seem to take advantage of sympathy sales / promotion.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Some people give and you'd never know it, some people give and they'll never let you forget it. Some people will always take the opportunity to put themselves in the spotlight, hop on their high horse and speak of decorum or etiquette.

I personally don't care so long as the need is being met, and people put their money where their mouth is.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

richardclank wrote:I tried to expose this exact same sentiment in the other thread and it wasn't allowed. No one wants to see people die but with this particular tragedy it seems like a lot of people care because it's hockey related and it's easy to get pictures of people together wearing jerseys.

I work at IH and was just sent an e-mail like 10 minutes ago showing various employees wearing jerseys. No mention was made of how to help the families struggling and I wasn't even told about jersey day.

I really have to wonder at what point businesses stop caring about tragedies and just want to look good in the media.

Before people freak out, I always care when people die and always try my best to contribute. I just have a problem with businesses that seem to take advantage of sympathy sales / promotion.

Posting this in the prayer thread would not have been appropriate. Hockey is a big sport in Canada and any tragedy hits home with communities that have an ice rink but this was a big hard hit on multiple families across the country. That's not to say this kind of attention wouldn't have been seen had it happened with a school trip etc. but keep in mind GoFundMe didn't start up until 2010.
Other sports tragedies:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4129961/cana ... ldt-crash/

I expect people want to participate and be included in the help and support no matter where it's coming from. The momentum is rather incredible.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

richardclank wrote:I tried to expose this exact same sentiment in the other thread and it wasn't allowed. No one wants to see people die but with this particular tragedy it seems like a lot of people care because it's hockey related and it's easy to get pictures of people together wearing jerseys.

what gets me is when these people do the jersey pics and they are all smiling. perhaps they didnt realize the gravity of what the sentiment is all about?
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

burnedatstake wrote:what gets me is when these people do the jersey pics and they are all smiling. perhaps they didnt realize the gravity of what the sentiment is all about?
I don't buy that for a second. People smile at funerals too.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

gardengirl wrote:I have to say the support for Humboldt is starting to look a little more like a worldwide photo op than sincere condolences.
All the businesses that have climbed on the bandwagon, posting on FB, appearing in the news.
It seems to me that this tragedy has become a vehicle for people and businesses to promote themselves. It leaves a bad taste.

Seems you are not the only one questioning what's happening:
Are some retailers trying to cash in on the Humboldt tragedy for their own profit?

That is the question being asked as Humboldt Broncos merchandise floods the market.

CTV News found 52 different designs for Humboldt Broncos merchandise and clothing online.

Of those, only one vendor states that a portion of sales will go toward families of the 16 victims who died.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#223696
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

Fancy wrote:I don't buy that for a second. People smile at funerals too.

yep - and people hate it
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Nonsense - been to more than my share where there's something said that was cute or funny regarding the deceased. Nothing wrong with a smile.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

gardengirl wrote:I have to say the support for Humboldt is starting to look a little more like a worldwide photo op than sincere condolences.

I think you're absolutely right. Whatever cause there was it's long gone. Now it's just a reason to wear a jersey and sell your gear.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Participating is in some level enough, at some point these smiling jersey wearers reflected on this tragedy or at least cought some news on it.
They are just showing some support, its not obligatory they mope all day. If these were relations or friends of the victims i could understand, but they are all strangers (that can relate) at some point in life we will all experience it if havent already.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

There were about 4 or 5 jersey wearers at my work a week after the accident. Takes some people some time to catch the news, let it sink in, then decide how they feel about it and how they’ll act. It’s only been a week. It’s also enough time to see a trend and take advantage of it. I’m sure there are those who are profiting from jerseys and shirts and who knows what else. A handful of people are in mourning while the rest of Canada is supporting them in all of our individual ways give or take a few scumballs that wanna make their own $$ from it, like what TH originally planned. I saw a car yesterday on the highway with big letters taped on the back “HUMBOLDT”. I thought that was cool.
I may end up feeling the same way in another week perhaps? But that’s just me.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Canada”