Trudeau nails it on conservative party

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Trudeau nails it on conservative party

Post by The Green Barbarian »

burnedatstake wrote:unseating the liberals federally or the ndp provincially are the 2 last things we should be doing.

lol - that's just ridiculous.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: trudeau nails it on conservative party

burnedatstake wrote:how on gods green earth can you possibly be so disingenuous as to ask that of anyone?

It's not disingenuous and it's stupid to even say this.

did you or have you given trudeau a "fair shake"?

Of course

or horgan?

Since he wasn't elected, and has done one bone head thing after another since usurping power, including making taxpayers pay for his crappy party's expenses, and now he is costing the province mega-millions stupidly trying to block the KM pipeline, he is far past a "fair shake". He needs to resign, immediately.

or anyone who doesnt meet your diatribes? not even 1 in a million.

I don't know what this means, but I assume it's nonsense and will just move on.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Since he wasn't elected, and has done one bone head thing after another since usurping power, including making taxpayers pay for his crappy party's expenses, and now he is costing the province mega-millions stupidly trying to block the KM pipeline, he is far past a "fair shake". He needs to resign, immediately.

im confused.......horgan was indeed elected. and was successful in negotiating an alliance with the green party. as such he was able to implement mechanisms in our bc constitution that facilitated him being our elected leader and premier. he with the 3 seats he negotiated for - has a majority. he isnt myopically blocking the pipeline at all. he is forcing dialogue with ottawa about sovereignty and provincial rights. and exposing how alberta manipulates canadian policy. he is also leveraging for provincial scope over spills and potential disasters. he is simply forcing many of the issues that our country is having to face going forward regarding provincial - central federal power. and i say more power to him. besides. his supposed "mega millions' is only a drop in the bucket in comparison to the billions that the liberals squandered and wasted while in power. with nothing to show for it besides knee capped icbc and hydro among many other things. how could we have possibly had balanced budgets and surpluses and crippled crown entities? that makes no sense. kinder morgan is blocking themselves. they had conditions they had to meet and complete. they chose to move forward without meeting the obligations. thus the blame lands squarely at the feet of kinder morgan. its too easy for people to blame horgan for the pipeline issue. and as a right wing supporter who likes things easy - i suppose thats why you blame him.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

burnedatstake wrote:
im confused.......

Ditch your evil communist views...that should help with the confusion....

horgan was indeed elected. .

No, he indeed was not.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Interesting points, Climate Change, Veterans Pension and Pipelines. What has Trudeau done about these matters himself?

Even his big proposed balanced budget is no where near a balance.

What a joke, he thinks he is on Comedy Hour and the room full of fools were likely there for the free meal which was served before he came on stage.

I do hope people in the upcoming election truly look at what he has done for CANADA. In reality, he doesn't have a lot to show for.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#224413

This was supposed to be 10 Billion. The only Con job here is the lying Liberals.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

handing out are money like its free candy, like i said trudeau is are trump
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Although I share Omnitheo's disapproval (on previous page) of some of the things that happened under Harper's watch, they are not a defense against the similarly bad things that have happened under Trudeau's watch. Two wrongs don't make one right.

Also, in fairness to Harper, it wasn't him personally that did the things Omnitheo refers to. Whereas in Trudeau's case, it most definitely was. And, as the Leader, he should be held to an even higher standard than those whom he leads.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

That a boy Justin Defect ,Defect,Defect still blaming Harper for all your :cuss: issues . I think your just a little bit worried about that the hard working voting class people of Canada are starting to see thought your BS smoke , mirror + rainbow pony show .
Even CBC has had a few negative comment and shows about your lack of performance of running this great country .
Last edited by blueliner on Apr 23rd, 2018, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I note in that article the OP posted that Trudeau believes it was Conservative policy rather than Harper's personal disposition that cost the Cons the election. But I disagree.

Many erstwhile Conservative supporters (myself included) couldn't bring themselves to vote for a Party whose Leader had become arrogant, and appeared uninterested in the will of the people. Even if that Party had many policies we supported.

I didn't vote for Trudeau, but many of those who did were attracted to his "sunny ways" and stated willingness to govern on behalf of ALL Canadians - not just his base. Yet once elected, he and his Party quickly became just as arrogant, and just as uninterested in the views of those outside of his base, as the governing Cons had been under Harper's leadership.

Consequently, I believe that many who switched their votes last election, will reconsider next time and switch back to the Cons.
Because with Harper's perceived arrogance now out of the equation, those voters will refocus on the Conservative policies they liked and voted for in the past.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

If the Libs continue down this foolhardy path, Scheer and the Cons will be a "shoe in".

A new analysis by the parliamentary budget officer estimates Ottawa will post a $22.1-billion shortfall this fiscal year, which would be $4 billion more than the government's projection of $18.1 billion in its February budget.

For 2019-20, Jean-Denis Frechette's team predicts a $21.4-billion deficit, $3.9 billion higher than the government's forecast of $17.5 billion.

The report says the more-substantial deficit projections are mainly caused by higher then expected costs for the government from public debt charges, direct program expenses and children's benefits.

The budget office also estimates there is approximately a five per cent chance the federal budget will be balanced or will show a surplus in 2020-21.

A 5% chance is as good as saying there is "no chance".
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Merry wrote:Although I share Omnitheo's disapproval (on previous page) of some of the things that happened under Harper's watch, they are not a defense against the similarly bad things that have happened under Trudeau's watch. Two wrongs don't make one right.

Also, in fairness to Harper, it wasn't him personally that did the things Omnitheo refers to. Whereas in Trudeau's case, it most definitely was. And, as the Leader, he should be held to an even higher standard than those whom he leads.

Nor was it Trudeau personally who invited a felon to pose at an event. Hasn’t stopped people in this thread from claiming such.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
burnedatstake wrote:
im confused.......

Ditch your evil communist views...that should help with the confusion....

horgan was indeed elected. .

No, he indeed was not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langford-Juan_de_Fuca

Party Candidate Votes %
New Democratic John Horgan 12,144 52.78
Liberal Cathy Noel 6,062 26.35
Green Brendan Ralfs 4,341 18.87
Libertarian Scott Burton 238 1.03
Vancouver Island Party Willie Nelson 222

Ditch your evil denialist views. That should help with being less wrong.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Omnitheo wrote:Nor was it Trudeau personally who invited a felon to pose at an event. Hasn’t stopped people in this thread from claiming such.

That's probably true, but it was definitely Trudeau who went to India looking like "Mr Dressup", and embarrassed Canada in the process.

If a foreign leader showed up here dressed in some kind of indigenous ceremonial attire it would most likely be viewed in a very poor light. Such an action could be seen as cultural appropriation, or condescending, or even racist, depending on your point of view. But it certainly wouldn't be applauded.

And it was Trudeau who made the decision to ask a billionaire, who was in the process of lobbying the Canadian Government at the time, for a free holiday. Making Trudeau the ONLY Prime Minister to ever be found guilty of conflict of interest (not once, but four times).
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Merry wrote:If the Libs continue down this foolhardy path, Scheer and the Cons will be a "shoe in".

A new analysis by the parliamentary budget officer estimates Ottawa will post a $22.1-billion shortfall this fiscal year, which would be $4 billion more than the government's projection of $18.1 billion in its February budget.

For 2019-20, Jean-Denis Frechette's team predicts a $21.4-billion deficit, $3.9 billion higher than the government's forecast of $17.5 billion.

The report says the more-substantial deficit projections are mainly caused by higher then expected costs for the government from public debt charges, direct program expenses and children's benefits.

The budget office also estimates there is approximately a five per cent chance the federal budget will be balanced or will show a surplus in 2020-21.

A 5% chance is as good as saying there is "no chance".

One needs to recognize that while the Conservatives preach being fiscally conservative, the Harper years were characterized by wholly unnecessary and profligate tax expenditures that hang over into today. IF Harper and crew had been less profligate, and left the financial structures of government as they inherited from Paul Martin, then there would be no deficit today. Last estimate I saw that Harper's mostly vote buying and donor rewarding tax expenditures reduced federal revenues by the equivalent of $30 billion today.

The thing about spending programs is that you can reduce them, especially capital expenditure programs like infrastructure spending. There comes a point where basic programs that people benefit from and need every day are cut to the point of negative effects that they won't put up with.

The thing about tax expenditures is that they are the most difficult thing to reverse from a political standpoint.

The Trudeau Liberals have responded to the first thing, which is restoring programs to the point where they meet the expectations of most Canadians. The Trudeau Liberals have made only baby steps in reversing the profligate tax expenditures of prior decade - and for that, I fault them.

I am not saying that all of those tax expenditures should or could be reversed, however about 1/2 or 2/3 should be. There is something "off" about a taxation system that makes it such that someone relatively well off, like myself, pays $0 in federal income tax...

So we have two primary political parties, the Liberals and Conservatives, that I am afraid will not address the fundamental structural problems of government finances. The other parties are even worse, with non of them really having anything but broken down slogans driven by ideologies.

The Liberal party came close to at least addressing one of the tax revenues issues as a resolution aimed at going after offshore tax havens nearly made through - so there are a lot of Liberals that have concerns about the tax revenues/fairness issues. I doubt that the Conservative party will do much better, we will see what their convention comes up with soon.

I would not, however, be willing to bet that the Conservative party will have any reversals of the somewhat reckless tax expenditures of the past decade on their agenda.

Without increasing revenues, the fiscal position of the federal government is that the books won't balance at the same time as the expected level of services is maintained. We were there under the Chretien/Martin governments, but it was a tough slog to get there. Harper undid all that slogging very quickly... sigh.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “Canada”