Taxpayers to Fund Pipeline

blue iguana
Fledgling

Re: Taxpayers to Fund Pipeline

Post by blue iguana »

Interesting article.

Kinder Morgan Bait & Switch: Backdoor pipeline to Washington State refineries could save Trans Mountain Expansion
http://commonsensecanadian.ca/kinder-mo ... expansion/

<snip>
This suggested “redesign” to benefit Washington’s major refineries may have been the plan all along, or at least since November 15, 2016 when Gunton’s former boss – B.C.’s former premier Mike Harcourt – suggested that Kinder Morgan and the federal Liberals “consider an alternate route” to avoid Kinder Morgan’s Westridge Terminal in Burnaby. Even before Trudeau had given federal approval to Kinder Morgan’s expansion project, Harcourt was here urging that the tarsands diluted bitumen (dilbit) be shipped “to either Deltaport or just across the B.C.-Washington state border to the Cherry Point refinery” in order to avoid “insurrection” in B.C.

The Trans Mountain pipeline has a southern leg – called Puget Sound Pipeline – which splits off at Kinder Morgan’s Sumas Terminal in Abbotsford, B.C. and delivers tar sands dilbit to several refineries in Washington State, including the Ferndale Refinery (owned by Phillips 66), the Cherry Point Refinery (owned by BP), the Andeavor Anacortes Refinery (now owned by Marathon Petroleum), and the Shell Anacortes Refinery (owned by Shell Oil).

The Puget Sound Pipeline currently has a capacity of 170,000 barrels per day (bpd), but in the documents filed for its IPO in May 2017, Kinder Morgan indicated that they want to significantly increase that amount, according to Sven Biggs of Stand.earth’s Bellingham, Washington office.

That finding seems to have been part of the reason that the local council of Whatcom County (located in the northwest corner of Washington State), voted 6-1 in June 2017 to effectively put a moratorium on the export of unrefined oil and coal from their area. But refined oil products are allowed in order to protect the hundreds of highly-paid refinery jobs in the state.

Oddly, none of the press coverage of Washington State Governor Jay Inslee’s visit to B.C. in November 2017 mentioned Kinder Morgan’s Puget Sound Pipeline. Inslee had expressed concerns about the Trans Mountain expansion project in terms of ocean oil tanker spills and threats to whales in the region, but apparently no reporter asked him about the southern leg of the project which brings dilbit to Washington’s refineries.

<snip>
But it must be said that Gov. Inslee’s May 30 op-ed mentions resistance only to oil transport “by rail and by sea”. Transport of dilbit by the Puget Sound Pipeline goes unmentioned, as does future export and transport of refined gasoline from Washington’s refineries by tanker and barge.

As usual, we are being “played.” Stay tuned.
No matter how talented, rich or intelligent you are, how you treat animals tells me all I need to know about you.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

https://www.ctvnews.ca/qp/

Interesting to watch Jagmeet, the so called leader of the federal NDP, dance himself into a corner about the pipeline. Jagmeet talks about the importance of Canadian jobs blah, blah, blah when asked about the Liberal stance in fighting Trump, and says we should be fighting and he supports the fight.

Then Evan asks him, that in view of that, and that the Americans control 99% of our oil exports, does that change his stance on the TMX?

Then Jagmeet quickly changes hats, and becomes Jagmeet the leader of the LEAP fools party. Blather, blather, blather "wind and solar" blather blather "wind and solar".

Evan says what about the hundreds of thousands of Canadian workers dependent on our oil industry? Jagmeet: blather, blather, blah, blather... "wind and solar" ... blather, blather LEAP fool manifesto talk...

Yup, so the fool Jagmeet and his LEAP party are playing right into Trump's grubby little hands.

Beware folks, the "NDP" is no longer the "working people's" NDP, it is now the LEAP party.

ETA for clarity, wind and solar don't work for grid applications. https://stopthesethings.com/2017/12/02/guilty-subsidised-wind-solar-drive-australias-rocketing-retail-power-prices/
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Another reason for pipelines instead of rail use.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 724618002/
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Another approval for start of terminal construction in Burnaby.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.4719372
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Anyone still opposed to pipelines?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.4719569

Man you must be dumb.

Pardon me for the redundant link.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

normaM wrote:Image

Photoshop garbage only weakens your already pathetic argument.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

er you realize it is prolly the most classic meme ever.
Weakens my argument? lol Just because you own a gas can doesn't make one an expert
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

hey now. these MBA wannabe geniuses who know how things work - are saving us plebes from ourselves for themselves. its a knight in shining armor thing for society.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

burnedatstake wrote:hey now. these MBA wannabe geniuses who know how things work - are saving us plebes from ourselves for themselves. its a knight in shining armor thing for society.

WHAT? I don't understand your comment.
Bring back the LIKE button.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

alanjh595 wrote:
burnedatstake wrote:hey now. these MBA wannabe geniuses who know how things work - are saving us plebes from ourselves for themselves. its a knight in shining armor thing for society.

WHAT? I don't understand your comment.

Quel surprise !
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

do you mean
Quel surprise or Quelle surprise? I like sorpresa myself.
Still don't think this Pipeline going to happen. A pipe dream if you will :)
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

For the record, I'm a big fan of the NEB and have always been in favour of blowing vast amounts of cash on Kinder Morgan's pipe dream...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.4715921

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. K?

:biggrin:
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Snman wrote:Anyone still opposed to pipelines?

Man you must be dumb.

Any chance you could draw me a diagram or something? I'm totally not seeing the connection between the train in Iowa and the pipeline in BC?
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Drip_Torch wrote:
Snman wrote:Anyone still opposed to pipelines?

Man you must be dumb.

Any chance you could draw me a diagram or something? I'm totally not seeing the connection between the train in Iowa and the pipeline in BC?

Here's the connection as I see it: 'Oil' spill from train/'oil' spill from pipeline; potaytoes/potahtoes.

Return to “Canada”