Trudeau fined in ANOTHER ethics scandal

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Trudeau fined in ANOTHER ethics scandal

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Friday, June 22, 2018

PM Pays $100 Ethics Penalty

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has been fined $100 for another breach of Parliament’s ethics code, this time involving a gift from the Premier of Prince Edward Island. Neither the breach nor fine were disclosed until Parliament prepared to adjourn for summer recess.

snip

Trudeau was censured for failing to disclose a 2017 gift from P.E.I. Premier Wade MacLauchlan, two pairs of leather-covered aviator sunglasses valued at some $700. The glasses were donated by an Island manufacturer, Fellow Earthlings Co. of Guernsey Cove, P.E.I.

Under the Conflict Of Interest Act all public office holders must disclose within 30 days any gifts valued at $200 or more. The Prime Minister paid his fine on June 18, nearly a year after skipping the deadline.

Trudeau was photographed wearing the handout eyewear on a subsequent 2017 visit to Vietnam. Staff blamed a clerical mistake for the breach of the Act.

“This was a gift from the Premier of Prince Edward Island,” said Secretary Catenaro. “As a result of administrative error, the proper forms were not completed and the gift was not declared within 30 days.”

Catenaro declined further comment. Premier MacLauchlan’s office did not elaborate. “The Premier is always pleased to showcase locally-made products,” said Mary Moszynski, spokesperson.

The Act permits modest fines up to $500. Penalties are typically nominal. Finance Minister Bill Morneau in 2017 was fined $200 for failing to disclose all his corporate directorships.

James Fitz-Morris, a former CBC reporter now director of communications for the Minister of Crown-Indigenous Affairs, was fined $200 for failing to sell penny stock in a Peruvian potash company. Dan Brien, communications director for the Minister of Public Safety, was fined $100 for ignoring repeated requests from the Ethics Commissioner to sell investments in a U.S. real estate fund. “I told them, ‘Oh, gosh, I’m sorry,'” Brien said in an earlier interview.

Commissioner Mario Dion in a March 7 letter to the Commons ethics committee sought amendments to the Act that would allow for stiffer penalties. “This would help to build trust with the Canadian public,” wrote Dion.

Trudeau’s sunglasses fine came six months after he was cited for accepting a $215,000 vacation on a private Bahamian island owned by the Aga Khan. The Prime Minister apologized for the holiday with family, staff and friends over Christmas 2016.

The Conflict Of Interest Code For MPs prohibits legislators from accepting gifts that “might reasonably be seen to have given to influence them in the exercise of an official power, duty or function.” The Aga Khan Foundation has received $330 million in federal grants since 1981.

“Neither Mr. Trudeau nor his family should have vacationed on the Aga Khan’s private island,” said the December 20 Trudeau Report by the ethics office; “Mr. Trudeau has a number of official dealings relating to the Aga Khan and his institutions where he was exercising an official power, duty or function.”

https://www.blacklocks.ca/pm-pays-100-ethics-penalty/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Trudeau fined in ANOTHER ethics scandal

Post by Queen K »

The horse is dead. No amount of beating it will bring it back.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

Oh Wow! A whole 100 dollar fine for accepting a pair of $700 sunglass. Have you checked out our neighbor's President? He and family have ripped off their country for millions of dollars. He has embaressed and disgraced his country in front of the world with his moral ineptitude, greed, stupidity and corruption. JT looks like a saint compared to Trump, Putin , Kim Jong Un, Maduro or Duterte.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Crying wolf again, keep it up :up:
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Does no one else think that the leader of our country, the person who leads the creation of our laws should not follow them. Should he not be the one setting the example no matter how minor it seems. When I was safety officer and union rep I made sure that I set an example for everyone around me. I felt there was no way I could break rules and then lead the enforcement of them on others. To me ethics is one of the most important things for a person in a position of power. Without ethics what has a leader got. Okay, I know we are dealing with politicians but that does not mean they should get a free pass. It means that we should be that much harder on them. I also don't see why what other leaders do has anything to do with it. They are not our voice to the world. Besides why would we want to lower ourselves to the level of any of the ones mentioned earlier or even be compared to them.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

He should have had to pay the full cost or nothing, a hundred dollars is nothing to a millionaire. Fine looking sunnies tho.
Please stop trying to discourage Gone Fishing from his Quest, only a matter of time til he digs up some real dish on T2.
Everyone, even the PM has secrets
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A clerical error is a clerical error - it's been dealt with.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

True but then what was the holiday. That one is pretty hard to forget LOL. This is like following too close, speeding, talking on cellphones, drinking and driving, always lots of excuses but no real reason. JT is supposedly a big boy, he should know and remember if he wants a position with all that responsibility.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

One shouldn't have to micromanage clerical staff. Trudeau is no different than anyone else that depends on others to do what they were hired to do. I think the sunglasses issue is making a mountain out of molehill.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I understand what you are saying but sometimes people have to just be better. I was on the fire crew after a minor switching error(luckily I was not involved), but that one wrong little button did about 200 million dollars damage. No one lost their job but if he had done it again in 6 months like JT did he would have been looking for a job in a different industry. Errors happen but there would not have been an error if JT had not taken the gift or when he did knowing it was wrong and not normal saw to it that it was handled correctly. To me JT just seems to shrug these things off and go on to the next one, not good judgement as far as I am concerned.

Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

Fancy wrote:One shouldn't have to micromanage clerical staff. Trudeau is no different than anyone else that depends on others to do what they were hired to do. I think the sunglasses issue is making a mountain out of molehill.

There to many mole hills to ignore, JT is building his own mountain.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

At least when Trudeau didn’t repeatedly close parliament to shrug off rules...
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Centurion
Board Meister

Post by Centurion »

I am no fan of the Clown Prince of Politics, but this is a big nothing burger. I suspect this might even be manufactured outrage from the liberals in hopes of minimizing more serious scandals by showing how crazy conservatives get over something as trivial as this sunglasses scandal.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

And yet, here we are: another thread on JT. [icon_lol2.gif]
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Fancy wrote:A clerical error is a clerical error - it's been dealt with.

How many "clerical errors" does he get a free pass on. It feels more like he and his staff simply find being given things a right not a wrong.

Queen K wrote:And yet, here we are: another thread on JT. [icon_lol2.gif]

Sadly he keeps offending people will keep pointing it out, and we get another thread. It could be prevented if he simply behaved like a better person. I agree that this is certainly a small amount and rather immaterial in cost, however there certainly is a stretching list that shows a pattern of behavior.

I'll be honest I did have hopes for the Liberals, but under trust fund PM it's been more of a spending spree and self entitlement.

Return to “Canada”