Greyhound Ending Services in Western Canada

OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Greyhound Ending Services in Western Canada

Post by OKkayak »

GordonH wrote:Okay, show me Kelowna to Vancouver (or any of lower mainland area). I know you pointed out other area (i.e kelowna to Kamloops)... by the way how much baggage is aloud if any.
Let say someone was going to visit for week+

If you want to go from Kelowna to Vancouver, there are three airlines that have multiple flights a day and are more than happy to accommodate you.

If you want to go from smaller communities to larger cities, which seems to be what all the hoopla is about, then I suggest you check out BC Transit's webpage and browse through them yourself. There are several services provided that connect small towns with cities like Kelowna, Kamloops, Nelson, Castlegar, Price George, Prince Rupert, Penticton, Vernon and on and on.

Just a couple of samples for you:

Kamloops:
https://bctransit.com/kamloops/schedule ... onnections

Pentiction:
https://www.bctransit.com/south-okanaga ... onnections
https://www.bctransit.com/south-okanaga ... s-and-maps

As for baggage, I'm sure that the small handful of people who were taking Greyhound didn't have that much in luggage.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

vegas1500 wrote:It’s funny when services have been around for many many years people start to think it’s their right to have these services.

Its even funnier because those with the loudest voices "demanding" the service are the ones who never even used it in the first place LOL!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Okay, show me Kelowna to Vancouver (or any of lower mainland area). I know you pointed out other area (i.e kelowna to Kamloops)... by the way how much baggage is aloud if any.
Let say someone was going to visit for week+

OKkayak wrote:If you want to go from Kelowna to Vancouver, there are three airlines that have multiple flights a day and are more than happy to accommodate you Very pricy for usual greyhound crowd i.e grandma on a fixed income
Bus $69 dollars return to Chilliwack.... by air to Abbotsford $190 (exact same time period)

If you want to go from smaller communities to larger cities, which seems to be what all the hoopla is, then I suggest you check out BC Transit's webpage and browse through them yourself. There are several services provided that connect small towns with cities like Kelowna, Kamloops, Nelson, Castlegar, Price George, Prince Rupert, Penticton, Vernon and on and on.

So I went to BC Transit to put this to a test:
Quesnel to Prince George.... sorry no go (unless I was looking in wrong area)

Now Bus BC covers PR to PG to Valemount & north to Ft Nelson
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Good to know, thank-you Okkayak. So this is not BC Transit, it's via the Health Authority.

Eligibility for this service wrote:Need Help?
Our team is at your service Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to help with questions or booking issues. Please call 1-888-647-4997

Who can use Northern Health Connections?

● Northern residents who have to travel outside their home community for non-emergency health care. If you are travelling for an appointment, you will have to fill out an Appointment Verification Form.
● Northern residents who need to get home after travelling by ambulance to another community.
● People with mobility challenges. All buses are wheelchair/mobility accessible and include lifts and accessible washrooms.
● Anyone 60 years or older.
● A travel companion can travel with you if you need support - See the Companions page for details.
● Compassion companion travel for immediate family who have to support family members who require health care services outside of their home community.

**People with medical appointments, require the use of mobility lifts, and companions required to assist travel will receive priority for reservations**

Other requirements:
● You must not need ongoing medical care during the trip.
● You must have a valid BC CareCard or BC Services Card.
● Passengers younger than 18 must travel with a companion who has written permission to travel with them, or a parent or legal guardian.
● Passengers aged 18 and older must carry photo ID.
● Companions must also carry photo ID.
● You will be required to either complete and employment verification form, or provide a reason for travel.

So wonder if just going to visit family... or shopping in Vancouver would qualify.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

GordonH wrote:Good to know, thank-you Okkayak. So this is not BC Transit, it's via the Health Authority.

The respective health authorities contract the work out to vendors, BC Transit being the biggest contractor in BC.

GordonH wrote:So wonder if just going to visit family... or shopping in Vancouver would qualify.

In the case of BC Transit, if there is room (which there usually is) the service is open to everyone as I posted earlier. However, if you're going to Vancouver to shop or visit, that hardly justifies the argument that the service is needed.

Also, keep in mind that bus services in BC are regulated, so if someone wants to operate runs (which I'm sure some have expressed interest in and possibly even put a bid in) they're at the mercy of the Government in which runs they can operate on. This is one of the other reasons why Greyhound was losing so much money in this Province, in order to operate a more profitable route, they also had to operate money loosing routes. Having said that, with the increasing number of cheaper air fares, even the profitable routes are losing ridership.

First Group has been loosing too much money from unprofitable divisions such as Greyhound that they are now strapped for cash. They approached an equity firm for a cash injection but it fell through. They've reached a possible deal with another firm, however I suspect that one of the conditions they need to agree to is that they have to shed the money losers first.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Good to know, thank-you Okkayak. So this is not BC Transit, it's via the Health Authority.

OKkayak wrote:The respective health authorities contract the work out to vendors, BC Transit being the biggest contractor in BC.

This company took over fo BC Transit http://www.pwt.ca
What I posted earlier are the actual Eligibility requirements, according to Northern Health Connections. Its all right in there website https://nhconnections.ca

GordonH wrote:So wonder if just going to visit family... or shopping in Vancouver would qualify.

OKkayak wrote:In the case of BC Transit, if there is room (which there usually is) the service is open to everyone as I posted earlier. However, if you're going to Vancouver to shop or visit, that hardly justifies the argument that the service is needed.
Well, as I been saying those currently using greyhound are using it to visit or shop, not necessity for medical proposes
Also, keep in mind that bus services in BC are regulated, so if someone wants to operate runs (which I'm sure some have expressed interest in and possibly even put a bid in) they're at the mercy of the Government in which runs they can operate on. This is one of the other reasons why Greyhound was losing so much money in this Province, in order to operate a more profitable route, they also had to operate money loosing routes. Having said that, with the increasing number of cheaper air fares, even the profitable routes are losing ridership.

First Group has been loosing too much money from unprofitable divisions such as Greyhound that they are now strapped for cash. They approached an equity firm for a cash injection but it fell through. They've reached a possible deal with another firm, however I suspect that one of the conditions they need to agree to is that they have to shed the money losers first.

Northern Health Connections is not BC Transit (look in the blue above)
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

GordonH wrote:
Northern Health Connections is not BC Transit (look in the blue above)

Where did I say it was?

I've given you various avenues to explore and research, but I'm not going to continue entertaining your theoretical scenarios of "what about from here to here?" or "what if someone wants to do this?". I don't have the answers for every little example you want to ask. All I can continue to say is that there are several Government subsidies runs though out the Province connecting several smaller communities with larger cities and the most of these are operated by BC Transit. I choose to highlight the words "several" and "most" just to clarify to you that I have never said or insinuated that all communities are linked nor that all runs are operated by BC Transit.

Its obvious that there are simply not enough people to go "from here to here" or because "what if they want to do this?" to operate a viable and profitable busing service in this Province. For the very few people this effects, well, they're more than free to look at other options just like everyone else does.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Northern Health Connections is not BC Transit (look in the blue above)

OKkayak wrote:Where did I say it was?

OKkayak wrote:In the case of BC Transit, if there is room (which there usually is) the service is open to everyone as I posted earlier.

I was talking about the service you posted here (& how it's not BC Transit)

So BC Transit does not have a service from north central BC to lower mainland, but Northern Health Connections does have a service its just not for everyone.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Todays G and M had a well thought out Op piece by a woman saying the cutting of the Greyhound routes will impact Indigenous women, putting them and other hitchhikers at greater risk
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

GordonH wrote:
So BC Transit does not have a service from north central BC to lower mainland, but Northern Health Connections does have a service its just not for everyone.

T i t for tat Gordon, t i t for tat. I’ve demonstrated that there are other options available, no where did I say they were perfect nor that they will satisfy everyone.

The answer to your question is a phone call away.
Last edited by OKkayak on Jul 11th, 2018, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

normaM wrote:Todays G and M had a well thought out Op piece by a woman saying the cutting of the Greyhound routes will impact Indigenous women, putting them and other hitchhikers at greater risk

I read the article and stopped taking it seriously here:

Connie Deiter, a Cree woman from Regina, has since filed a human-rights complaint, alleging that the Saskatchewan government’s decision discriminates against Indigenous women.
Last edited by OKkayak on Jul 11th, 2018, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

these people just kill me
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:So BC Transit does not have a service from north central BC to lower mainland, but Northern Health Connections does have a service its just not for everyone.

OKkayak wrote:T i t for tat Gordon, t i t for tat. I’ve demonstrated that there are other options available, no where did I say they were perfect nor that they will satisfy everyone.

The answer to your question is a phone call away.

I haven't used a greyhound in 3+ decades. I either drive or fly, since I have the financial resources to do so.

But at least I am fully aware that not everyone is in that place or ability to do so.

So bringing to light actual useable options that people from all levels of financial abilities could use.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I agree with the woman who filed the complain.
hmm, Don't recall, how many missing MEN on the highway of Tears?
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “Canada”