Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby Merry » Aug 27th, 2018, 11:12 am

Poindexter wrote:Then surely you can see the double standard being applied where what JT did was a molehill in comparison.

2 wrongs do not make 1 right.

If it was wrong for the authorities to harass people simply because of their political beliefs at one event, then it is equally wrong to do the same at another event.

Condoning the wrong doing at this most recent rally simply because it only involved one person as opposed to many, or because the level of harassment was "not as bad" is a silly argument.

The bottom line is that our authority figures (including the police and our Prime Minister) should not be allowed to harass people simply because they are expressing views, or are members of organizations, the authority figures disapprove of.

Once we begin making exceptions to that rule (because we happen to share the authorities views about that particular citizen), it's a slippery slope.


First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Merry
Guru
 
Posts: 8938
Likes: 8163 posts
Liked in: 7433 posts
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:41 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby rustled » Aug 27th, 2018, 11:28 am

Omnitheo wrote:Rustled do try to keep up with the conversation. It was suggested that Trudeau and the RCMP may have known about who the woman was, hence why there was discussion as to why they might have known, and how the RCMP and other agencies are tracking such groups and threatening comments online.

You’re going to great lengths to try to twist what was said in order to defend this deplorable woman.

Her question may have been minor, but her overall intentions are not. Canada is a nation built by immigrants. A nation of tolerance, and racism has no place here, regardless of whatever thin veils you throw over it. You can disagree with the PM all you want, but he’s not wrong, nor was this bigot’s opinion being silenced. She was simply called out for what she is. She’s free to continue sharing her hateful opinions online and in public, but you have to expect that if you are going to heckle at an appearance of a high profile member of society, you are likely going to be escorted away. Thankfully we live in a country where tHe response to such an encounter is the PM exercising his own free speech, as opposed to below the border where audience members were encouraged to assault any dissidents, or Russia or China, or Saudi Arabia where this woman may not be seen from again.

Interesting new twist.

For the record: Not once have I defended the woman.

You continue to use speculation defend JT's actions, and the actions of the RCMP. Flimsy speculation at that. You're welcome to it. I needn't swallow what you're dishing out.

You continue to deflect to other issues, as are others here, rather than simply admit JT should have handled the situation the same way he handles pipeline protesters. He chose not to, or slipped up. Either way, JT made a mistake.

There's a reason you keep doing what you doing: you don't want people to think badly of any of JT's actions and reactions, including this one.

It's not lost on me that some folk are unable to allow any criticism of the person they most support. This isn't a quality one should aspire to, IMO.

2 people like this post.
rustled
Guru
 
Posts: 7108
Likes: 11421 posts
Liked in: 9061 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby Poindexter » Aug 27th, 2018, 11:31 am

Merry:Once we begin making exceptions to that rule (because we happen to share the authorities views about that particular citizen), it's a slippery slope.


Well then I guess we'll see if this opens the floodgates to JT's clamping down on freedom of opinion. Until then let's keep vigilant but move on with our lives.
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
 
Posts: 5984
Likes: 3986 posts
Liked in: 4550 posts
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby Merry » Aug 27th, 2018, 11:39 am

Poindexter wrote:Well then I guess we'll see if this opens the floodgates to JT's clamping down on freedom of opinion. Until then let's keep vigilant but move on with our lives.

In other words, you think we should simply ignore it when authority figures use their position to try to intimidate people into not expressing their political views, or not asking difficult questions.

Do you really believe that? Or do you only believe it when the authority figure in question is someone whose views you share?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Merry
Guru
 
Posts: 8938
Likes: 8163 posts
Liked in: 7433 posts
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:41 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby the truth » Aug 27th, 2018, 11:42 am

jt has single hanededly almost destroyed canada in his first term, lets hope its also his last before its to late to bounce back from his mess
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17927
Likes: 13120 posts
Liked in: 7499 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby Poindexter » Aug 27th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Merry wrote:
Poindexter wrote:Well then I guess we'll see if this opens the floodgates to JT's clamping down on freedom of opinion. Until then let's keep vigilant but move on with our lives.

In other words, you think we should simply ignore it when authority figures use their position to try to intimidate people into not expressing their political views, or not asking difficult questions.

Do you really believe that? Or do you only believe it when the authority figure in question is someone whose views you share?


Nice but JT wasnt my horse in the race. While I didn't vote for him I'm concerned over what I'm witnessing because our political discourse is mirroring the ugliness I saw happen to Obama. There are real problems with JT such as his spending that people should be concerned about, but this downtrodden conservative free speech narrative is so transparent that anyone with enough intelligence should be insulted. This isn't about what he did, this is about who he is and I would hope we were better than that in Canada but I'm starting to loose faith in this notion.

Omnitheo likes this post.
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
 
Posts: 5984
Likes: 3986 posts
Liked in: 4550 posts
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby floppi » Aug 27th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Merry wrote:
Poindexter wrote:Well then I guess we'll see if this opens the floodgates to JT's clamping down on freedom of opinion. Until then let's keep vigilant but move on with our lives.

In other words, you think we should simply ignore it when authority figures use their position to try to intimidate people into not expressing their political views, or not asking difficult questions.

Do you really believe that? Or do you only believe it when the authority figure in question is someone whose views you share?


No I expect our leaders to call out racism when it rears it's ugly head. Any leader worth their salt will do that. It's laugh to say the racist granny shrew was intimidated into silence, in fact, their MO is to double down and shout out their hatred whoever their target is. They have no interest in an answer, just that their hate filled narratives are heard.
floppi
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2706
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 1002 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2007, 12:46 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby Merry » Aug 27th, 2018, 12:16 pm

And what, exactly, was it that lady said (or did) at that political rally that constitutes racism?

The answer is NOTHING - therefore she did not deserve the treatment she received from our Prime Minister and those two RCMP officers.

If we allow our authority figures to intimidate people just because we dislike their belief system, we'll no longer have freedom of speech and thought in Canada.

Is that what you really want?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
User avatar
Merry
Guru
 
Posts: 8938
Likes: 8163 posts
Liked in: 7433 posts
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:41 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby the truth » Aug 27th, 2018, 12:17 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 27th, 2018, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17927
Likes: 13120 posts
Liked in: 7499 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby floppi » Aug 27th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Merry wrote:And what, exactly, was it that lady said (or did) at that political rally that constitutes racism?

The answer is NOTHING - therefore she did not deserve the treatment she received from our Prime Minister and those two RCMP officers.

If we allow our authority figures to intimidate people just because we dislike their belief system, we'll no longer have freedom of speech and thought in Canada.

Is that what you really want?


She asked JT, Are you intolerant of whites supremist organization Québécois de souche? In English, thats the same as asking do you support the KKK? I guess for some people that is NOTHING. But for most of us, that is SOMETHING. Even the PCS have nothing more to say on this topic as further discussion makes them side with the shrew racist granny.
floppi
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2706
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 1002 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2007, 12:46 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby rustled » Aug 27th, 2018, 12:40 pm

JT's first response to the woman's first question is the one I have a problem with.

Some here insist JT's superior intuitive powers assured him he knew who he was dealing with and what she would say next.

Well, alas, others among us have no such faith in JT's clairvoyant abilities, which is why we expect the leader of our country to respond to a question about the impacts of government policy on immigration with the same respect he shows those questioning his government's policy on pipelines.

2 people like this post.
rustled
Guru
 
Posts: 7108
Likes: 11421 posts
Liked in: 9061 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby floppi » Aug 27th, 2018, 12:51 pm

rustled wrote:JT's first response to the woman's first question is the one I have a problem with.

Some here insist JT's superior intuitive powers assured him he knew who he was dealing with and what she would say next.

Well, alas, others among us have no such faith in JT's clairvoyant abilities, which is why we expect the leader of our country to respond to a question about the impacts of government policy on immigration with the same respect he shows those questioning his government's policy on pipelines.


If the RCMP didn't give JT a heads up about the racist granny who's all over social media then JT's staff would have prepared him for the inevitable. This is Quebec and I'm sure it's not the first merry go round with racist organizations in Quebec. Pierre had to deal with them in his time and now it's JT's time to call them out. You can tell in the video he relish the opportunity to call a spade a spade as he makes a beeline for the racist shrew after his speech. Oh believe me, he knew exactly who she is.
floppi
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2706
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 1002 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2007, 12:46 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby coffeeFreak » Aug 27th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Merry wrote:And what, exactly, was it that lady said (or did) at that political rally that constitutes racism?

The answer is NOTHING - therefore she did not deserve the treatment she received from our Prime Minister and those two RCMP officers.

If we allow our authority figures to intimidate people just because we dislike their belief system, we'll no longer have freedom of speech and thought in Canada.

Is that what you really want?


Being called a racist really has nothing to do with her "freedom of opinion" as she exerted that freedom continuously for quite some time during and after Trudeau's comments in spite of being told over and over to stop by others in the crowd. And, there is no way in hell a man (of any colour) or anyone with darker skin would ever get away with yapping off the way she did to those officers and not get thrown on the ground with their hands behind their back. Her blatant disrespect towards two very patient police officers was shameful.

And finally, I can't believe she has turned into some poster child for the 'poor downtrodden and oppressed Right'...Sheesh, can you dig any deeper?

Omnitheo likes this post.
User avatar
coffeeFreak
Guru
 
Posts: 5257
Likes: 1263 posts
Liked in: 536 posts
Joined: Oct 22nd, 2009, 6:06 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby rustled » Aug 27th, 2018, 1:10 pm

floppi wrote:
rustled wrote:JT's first response to the woman's first question is the one I have a problem with.

Some here insist JT's superior intuitive powers assured him he knew who he was dealing with and what she would say next.

Well, alas, others among us have no such faith in JT's clairvoyant abilities, which is why we expect the leader of our country to respond to a question about the impacts of government policy on immigration with the same respect he shows those questioning his government's policy on pipelines.


If the RCMP didn't give JT a heads up about the racist granny who's all over social media then JT's staff would have prepared him for the inevitable. This is Quebec and I'm sure it's not the first merry go round with racist organizations in Quebec. Pierre had to deal with them in his time and now it's JT's time to call them out. You can tell in the video he relish the opportunity to call a spade a spade as he makes a beeline for the racist shrew after his speech. Oh believe me, he knew exactly who she is.

Nonsense.

They couldn't even let JT know when he was inviting someone to India he ought not to have invited.

It would have been daft of JT to make a beeline for her. I very much doubt his father would have bothered going after her. Chretien, perhaps, but not PET.

She headed for where he was going, which was a daft thing for her to do, and at that point the RCMP and others intervened as they would with other hecklers.
rustled
Guru
 
Posts: 7108
Likes: 11421 posts
Liked in: 9061 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby rustled » Aug 27th, 2018, 1:11 pm

coffeeFreak wrote:
Merry wrote:And what, exactly, was it that lady said (or did) at that political rally that constitutes racism?

The answer is NOTHING - therefore she did not deserve the treatment she received from our Prime Minister and those two RCMP officers.

If we allow our authority figures to intimidate people just because we dislike their belief system, we'll no longer have freedom of speech and thought in Canada.

Is that what you really want?


Being called a racist really has nothing to do with her "freedom of opinion" as she exerted that freedom continuously for quite some time during and after Trudeau's comments in spite of being told over and over to stop by others in the crowd. And, there is no way in hell a man (of any colour) or anyone with darker skin would ever get away with yapping off the way she did to those officers and not get thrown on the ground with their hands behind their back. Her blatant disrespect towards two very patient police officers was shameful.

And finally, I can't believe she has turned into some poster child for the 'poor downtrodden and oppressed Right'...Sheesh, can you dig any deeper?

IMO, the only people making her out to be "downtrodden" are those wanting to draw attention away from JT's inappropriate first response to her first question.
rustled
Guru
 
Posts: 7108
Likes: 11421 posts
Liked in: 9061 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 1:47 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests