Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby Merry » Aug 27th, 2018, 1:28 pm

I went back and re-watched the original video to listen once again to the lady's question.

She asked "I want to know when you are going to refund the $146 million we paid for your illegal immigrants?"

To which Trudeau replied "This intolerance towards immigrants has no place in Canada".

But the lady made no reference to immigrants in general, only to ILLEGAL immigrants. And her use of the word "your" implies that the illegal immigrants she had in mind are the large influx of illegal border crossers following Trudeau's foolish tweet.

The lady is not alone in thinking that the Federal Government should be footing the bill for the cost of processing and caring for all those thousands of people - our Provincial Governments feel the same way. Does that mean that they too are intolerant towards immigrants? Of course it doesn't.

Most Canadians are in favour of our immigration system; but that doesn't mean we're also in favour of allowing economic migrants to jump the queue, by illegally crossing our border and taking advantage of our generous asylum system. Particularly while those who our refugee/asylum system is intended to benefit languish in overseas camps, in often dreadful conditions.

But even more disturbing, when you watch that video, are the attempts by the RCMP to harass that lady. What had she done (other than annoy Trudeau by asking a question he didn't want to answer) that warranted being grabbed by the arm, and told to come with them? Followed by a demand to see her id (when it was obvious she didn't have any, as she was not carrying a handbag and didn't appear to have any pockets). The fact that they eventually backed off proves that they knew they were in the wrong IMO.

Even if they did know her political leanings (although there is absolutely no evidence that they did), that still doesn't give them the right to act as they did. Because the group she is a member of is not an illegal organization in Canada.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

5 people like this post.
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 8663 posts

Postby the truth » Aug 27th, 2018, 1:38 pm

exactly............. case closed
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

3 people like this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7851 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Aug 27th, 2018, 2:23 pm

floppi wrote:She asked JT, Are you intolerant of whites supremist organization Québécois de souche? .

Where? When? What part of the video? Please advise Merry.
Al Jolson, Robert Downey Jr., Jimmy Kimmel or Justin Trudeau - who did blackface better? Who's the bigger racist? Please vote and kick this embarrassing piece of *bleep* to the curb.

3 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 24111 posts

Postby rustled » Aug 27th, 2018, 4:08 pm

People see what they want to see. As the "keep Canada white" shows, pretty much anything in Canadian federal politics can be turned into an issue of "those of us who believe in JT's superior intuition versus you defenders of deplorable racists". Defenders of deplorable racists being anyone who doesn't think JT handles every situation properly, and those who simply expect him to do better.

2 people like this post.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 10382 posts

Postby Merry » Aug 27th, 2018, 4:14 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:
floppi wrote:She asked JT, Are you intolerant of whites supremist organization Québécois de souche? .

Where? When? What part of the video? Please advise Merry.

Later in the video she asks
"We demand that you refund the $146 million to the Quebecois that was given to illegal immigrants"
And, when Trudeau refuses to answer she then says
"Answer me Mr. Trudeau"
Still no answer, so she says
"I want to know when you are going to refund the $146 million we paid for your illegal immigrants"
To which Trudeau responds
"This intolerance towards immigrants has no room in Canada. This intolerance (inaudible)...."
The crowd begins to cheer Trudeau and to turn on the woman (must have been quite frightening for her).
She tries to shout over the crowd to get Trudeau's attention, calling out
" Trudeau. Trudeau"
At which point a man in the crowd (a plant?) says
"Hey, she is saying threats. She is threatening...." (Keep in mind she's an elderly lady dressed in shorts and a t shirt. Not sure how she could be seen as threatening, and she certainly didn't say anything threatening)
Despite the fact she didn't make any threats, a second man in the crowd says
" Yes, yes. She's sending threats. Get her out!"
The woman ignores them, and attempts to contact Trudeau again by saying
"Hey, Mr. Trudeau"
At which point a big man (much bigger than the lady) invades her space and says
"Are you making threats?"
The woman ignores him, and calls out again to Trudeau
" Hey, Mr. Trudeau, I have another question. I have another question."
"Mr. Trudeau, are you.... (the crowd makes the woman inaudible)"
The woman tries again
"Mr. Trudeau, are you tolerant toward the Quebecois?"
"Mr. Trudeau, are you tolerant toward the Quebecois de souche?"
"Are you tolerant toward the Quebecois?
At that point somebody in the crowd starts talking to her (inaudible) and a different person in the crowd (nothing to do with the woman) starts heckling Trudeau.
The woman begins to heckle Trudeau again about whether or not he's tolerant toward the Quebecois, at which point someone in the crowd tells her to "shut the (profanity) up".
The guy who later identifies himself as RCMP can be seen standing immediately behind the woman. He does nothing to prevent certain crowd members from harassing her (even though she must have felt very intimidated standing in the middle of such a hostile crowd).
More people tell her to "shut the (profanity) up" to which she responds "Mind your own business" and "I have the right to (inaudible)"
She makes her way through the crowd toward Trudeau, and the RCMP guy can be seen following her.
When she gets within earshot of Trudeau, she tries again
"Mr. Trudeau, are you tolerant towards Quebecois de souche?"
To which he responds
"Madam, your intolerance (inaudible)..." followed by " Your racism has no place here. Your racism has no place here".

It's interesting to note that one of the men seen holding the crowd back from Trudeau, is also one of the men seen heckling the woman earlier in the video.

Now, whatever we may think of that woman's politics, or of her political affiliations with a far right group, she neither said nor did anything illegal. Which is why it upsets me so much to watch the rest of the video, which shows her being harassed by a couple of RCMP officers. One grabs her arm and demands she go with him. And only lets go when she tells him she has osteoporosis and he's in danger of breaking her arm. As it is, she's left with a bruise (which she shows to the camera man). Later, that same RCMP officer returns and asks to see her ID (which she clearly doesn't have with her, given her skimpy summer attire of t shirt and shorts).

Asking Trudeau if he's equally tolerant of the wishes of one ethnic group as he is of another, is NOT racist if you have a genuine concern that one group is being treated more favourably at the expense of another. At no time did she say they should reduce the treatment meted out to illegals. All she implied was that the Federal Government should pay for it.

Nobody has the right to "put words in her mouth" or make suppositions about her intentions, based on knowledge gained AFTER THE FACT about her political affiliations. Besides which, provided we're not affiliated with an illegal organization, and provided we're not spreading hate, I was under the impression that it was perfectly legal to question politicians in Canada.

This lady said NOTHING that could be construed as hate speech, and is NOT a member of an illegal organization. So she should not have been treated the way she was, by either our PM or the police. Condoning such treatment, simply because we disagree with the lady's politics, and/or methods, is not acceptable in a democracy such as ours.

It might be acceptable in places like Russia, but not in Canada.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

4 people like this post.
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 8663 posts

Postby the truth » Aug 27th, 2018, 4:56 pm

the only racists in this story is jt and his supporters .........
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7851 posts

Postby floppi » Aug 27th, 2018, 6:20 pm

rustled wrote:Nonsense.

They couldn't even let JT know when he was inviting someone to India he ought not to have invited.

It would have been daft of JT to make a beeline for her. I very much doubt his father would have bothered going after her. Chretien, perhaps, but not PET.

She headed for where he was going, which was a daft thing for her to do, and at that point the RCMP and others intervened as they would with other hecklers.

[icon_lol2.gif] ...and that's a big deflection. Atwal was invited by MP Sarai into his entourage and the Indian government is primarily responsible for the security afterall it is there country.

A government official, discussing the matter on condition of anonymity, has said guest lists for receptions such as those in India are not vetted individually for security. Those who issue the invites are expected to do their own due diligence to ensure their own guests are safe, the official said.

The bottom line tho, despite all the deflections and the smoke screen ( after looking at this afternoon's posts ), the only part that matters is when the shrew racist granny asks Trudeau, "Are you intolerant of the Québécois de souche ( KKK )?
JT then answers, Madam racism have no place here. The one and only correct answer from a leader of a country. The rest, especially in the beginning is all polispeak, throwing pat lines out without substance. See and you guys were worried JT isn't ready and seasoned. This encounter tells me he's doing very well in that regard. Looks like another 4 years so I'm sure by the end of the second term, he will more than be ready.

Ka-El likes this post.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1252 posts

Postby crookedmember » Aug 27th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Here is an actual transcript of Trudeau and the deplorable racists:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tranla ... -1.4793229

I applaud Mr. Trudeau for being so patient with these ugly bigots.
Like most schemes, it started with vodka.

2 people like this post.
crookedmember
Übergod

Liked in: 361 posts

Postby Ka-El » Aug 27th, 2018, 6:48 pm

floppi wrote: The bottom line tho, despite all the deflections and the smoke screen ( after looking at this afternoon's posts ), the only part that matters is when the shrew racist granny asks Trudeau, "Are you intolerant of the Québécois de souche ( KKK )? JT then answers, Madam racism have no place here. The one and only correct answer from a leader of a country.

I too have no tolerance for intolerance (especially racist white supremacy) so I guess I'm with Trudeau on this one.
Damn autocorrect; I'm sick and tired of your shirt.

Omnitheo likes this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6835 posts

Postby OKkayak » Aug 27th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Ka-El wrote:I too have no tolerance for intolerance (especially racist white supremacy) so I guess I'm with Trudeau on this one.

I have no tolerance for intolerance and make zero bias towards any race and don't try to schmear people for asking a legitimate question regardless of their political ideologies in efforts to deflect the actual issue at hand.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

2 people like this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4932 posts

Postby Ka-El » Aug 27th, 2018, 6:55 pm

OKkayak wrote: I have no tolerance for intolerance and make zero bias towards any race and don't try to schmear people for asking a legitimate question regardless of their political ideologies in efforts to deflect the actual issue at hand.

..., the only part that matters is when the shrew racist granny asks Trudeau, "Are you intolerant of the Québécois de souche ( KKK )? JT then answers, Madam racism have no place here. The one and only correct answer from a leader of a country.

*note the bolded part: the issue at hand
Last edited by Ka-El on Aug 27th, 2018, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damn autocorrect; I'm sick and tired of your shirt.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6835 posts

Postby floppi » Aug 27th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Deflection is when you don't call a racist a racist.

Ka-El likes this post.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1252 posts

Postby OKkayak » Aug 27th, 2018, 6:57 pm

crookedmember wrote:Here is an actual transcript of Trudeau and the deplorable racists:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tranla ... -1.4793229

I applaud Mr. Trudeau for being so patient with these ugly bigots.

Bigots or not, she had a legitimate question and it should have been responded to just as much as if a question was being asked if the Prime Minister was open to Sharia Law or other issues from other groups.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

2 people like this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Postby OKkayak » Aug 27th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Ka-El wrote:*note the bolded part: the issue at hand

Note the issue at hand is a legitimate question was asked.

- James Tiberius Kirk

3 people like this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Postby OKkayak » Aug 27th, 2018, 7:00 pm

floppi wrote:Deflection is when you don't call a racist a racist.

You're confusing a racist with people who have legitimate concerns because it goes against your idealogical beliefs.

- James Tiberius Kirk

Merry likes this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to Canada